Growing up Then and Now.

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Growing up Then and Now.

Post by HHTel »

Saw this on FB.
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine ..medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitch-hiking .. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Play stations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Growing up Then and Now.

Post by HHTel »

I'm sure many of us on the forum can relate to this:

Growing up in the '50s and '60:
50s.jpg
(137.88 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And wasn't number 6 delicious! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

There was a Chinese restaurant on Deansgate, Manchester called The Willow Garden in the 60's. Sometimes after a trip to Manch Mum and Dad would take us. Starter, Tomato soup followed by steak and chips. Even up to her passing Mum never did eat rice. :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:47 am And wasn't number 6 delicious! :thumb:
It was a fight with my two sisters on who got the brown skin from being baked in the oven!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 pm Even up to her passing Mum never did eat rice. :laugh: :laugh:
Unless it was in a rice pudding, presumably!
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A couple of years before I entered this mortal coil but I remember seeing the April Fools Day re runs. :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:36 pm
sateeb wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:28 pm Even up to her passing Mum never did eat rice. :laugh: :laugh:
Unless it was in a rice pudding, presumably!
Oh no! Norwegian mother and reluctant ex pat :laugh: :laugh: . We were served Norwegian Riskrem.
A Norwegian Christmas Dessert
The riskrem is a rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, and sometimes chopped almonds. In it normally also goes a whole almond, and the one who gets the almond wins a marzipan pig.

Never had a traditional Sunday roast until my late teens, and yes I am expecting the usual riposte Mr DM :naughty:

― George Carlin
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Not sure about no. 12. I thought fish fingers had been around since WW2 at least. We certainly had them fairly regularly in the 60s.

No. 24... <sigh> do any families sit around the table and eat together? Not many, I'm sure.

Fast food was fish & chips. Can't think of anything else in those days, unless you went up to the East End for winkles or eel pie...

Thinking back, I remember regular egg & chips, mince & onions with mash, fish fingers (with ketchup of course), Sunday roast (pretty much always) - and a couple of slices of sliced white bread and with almost everything! Especially to mop up the gravy. Some nice puds too, with custard made from Bird's custard powder. Oh, and baked beans of course.

Spaghetti? Loads of the stuff, but only in tins with tomato sauce, occasionally shaped like the alphabet.

In 1967 my dad sold his shoe repair shop (with the one bedroom flat above! :laugh: ) and we moved out of London to a village in East Sussex where my parents ran a VG village store. My diet improved immensely! We picked up trays of freshly baked bread from the bakery in the next village -the smell... OMG it was heavenly! A nice thick slice with butter melting on top...

And cheese... all the English varieties of course, but nothing 'foreign'!

Unfortunately most of my year from the age of 11 was spent eating boarding school food... :(
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I liked most of school dinners - back in the 60’s there were never chips on the menu. My favourite desserts were banana and custard and lemon meringue pie and my least favourite (although liked by others) was Gypsy tart.

I can remember eating sugar sandwiches - yes two slices of bread and butter with granulated sugar (Tate and Lyle of course) and ketchup sandwiches (Heinz of course).
If we’d run out of cereal, I would have a slice or two of bread broken into mouth size pieces and eaten with hot milk and sugar. And let’s not forget bread and dripping with the meat juices for extra flavour. Happy memories!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:52 pm I can remember eating sugar sandwiches - yes two slices of bread and butter with granulated sugar (Tate and Lyle of course) and ketchup sandwiches (Heinz of course).
Known as Bubby Sug where I come from.

As for the ketchup sandwiches, I still have them. Not often, but still have them.
I would have a slice or two of bread broken into mouth size pieces and eaten with hot milk and sugar.
Milk Sops - mind you, we had it with salt, not sugar. For a real treat, you could add a sliced boiled egg.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:06 pm
Fast food was fish & chips. Can't think of anything else in those days, unless you went up to the East End for winkles or eel pie..
I loved winkles, eating them with my dad for Sunday tea. A pint and a half's worth. I had the smaller version. And then I invented the (still) completely unknown winkle sandwich, with a touch of white pepper and vinegar. Even my dad turned his nose up at that - literally!

Not sure why you needed to go to the East end. Shellfish was sold everywhere in London in those day's. Especially outside of pubs. Or in my local when growing up, you would order from 'Harry the fish' as he did the rounds, plus a pint at each pub he stopped at!
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:00 pm Not sure why you needed to go to the East end. Shellfish was sold everywhere in London in those day's. Especially outside of pubs. Or in my local when growing up, you would order from 'Harry the fish' as he did the rounds, plus a pint at each pub he stopped at!
I'm sure you're right, but I was 10 when we moved away from London, and rather than winkles, my main dietary focus prior to that was on getting 4-a-penny blackjacks and fruit salads, sherbert dips and Milky bars from Perry's the local newsagent, and the cream from the top of the milk! :laugh:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Growing up Then and Now.

Post by Dannie Boy »

The “winkle man” used to come round our street every Sunday in a small van, selling winkles and all manner of seafood - I remember my mum being fond of potted shrimps!!

And during school holidays we would go to Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey and my grandad would go cockling in the muddy sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not sure about no. 12. I thought fish fingers had been around since WW2 at least. We certainly had them fairly regularly in the 60s.
Birds Eye launched the fish finger in the Autumn of 1955 at the Brighton Sales conference. * The price at the time was 1s 8d. * Fish fingers were packaged in a hand-made wax coated carton, where they were individually packed and wrapped in a printed waxed film.