Samut Songkhram Mini-Break. Photo Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Samut Songkhram Mini-Break. Photo Report

Post by Big Boy »

15 August 2023
Day 1

We set off at 12:30 on the 76 mile trip to Samut Songkhram. A very uneventful journey, and we arrived by 14:30.

First impressions of the Baan Saranrom, Amphawa resort were utter disappointment. We pulled into the car park, and I was looking for the rest of the resort. A tiny little square with 4 parking spaces, and very little turning room. From the Agoda photos, I was expecting a resort full of bungalows, and I’d be parked outside our bungalow. In reality, there were about 3 bungalows, and a 2 story accommodation block. As the only guests we were in the accommodation block. The fact I had booked a ground floor room with wheelchair access had fallen upon deaf ears (more about deaf ears in a minute). We were asked if we wanted ground or first floor. The pathway to the accommodation block was not suitable for a wheelchair – the surface of the moon would have been smoother, and at 6’ 5” I had to limbo under some of the overgrown shrubs in the garden. Lucky I’d had some practice doing the limbo in the cave a few weeks ago.
IMG_8254.jpg
(392.16 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8255.jpg
IMG_8255.jpg (138.56 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
IMG_8256.jpg
(357 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8257.jpg
IMG_8257.jpg (140.22 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
IMG_8258.jpg
(383.23 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8259.jpg
(307.33 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8260.jpg
(347.7 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8261.jpg
(399 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8262.jpg
(268.11 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
Checking in was agony. The old woman wanted to know everything, and insisted I fill in the most intrusive hotel check-in form in Thai that I’ve ever seen. Of course, she had to tell me what to write in every field. I was writing in English, so she didn‘t have a clue what I was writing. All of this while she was shouting at the top of her voice because I couldn’t hear her because she had an Indian movie on the TV at full volume.

Next came breakfast. She would be ordering it in – what would we like? The options were Rice Soup, Shrimp Fried Rice (I don’t do seafood) or Pad Kapow (too hot for breakfast). I opted for the Rice Soup, or at least my dear wife opted on my behalf for the first morning. We have to go to a grubby dining area to eat it. I guess it’s something to look forward to in the morning.

The Baan Saranron was a recommendation from a friend, who has always made good recommendations in the past. The thing that swung it for me with his recommendation was that reception would book the Firefly trip. My wife asked, and was told a definite no. In fact, the lady said you can only view fireflies at the weekend. I was getting quite P’d with the hotel by this stage.

We got to our room, and it was not too bad once you looked through the horrible green paintwork. It was clean and very spacious. It was fortunate I’d remembered to bring by plug adapter because none of my electrical appliances would fit the room’s electrical sockets, and that included my wife’s essential oxygen condenser.
IMG_8195.jpg
(138.8 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8196.jpg
(144.65 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg (67.18 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
IMG_8198.jpg
(193.45 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
Biggest gripe about the room was the doorway in and out of the bathroom. My (Thai sized) wife could go in and out without a problem. Me, I simply forgot to limbo - I now have several large lumps on my head as a result. I didn't receive any sympathy whatsoever each time I banged my head.

In all honesty, Baan Saranron did grow on us, and actually turned out to be excellent value for money (it must just be me – a miserable old git). Even the old woman who checked us in turned out not to be as old as I thought, and she was very helpful to my wife during our stay.

It was now time to ask Mr. Google about fireflies. It seemed to be a nightly event, and suggested prices ranged from 1500฿ to >8,000฿ if you booked via some Bangkok travel agencies that I saw on my enquiries. My friend had paid 600฿ for a private boat (him and his wife). I hoped my friend was right, but was prepared to pay the 1500฿.

Amphawa wasn’t far, but too far for my wife to walk.
IMG_8212.jpg
(152.88 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
I wasn’t going to push a wheelchair along dark, strange roads in wheelchair unfriendly Thailand. I drove 2 minutes to the Floating Market and straight into a parking space. We got out of the car, and my wife asked a lady who just happened to be standing there where you get a boat to see the fireflies? The lady said follow me and took us around the corner, and put us in touch with a local boatman, who asked for 600฿. I was very happy with that, and he took our money, showed us where his boat was moored, said to come back at dusk.
IMG_8201.jpg
(241.65 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
We found a nice place to sit and wait. When we returned, the boatman apologized, and said we’d have to share the boat with another family, and returned 300฿ to me – result.

I’d been to Amphawa Floating Market once before and it immediately became one of my most hated experiences in Thailand. So busy, and dirty. Tonight, being there on a Tuesday evening with very few people around it was quite beautiful in its own way. I was quite relaxed sitting by the river whilst waiting for our boat. OK, the river was muddy, and there was a lot of trash flowing out to sea, but this is Thailand.
IMG_8202.jpg
(245.59 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8203.jpg
(237.13 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8205.jpg
(243.57 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8210.jpg
(277.45 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8239.jpg
(275.48 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
At least it was quiet until old men driving their prick extensions disturbed the peace. They were most certainly breaking the 10kph speed limit. Their waves damaging their own homes/livelihoods.
IMG_8213.jpg
(274.36 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8235.jpg
(240.98 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
There were some very ornate light fittings alongside the river. This seems to be a feature at most Thai attractions.
IMG_8207.jpg
(77.72 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
IMG_8208.jpg
(87.46 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
We got on the boat, and sat in the front 2 seats.
IMG_8240.jpg
(249.98 KiB) Downloaded 1246 times
The other family sat behind us, and we didn’t even know they were there. Off to see the fireflies, and what an amazing site. I tried to video them, but all you see is little white dots on a black screen – not very exciting to see like that, but seeing them in the flesh so to speak was something else. I simply deleted the videos. The boatman knew exactly where to find the little beasties, and as he approached he flashed something akin to a green car indicator light, and the trees became illuminated with fairy lights. Beautiful is the only way to describe it. Photos were also useless I’m afraid. A thoroughly recommended experience though – something everybody should see once. Nature at its best. We were both very pleased that we had done the trip.

After the boat, we found a riverside restaurant and ate a very average meal, which was very reasonably priced for the setting at 500฿ for the 2 of us.
20230815_203303.jpg
20230815_203303.jpg (216.85 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
……………………………/to be continued.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Samut Songkhram Mini-Break. Photo Report

Post by buksida »

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the accommodation, we didn't find it too bad but our needs are not as great (maybe you should stick to 4/5* places to avoid disappointment!) I always let the mrs check-in, her Thai ID card is photocopied and the process is over in seconds.

I did say a hotel should be able to book it for you, I didn't say that specific hotel would, which is why we walked down to the river and chatted to the boatmen directly.

Glad you enjoyed the fireflies, I didn't waste time trying to photograph them either!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did say the place grew on us (my head almost became part of the fixtures and fittings going in and out of the bathroom). I think it was the shock of the tiny car park and the interrogation at reception, whilst being blasted by an Indian movie at full pelt that put me off.

Once I'd recovered from the initiation ceremony, it was fine - everything we needed.

[Edit] You haven't seen the rest of the report yet. My comments do become more favourable :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

16 August 2023

Day 2 Part 1

Breakfast is supposedly the most important meal of the day. This was the day we experienced the Baan Saranrom, Amphawa Resort breakfast for the first time. As the only residents, we wandered across to the breakfast area at about 07:50. The place was deserted, but our breakfasts were sat there waiting for us.
IMG_8263.jpg
IMG_8263.jpg (114.21 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Rice Soup, followed by toast and jam. Accompanied by coffee, made with powdered milk - quite disgusting. I was pleasantly surprised by the soup, which was still warm, and my wife prepared my toast and jam. I wasn’t looking forward to the soup, but it was quite edible.
IMG_8264.jpg
(173.21 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Going away anywhere in Thailand in August is always high risk, weather wise, especially when you can’t let your wife get wet in the rain. Before finalizing today’s plan, I checked the weather……11am thunder storms, 2pm thunder storms, 3pm thunder storms. We were going to be a fair while in my car and travelling on a train, so I decided we would go for it, and play it by ear if/when it rained.

When formulating my plans for this trip, there were 2 things I had outstanding on my to do list that we would knock off today. One was getting the train in and out of the Railway Market, which meant boarding and alighting the train at Ban Laem, which is across the river from Samut Sakhon. The other thing was walking on the Red Bridge, which I thought was Samut Songkhram, but when I drilled down, it was also Samut Sakhon. It made a lot of sense to knock these 2 off in one hit.

I set off at 08:30 to catch the 10:10 train to Mae Klong Railway Market. We made good time, and I arrived at Ban Laem railway station at 09:15. On my plan for today, was also a visit to Wat Laem Suwannaram, which was formerly known as "Wat Hua Ban". We were early, so we looked at the temple first.

Wat Laem Suwannaram

Built directly beside the railway station, it did look quite good in photos. I did my duty and snapped a few pictures,
IMG_8265.jpg
IMG_8265.jpg (90.01 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
IMG_8266.jpg
(226.4 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8267.jpg
IMG_8267.jpg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
IMG_8268.jpg
(192.58 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
but the really amazing thing about this temple was the temple dogs. They must be the best fed temple dogs in Thailand. Pot calling the kettle black, but they were all grossly overweight. I love dogs, and always speak to them. Well not only were these dogs fat, they were probably the nastiest bunch I had encountered in Thailand – I think they must eat young kids. 4 of these heavyweights decided they wanted one of my legs for breakfast. Fortunately, dogs don’t scare me. I just stood my ground, and talked nicely to them (a dog whisperer) – it usually confuses the hell out of them, and this time was no exception. I guess I was supposed to run, and they were going to chase me. I’m too old and fat to run, and I think the dogs were just too fat to run – a bit of a stalemate. I just stood there talking to them until they decided I was not going to give them any sport (they’d have got a size 15 if they had tried anything). I finished taking my snaps, and went back to my wife’s wheelchair, and we continued to the station.
IMG_8269.jpg
(345.29 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8270.jpg
(334.69 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8271.jpg
(320.69 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8272.jpg
(322.85 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8273.jpg
(334.69 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Just before the station, there was a little walkway down to the river. I promptly left the wheelchair, and went to look at the river.
IMG_8274.jpg
(182.36 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8275.jpg
(248.42 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
When I got there, I experienced one of the worst smells ever. I can only imagine it is where the entirety of the province’s sewerage gets discharged. It hit me all at once, and my wife started shouting at me to get her out of there as well. Strange thing was, it was very localized. 5 yards further on and there was no smell. We got hit by the same smell when we returned a couple of hours later.

Ban Laem Railway Station
IMG_8276.jpg
(246 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8288.jpg
IMG_8288.jpg (115.18 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
IMG_8284.jpg
(277.95 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
We booked our tickets – a massive 10฿ each way.
IMG_8285.jpg
(257.81 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8278.jpg
(165.15 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8286.jpg
(161.5 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Mind you, the train only had plastic seats.
IMG_8299.jpg
(160.54 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Many train stations in Thailand have vintage trains on display. Ban Laem had one of the worst examples of a vintage train ever. I hope it is there for some kind of major restoration work.
IMG_8279.jpg
(300.66 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8280.jpg
(290.76 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8282.jpg
(275.7 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8283.jpg
(261.14 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
There was some colourful 'Graffiti style' artwork along one side of the station.
IMG_8294.jpg
(284.79 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
IMG_8295.jpg
(293.76 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
The service from Ban Laem to Mae Klong Railway Market is quite unique. The service runs on a bit of a peninsular. If travelling from Bangkok, you need to get off the train and catch a boat across the water to Ban Laem. Likewise, if you want to travel further than Mae Klong Railway Market, you need to get off the train and catch a boat to the other side of the river. The service runs isolated with no bridges joining it to the rest of Thailand’s railway network.

It was pretty amazing how close the train came to residential properties as we travelled. There were warnings throughout the carriages not to put limbs out of the windows. Anybody that did would surely have lost an arm or a head.

The purpose of the trip was to travel through the Railway Market on the train. How amazing. So close to all of the people watching. I could have filled a suitcase with onlooker’s phones if I was that way inclined. All being held high, looking into the train windows. I took a video going into the market and again in the opposite direction . Everybody seemed to be enjoying it.

The train from Ban Laem was empty until just before the market,
IMG_8292.jpg
(201.27 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
when it suddenly filled up with tourists.
IMG_8301.jpg
(243.49 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Going towards the market the tourists were mainly European/American. Going towards Ban Laem they were mainly Korean. The space when they weren’t there was nice, but their presence (standing room only) going in and out of the market was all part of the experience. It would have been clear to anybody travelling the return service as we did on the day, who is actually paying to keep the train running. Locals using the service were very few. It was the tourists from about 5 stations out to the Railway Market and back again. Thailand being Thailand, I am very surprised tourists don’t pay a stupidly enhanced fare as they do at Kanchanaburi to cross the Bridge Over the River Kwai. Of course, as the tourist only use the stations from 5 stops before the railway market, there may well of been a tourist surcharge – I don’t know.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a tourist surcharge. In Kanchanaburi, you can avoid it by getting on the train in Ban Pong, if you get a ticket near the bridge you'll be charged ten times more.

Looks like an interesting train ride, one I've never done.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 am Looks like an interesting train ride, one I've never done.
The bird life along the salt farms was amazing to see from the train.

IMG_8310.jpg
(286.46 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
IMG_8326.jpg
(254.82 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

16 August 2023

Day 2 Part 2

The Red Bridge

This was a 43 minute drive from Ban Laem Railway Station, and I was getting moans all of the way that my wife was hungry. I was trying to get this done before the rain came, so wasn’t stopping. She should have eaten an extra slice of toast at breakfast.

I’ve wanted to walk along this walkway (not a bridge) out to sea for quite a few years. I hadn’t considered it would be tidal. After all, people go there to observe the dolphins – I presumed they needed a lot of water. When we arrived, all that I could see was mud, mud and more mud. A bit like going to Weston-Super-Mare when the tide is out. Oh flump!!!
IMG_8344.jpg
(212.42 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8348.jpg
(230.81 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8349.jpg
(218.88 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
OK, there was a restaurant near the walkway, so I took my wife for a late lunch – no rush to see more mud!!!

After food, I pushed her up onto the walkway – mainly a concrete path, which was very smooth. Perfect for the wheelchair. The weather was holding up well – very high thin cloud. I took the mandatory ‘proof that we were there’ photos. After the proof photos I must have been 5 yards further along the path when I felt rain. My wife felt it also. We both looked to the heavens, but there was no cloud. However, I had no option but to return her to wait in the car.
IMG_8352.jpg
(276.39 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
I’d turned right along the walkway with my wife. Now that I was alone, I decided to turn left. Actually, my first time on the walkway, I’d seen a strange looking ship in the distance. I wanted to have a better look.
IMG_8354.jpg
(169.1 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8354a.jpg
(144.53 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
I walked to the end of the walkway. What an amazing array of sea birds on the way. Shapes and sizes I’d never seen before. A dream for any twitchers (ornithophiles).
IMG_8351.jpg
(219.87 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8352.jpg
(276.39 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8353.jpg
(215.16 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
When I got to the end, I zoomed in on the ship several miles out to sea. It wasn’t a ship, it was a building. When I showed my wife the photos, she basically shrugged her shoulders, and said somebody has built a Sala out to sea. I asked if anybody knew what it was and what it was used for on a local forum, and was told it was Phra Klang Nam https://www.tourismthailand.org/Accessi ... -klang-nam .
IMG_8354b.jpg
(146.81 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8354c.jpg
(152.63 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8355.jpg
(221.37 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8356.jpg
(239.58 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
IMG_8413.jpg
(191.35 KiB) Downloaded 1034 times
By the time I got back to where my car was parked, the tide was coming in quite swiftly, and there were loads of fish (read dolphin food) swimming up the tributaries. There was a sheltered seating area, which had filled up with people, I assume waiting to see the dolphins as the water rose. I had to get back to the hotel to watch some Lionesses slaughter some Matildas, so I was not waiting. I’d reckon 1 to 2 hours before the water had risen enough for dolphins to be able to swim.

After enjoying the footie, it was time to find somewhere to eat. Midweek Amphawa is worse than Ratchaburi. Everything closes by 8pm. I managed to find one place thanks to Mr. Google that was open until 10pm. I got the car to the resort entrance, and was waiting to turn right onto the road when I said to my wife, “What’s that?” Directly opposite the hotel, a Thai eatery was lit up like a Christmas Tree – it just looked like a house during the day. We decided to try it instead. I’d driven about 20 yards from the resort car park – the height of laziness. Surprise, surprise, it was Western style food, and very cheap. The 2 of us ate with 3 drinks, and the bill was 327฿. We were already planning to go back the following evening.
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (130.01 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have been to that walkway a couple of times and never seen it with the tide out! Never saw a dolphin either! There are some good restaurants in that area basically overlooking fish farms. You got a better pic than me of the temple.
IMG_0035-007.JPG
(84.78 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Attachments
IMG_0057-003.JPG
(215.91 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
IMG_0016-008.JPG
(186.87 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL - I wasn't really expecting to see a dolphin :laugh:

The restaurant we chose wasn't exactly the best, but my wife was moaning for food so much, we just went to the nearest. A massive place, but empty. It seemed to be a massive inconvenience to the waitresses that my wife wanted food.

When you say fish farms, were these in the sea, or the man made lakes slightly inland? If slightly inland, yes, we did see some nice looking restaurants on our drive back to the hotel, but I had a football match to get back for.

With the temple/shrine, I simply zoomed right in, and put the camera into sport mode. It took about 100 photos in a few seconds - I was bound to get one or 2 decent snaps :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:00 pmWhen you say fish farms, were these in the sea, or the man made lakes slightly inland? If slightly inland, yes, we did see some nice looking restaurants on our drive back to the hotel, but I had a football match to get back for.
Slightly inland. Pam chose.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I think I saw the place in your photo, and commented how nice it looked to my wife.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

17 August 2023

Day 3 Part 1

Day 3 was always planned to be a lazy look around the area i.e. fairly relaxing before returning to Hua Hin the following day. As such, I had 4 visits planned, with a possible 5th if the weather held. I did my usual weather check and rain was forecast for 2pm and 6pm.

Breakfast this morning was pork fried rice. It was still warm, but it got me wondering if this was the future of small hotel breakfasts. Don’t cook it yourself. List a few items from Grab or Food Panda and order them for the following morning. You can get a e.g. fried rice for about 70฿ (no doubt such a contract would attract nice discounts), and no longer have to kit out a kitchen, employ cooks or waiting staff. It is nowhere near as good, but I can see a lot of sense in it. Survival is the name of the game post Covid.

King Rama II Memorial Park

This was our first stop of the day, and I was put off straight away. Signage stated Foreigner price 60฿, Thai price ๒๐ บาท (20฿). Of course, Thais do this because foreigners are too stupid to read Thai characters.
IMG_8417.jpg
(227.57 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8492.jpg
IMG_8492.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Dual pricing is prevalent all over Thailand, and I will generally completely avoid it. Usually foreigners are charged 10x as much as Thais. 3x wasn’t to bad. I was here, and we didn’t have too much planned for the day, so I decided to go in (my wife was paying anyway).

This place was famous for being the birth place of King Rama II, and as with anything connected to royalty in Thailand, it was in pristine condition.
IMG_8416.jpg
(457.74 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Such a beautiful, relaxing place to wander around. I had been pre-warned that the main exhibits were upstairs, so not wheelchair friendly, but I was happy to wander at ground level, and miss out on the exhibits – the grounds were a pleasure anyway. I was surprised to see wheelchairs for hire at the entrance.
IMG_8418.jpg
(369.78 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Most of the walkways were very wheelchair friendly, but a couple did become unfriendly, although my wife was OK to walk short distances.
IMG_8419.jpg
(342.35 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8420.jpg
(312.69 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8421.jpg
(477.11 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8422.jpg
(467.41 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8424.jpg
IMG_8424.jpg (199.46 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
IMG_8425.jpg
(459.3 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8426.jpg
(349.07 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8427.jpg
(343.86 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8428.jpg
(374.74 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
We walked through the grounds until we came to the river at the end.
IMG_8429.jpg
(377.78 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8430.jpg
(179.89 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8432.jpg
(212.75 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8433.jpg
(299.96 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8436.jpg
(335.58 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Beside the river there was an old river boat on display, which I presume had some royal connection, although there was nothing written in English to tell me so. Liking boats, I’d have actually gone on board, but it was closed to visitors.
IMG_8434.jpg
(422.81 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8437.jpg
(383.56 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8441.jpg
(423.25 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
Throughout the grounds, it was easy to see the place was geared up for weekender Bangkokians (as was the entirety of Amphawa). There were empty stalls, which would probably be a hive of activity at weekends. Midweek is definitely the time to visit to avoid the tourist tat and crowds. Even somewhere as serene as King Rama II Memorial Park could be spoiled by crowds.
IMG_8440.jpg
IMG_8440.jpg (193.5 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
IMG_8443.jpg
(419.48 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8444.jpg
(403.29 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
IMG_8445.jpg
(410.1 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
We spent an hour wandering around, so not expensive at 80฿, but I just hate the dual pricing thingy, and the attempted deceit in using Thai characters. If I was ever in the area again, you would not get me in there again. I will generally take people to such places, but will wait outside for them out of principal.

Wat Chulamanee

This was our next planned stop. As I approached, I was getting bad vibes. We could see there was a massive money-making event going on, and they wanted my wallet. The vibes were so bad as we approached, my wallet started trembling in my pocket. When we got to the entrance, and there was a security guard demanding money (40฿) to let me in, I just turned to my wife, and we both agreed that this was not a place we wanted to be at. I avoid Wat Huey Mongkhol in Hua Hin for the same reasons, and it’s free to get in there. I did a U-Turn and set my satnav for Chao Pho Mae Klong Shrine.

Chao Pho Mae Klong Shrine a.k.a. Shrine of the Father Klong

This was our next planned stop. When we got there, the limited parking was full. There was no way I was going to try to negotiate Thai streets pushing a wheelchair. I drove straight past.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't usually object to a few baht to enter these types of places that are obviously well maintained, it's the 400 baht to look at a waterfall I won't entertain!

Glad you've sussed out that avoiding weekends makes the entire trip so much nicer. Thailand is dead during the week (unless you go to Bangsaphan when its dead at the weekend as well!).
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

At King Rama II Memorial Park the entrance fee is 40 ๔๐ baht for Thais and 60 baht for foreigners
20 ๒๐ baht for children
Also it states seniors over 50 is 20 baht
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, maybe that is why Mrs BB was charged 20฿. However, that simply re-enforces the resentment/confusion created by Thailand's dual pricing.

Points 48; Position 20