Samut Songkhram Mini-Break. Photo Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Samut Songkhram Mini-Break. Photo Report

Post by Big Boy »

17 August 2023

Day 3 Part 2

Wat Bang Kung a.k.a. The Temple in a Tree

After 2 failed visits already today, this had to be 3rd time lucky. We were running out of things to see and do. It was an amazing drive to this temple, crossing bridges that seemed to be every half mile or so. Some of the bridges were so severe, I’m sure they’d have ripped the bottom out of/grounded a normal car.

My satnav told me that I’d arrived a bit after the event, and I swung my car in through the exit – having missed the proper entrance by about 400 yards. Fortunately, there was nothing coming in the other direction. I was in a one-way system going in the opposite direction – whoops. This is Thailand, so I suppose I was the only one to notice. I parked up and we went wandering.

The first thing I encountered were dozens of battling statues in various martial arts stances. These statues pay homage to the legendary warriors known as “Naresuan’s Warriors” or “Chao Kae.” Each statue exuded a powerful presence, depicting warriors in dynamic poses, armed with weapons and adorned in armor. These statues represent the courageous fighters who stood by King Naresuan’s side during battles, defending the kingdom with unwavering valor.

The warrior statues of Wat Bang Kung hold deep historical and cultural significance. They serve as a testament to Thailand’s martial heritage and the indomitable spirit of its people. These statues symbolize the bravery, loyalty, and patriotism that define the nation’s history.
IMG_8466.jpg
(271.11 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8447.jpg
(332.84 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8448.jpg
(393.17 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8451.jpg
(383.38 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8458.jpg
(364.05 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8460.jpg
(360.7 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8461.jpg
(383.23 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8462.jpg
(356.13 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
How do you find a temple inside a tree? I was snapping away at statues, but couldn’t see any temple inside a tree. There were plenty of temple buildings, but not inside a tree.

Eventually, a police officer came up to us, and asked why we were walking (wandering aimlessly) with the wheelchair, and hadn’t parked in the Temple in a Tree car park. The answer to that was simple, “We didn’t know where the Temple in a Tree car park was.” He showed us the way. I parked my wife under a shady tree, and went to get my car. Realising my earlier error, I drove out through the exit, turned right down the road for 400 yards and then in through the proper entrance. When I arrived, the nice officer directed me to a parking place.

I had been warned by a friend that this place was not wheelchair friendly. Update……. It most certainly is, and I was able to wheel my wife straight in to the temple to do her thing. There was also a wheelchair outside for people to borrow if needed. So WELL DONE Wat Bang Kung. My only complaint was there were no shoes allowed into the temple (quite normal), but the path from where I had to drop my shoes to the temple entrance was very rough – it hurt (a lot, and definitely not recommended for a diabetic).
IMG_8464.jpg
(427.22 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8469.jpg
(499.75 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8470.jpg
(344.18 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
For the first time in many months I was chastised for not wearing a mask. They were still mandatory at Wat Bang Kung. Fortunately, they were supplied free of charge (although I still carry a box of masks in my car).
IMG_8472.jpg
(378.4 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
What a fantastic concept that a tree has fully encapsulated an entire temple. It did look good as well, and was natural – no Disney effects here. There was no photography allowed inside the temple, but there was a designated photo point outside where you could photograph the Buddha image inside (unfortunately there were people regularly entering and departing through the entrance photo bombing photo after photo).
IMG_8468.jpg
(409.21 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8473.jpg
(372.15 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
It was very peaceful inside, with everybody filing in, saying their little prayer, and moving out again. Nice.

Lunch at Don Hoi Lot

This was a strong recommendation, especially for the Razor Clams. I don’t eat seafood, so it wasn’t of much interest to me, and my wife kept telling me she had never had them before, and wasn’t prepared to try.

With the 2 aborted visits, we were well ahead of today’s schedule, so I made an executive decision, we were going to Don Hoi Lot for lunch, like it or not. What a fantastic drive – bridge after bridge, all on very quiet country roads.

We arrived just after midday, the sun was shining, and there was sand as far as we could see, and I spotted what looked like a seafront pier/restaurant over the sand.
IMG_8477.jpg
(231.56 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
Unlike the previous day when I wanted to see the tide in at the Red Bridge, the tide being out here was perfect. In the distance we could see the people out on the sand collecting razor clams. Not the best photos, but I did manage to zoom in on a few with my little point and shoot (I was using a Coca Cola bottle as a tripod to steady my hand).
IMG_8481.jpg
(261.42 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8482.jpg
(243.1 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8485.jpg
(241.79 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8490.jpg
(179.26 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8491.jpg
(213.37 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
Those guys were a long way away. Many had arrived by boat, and had left their boats high and dry when the tide went out. I guess when the tide comes in, they simply jump in their little boats, and take their catch home.

I was right, it was a nice restaurant on a pier over the sand.
IMG_8478.jpg
(337.95 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8486.jpg
(282.88 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8487.jpg
(256.58 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
My wife ordered, and as well as Tom Yum Goong, she had decided to try the razor clams – she absolutely loved them, and thanked me for taking her. She had ordered so much food for herself, the waitress came up to her afterwards and offered to put what was left in to a doggy bag for later. She was amazed when told there was nothing left. Me, I had a latte choc chip ice-cream. As I said, I don’t do sea food.

While we were sat there, I heard a boat engine on the sand. I looked behind me, and was amazed to see a boat full of people appearing to be travelling along the sand. After lunch, I went to investigate. There was a makeshift pier across the sand, and a very narrow channel (not sure if dredged or natural) in the sand out to the river mouth.
IMG_8476.jpg
(275.97 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
IMG_8488.jpg
IMG_8488.jpg (113.61 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
IMG_8489.jpg
(233.98 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
In my research, I’d read the best way to get to Don Hoi Lot was a boat from Amphawa, but when we got there, I just couldn’t see how with so much sand – mystery solved.

We’ve had great weather all of the time we’ve been here, until now. It is 5:03 on Thursday afternoon, and we have torrential rain, thunder and lightning. That’s fine, we’re in the room, but there is a problem – rainwater was somehow getting into the room, and a corner was flooded (probably the only room in the resort with its own indoor swimming pool).

We’ve been promised a Farang breakfast for the morning – that should be interesting.

After the success of the previous night’s evening meal, we went out during a break in the rain. I’d already promised myself a mixed grill, and was looking forward to it. The place was in darkness – obviously closes on a Thursday. We found another restaurant selling similar food about 100 yards further up the road, it was OK, but it wasn’t a patch on the previous night’s food. I really knew I was in Thailand because I was eating my evening meal with my sandals partially under water where the restaurant had flooded.

……………………………/to be continued.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

18 August 2023

Day 4

The journey home

We were up at about 6:30, and my wife was running about packing (I did my own packing in about 30 seconds). Ablutions out of the way, we went for breakfast just before 8am. The resort was full overnight and the small car park was full of cars/mini-buses. As usual we were first in the breakfast room. We’d been offered a special ‘Farang’ breakfast. What would that be?

All of the breakfasts had been delivered, and lined up like little soldiers, but nothing that resembled a ‘Farang’ breakfast. Then the lady comes in quite proudly, and put the 2 breakfasts in front of us. 2 fried eggs and 4 plastic sausages each!
Farang breakfast.jpg
Farang breakfast.jpg (60.32 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
In fairness, if we’d gone to a hotel with a buffet breakfast, I’d normally take 2 fried eggs and 2 or 3 plastic sausages, so basically the same. The lady explained that she’d kept our breakfasts separate because other guests might help themselves. This statement actually intrigued me.

Sure enough, when the next guest arrived, he took his prawn fried rice, removed the cling film from another plate and took a spoonful of pad kapow, and then took the lid off a rice soup, and put a couple of spoonsful on his plate. He was treating the other guests’ breakfasts like a buffet. I just sat there, totally gobsmacked as I ate my own breakfast – one thing was sure in my mind – he wasn’t going to get one of my plastic sausages. Quite entertaining though, and a good reason for always being first at Thai hotel breakfast table.

Breakfast done, I loaded the car and we were on our way home. I’d scheduled one stop on the way home at Cha-Am.

Wat Tham Chaeng

This place had been regularly cropping up on social media for a few weeks, and I thought, as I pass within a few hundred yards of the place, I’d be as well stopping for a look.

It was easy enough to find, but the final stretch of road was well flooded, and a couple of cars ahead of me did not attempt to pass through the flooded area.
IMG_8510.jpg
(326.59 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
My car usually laughs at flooded water, but as the other cars hadn’t attempted it, I thought I would find an alternative – who knows what was lurking below? Local news would have loved to have shown a stupid Farang being rescued from a giant puddle.

I parked on some muddy land beside the road, and we walked. This attraction was still primarily a building site, so most definitely not wheelchair friendly. Most of the work while we were there was landscaping around the dragon.
IMG_8508.jpg
(365.57 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
We took it easy, and my wife, using her walking stick, managed the few steps.

The dragon was quite a big brute. Social media says the largest in Thailand, which is something I can’t confirm. Just looking at it, I felt it looked more like a white-knuckle ride at Alton Towers.

I took the mandatory photos, and my wife bought a red ribbon to tie on to the dragon.
IMG_8493.jpg
IMG_8493.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
IMG_8497.jpg
IMG_8497.jpg (124.64 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
IMG_8499.jpg
(301.82 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
IMG_8500.jpg
IMG_8500.jpg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
IMG_8502.jpg
(308.42 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
IMG_8505.jpg
IMG_8505.jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
IMG_8509.jpg
(303.69 KiB) Downloaded 728 times
It was impressive, but anybody thinking of going, I’d suggest waiting a few months until the building/landscaping work is complete. I will most likely call in again after my next mini-adventure, which will probably be during October.

We arrived home in Hua Hin just after midday.

……………………………/to be continued.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That statue you saw is a NAGA. A serpent or snake that guards temples. Also known as 'King of the Snakes'. (Naga is sanskrit for snake) The one you saw is the largest in Thailand and is relatively new.

Thanks to my daughter for the education (assuming she's right!)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's certainly new as in built this year. I too had heard it is supposedly the largest, but I'm sure I've seen larger ones running up 'temple on a hill' stair cases. Yes, I knew it was a Nga (or is it spelt Naga - I don't know), but I keep calling it a dragon :oops:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Did you not cross the road from Wat Bang Kung (tree temple) and wander round Bang Kung Camp (Thai Naval Camp). It has quite a history and currently houses a small zoo among other things. You can walk (unfortunately not with a wheelchair) to the other side of the sea wall for some excellent views.

Pulled this off the internet to save me waffling:
Upon arrival at the camp site, you will see a replica of the wall built to commemorate the battle. This camp is a historic Thai naval camp. After the Second Ayutthaya incident. In 2310BE, King Taksin the Great invited the army to camp at Bang Kung district, called Bang Kung Camp, because Mae Klong was the route the Burmese army used to march. he built the wall encircled this temples to be the anchor of the spirit and worship of the military. In another name is Jeen Bang Kung Camp. He gave the names to these soldiers, Pakdee Asa (which mean loyalty volunteer). The hilight is the boxer sculpture in front of the camp. In the year 2311, the king of Angwa led troops through Kanchanaburi to the camp. King Taksin the Great and his closer soldier, Phra Maha Montri (Boonma), join forces to expel the Burmese army. It is a Thai military camp that created a fierce regiment for the Burmese Army, he morale of the Thai people. And it was the first war in Thailand with Burma after the founding of King Taksin the Great with Thon Buri as the capital.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Interesting HHTel. I must say that I didn't even consider a Naval Camp so far from the sea. This coming from a guy that worked in Royal Navy establishments such as Eaglescliffe and Copenacre.

I did spot what looked like an overgrown entrance to what might have been just that place, but didn't explore further because it looked really run down/abandoned inside.
IMG_8463.jpg
IMG_8463.jpg (173.75 KiB) Viewed 986 times
If I'd have known about it in advance, I'd have certainly looked a bit closer.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Naval sentries?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That isn't the entrance. The entrance includes a road going into the complex. On the top of each pillar on the wall is a little model of a Thai sailor. Inside there are a couple of vintage aircraft along with animals - mostly farm animals but some monkeys and bears, an aquarium and aviary.

Apart from the little sailors, you'll notice the anchors either side of the entrance.
This link is google earth in front of the entrance. It does allow you to venture inside.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/ban ... dk80ZncQAg
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In that case, I never saw it - it must have been further up the road.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was certainly no more than a few minutes walk. As you hit the road from the temple, turn left and it was literally a couple of mins walk. Never mind. If you're ever in the area again, I'm sure you'll have a look.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, when I know about somewhere, it sticks. I would make a point of looking next time, just like the boat trip to Phra Klang Nam , which really interests me. Will need relatively calm waters though :D

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Interesting HHTel. I must say that I didn't even consider a Naval Camp so far from the sea. This coming from a guy that worked in Royal Navy establishments such as Eaglescliffe and Copenacre....
I remember my shock after joining the Royal Navy from Nottingham, which I considered to be the least nautical city in the UK, to find out that there is actually an HMS Sherwood which is a reservist base in Nottingham!
Anyway, I've been interested to see Don Hoi Lot because we always used to stop off for something to eat near there on the way back from Issan but I never actually made it to the sea.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Final Summary/Thoughts

It has been another fantastic short break away from Hua Hin. 4 days away for 2 of us for an all-in cost of 7,127฿ or £158.38. OK, neither of us usually drink alcohol, so that kept prices down. Also, we couldn’t find higher class restaurants, so we ate Thai style for most of the trip, albeit, my wife’s bill in the restaurant at Don Hoi Lot was 900฿ on it’s own. The above cost includes fuel, hotel, food, travel and admission tickets. In my opinion, excellent value.

I’d been to Samut Songkran a few times previously, but only on day trips, and had never appreciated how rural the area was. This was another part of Thailand with a lot of very unique features. In particular was the amount of water and waterways. A phenomenal amount of bridges, and for the majority of time, the traffic was very light.

It was fantastic to see all of the riverside homes. So quaint alongside many riverbanks. I’d hate to have to live in one, but brilliant to see.

First impressions of the Baan Saranrom were very bad, but as time went on, it grew on us, and was quite comfortable in the end. I think the initial interrogation and the very loud Indian movie that greeted us were very off putting. I was also a bit P’d at being in an accommodation block as opposed to a bungalow, which I thought I’d booked (it was a case of smoke and mirrors on the booking page).

The weather was very kind to us for mid-August. A shower when we arrived and a bit of heavy rain on our last night. Outside of that, it was sunshine and cloud – perfect.

Favourite feature of the trip was the fireflies. I’ve never seen anything like it. Truly amazing.

Most disappointing feature of the trip was Wat Chulamanee. I just can’t abide these Buddhist money collection frenzies. Thankfully my wife agrees with me and we simply walked (drove) away. There was a time she’d have been throwing money at the cause with the best of them.

Star of the food world had to be the seafood at Don Hoi Lot – I’ve never seen my wife eat so much in one sitting.

Amphawa Floating Market – what a transformation seeing the real thing, as opposed to the tourist mayhem at weekends, when it is overrun with Bangkokians. My previous visit was one of the worst Thailand experiences I’d had. The non-tourist version is so much nicer. No hustle and bustle, just wander as you want, and enjoy it for what it really is. My 2 experiences were chalk and cheese. This version of Amphawa Floating Market was very nice.

I’ve taken friends to the Railway Market a few times previously, and had always wanted to arrive and depart on the train. It was fantastic. A lot of people saying hello. I wonder how many nationalities feature on my videos. An unbelievable experience.

The bird life in this area was like I’d never seen before. All In their natural environment. A dream for wildlife photographers, which I’m not. I just snapped a few birds that might have been storks.

English is not widely spoken in the region. I was OK because my wife is Thai, but I’d have struggled if I was not with a Thai speaker.

A lovely few days away, with a lot of new experiences, but generally life would be too quiet for me. I wouldn’t to live there full time.

I am already planning my next mini-adventure for October, which should include a cable car and a river boat trip. Until then…………………………………….

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Good to see, you enjoyed your trip. From your opinions, I have a feeling, you'd probably like the area of Suphanburi, Ayutthaya and Angthong and I don't mean only the ruins of Ayutthaya but the surrounding countryside as well.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:05 am
Interesting HHTel. I must say that I didn't even consider a Naval Camp so far from the sea. This coming from a guy that worked in Royal Navy establishments such as Eaglescliffe and Copenacre....
I remember my shock after joining the Royal Navy from Nottingham, which I considered to be the least nautical city in the UK, to find out that there is actually an HMS Sherwood which is a reservist base in Nottingham!
One of my RN drafts was to HMS Forest Moor. This was near Harrogate in North Yorkshire. A long way from the sea. I was born and bred in Hull and had never heard of it.
There were at the time, several 'stone frigates' dotted around the globe away from the sea!