Impressionist Mike Yarwood dies aged 82

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Impressionist Mike Yarwood dies aged 82

Post by sateeb »

Fond memories of his shows in the 70's.

Comedian Mike Yarwood, whose TV impressions made him a household name, has died aged 82.

Mr Yarwood was one of the biggest TV stars of the 1970s with hit BBC shows.

He was famous for his impressions of former prime ministers Harold Wilson and Ted Heath, as well as the then Prince Charles.

The Royal Variety Charity, which announced his death, said he "leaves behind an immeasurable void in the entertainment industry."

"His talent for impersonation brought smiles to the faces of millions and his unique ability to capture the essence of his subjects made him an icon in the comedy world," the charity added.

Actress and singer Kate Robbins described Mr Yarwood as "the guvnor of impressionists".

She tweeted that she was "lucky enough to work with him in the 80s".

She added: "When I was Sarah Brightman to his Cliff Richard we could hardly get anything done for laughing so much."

Impressionist Rory Bremner said he "inspired us, propelled impressionists up the bill and was the court jester of the 'golden age' of TV."

Others to pay tribute include TV personality and former newspaper editor Piers Morgan.

"Massive TV star when I was growing up, and such a gifted comedian and impressionist," he wrote on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter.

"RIP Mike, and thanks for all the laughs."

Mr Yarwood was most well known for his impersonations, particularly of prominent political figures.

He created catchphrases which became identified with famous figures, even though they had never actually used them - including "silly Billy" for former Chancellor Denis Healey and "I mean that most sincerely, folks" for TV presenter Hughie Green.

The Mike Yarwood Show in 1977 holds the record for the largest single Christmas Day audience of 21.4m viewers, according to the Royal Variety Charity.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Impressionist Mike Yarwood dies aged 82

Post by Dannie Boy »

I remember him well and enjoyed his impersonations, although he’s been out of the limelight for many years now. RIP