Songkran to become 1 month festival

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
buksida

Re: Songkran to become 1 month festival

Post by buksida »

PM scotches '21 days of water fights' rumours
The Tourism and Sports Ministry has been instructed by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to clear up public misunderstanding over the duration of this year's Songkran festival.

Mr Srettha said on Monday that Tourism and Sports Minister Sudawan Wangsuphakijkosol would explain the extended Songkran celebration period, which, according to the government, spans 21 days.

Some foreign visitors mistook this to mean that water fights would be taking place every day across the country for 21 days starting from April 1.

Last week, government spokesman Chai Watcharonke said that although the Maha Songkran World Water Festival lasts from April 1 to 21 across the country, activities are not held simultaneously in every province.

He said the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has a calendar outlining 21 days of nationwide celebrations from April 1 to 21.

Only the main celebrations are held from April 13 to 15 in almost every province.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ts-rumours
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The exodus has begun. That photo was last night and it was only the 9th! I think that with the 8th and 12th being a holiday, those that could have taken the entire week off, with of course most of next week being a holiday. If people played their vacation time right they could have 2 straight weeks off for the price of 1.

phpFo9aMBPM.jpg
phpFo9aMBPM.jpg (108.64 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, my granddaughter's boyfriend is now on 24/7 hour duty for the deadly 7.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

All I've seen on various webpages, forums, sites, & Thai news reports is..
This year's Songkran Festival will bring in multi-billions of tourist revenue (OK, slight pi**take of the figure).
This year's Water Festival will hold World Heritage status..(wtf..?)
This year's Songkran festival will run from the 1st till the 21st of April..(Yes the Chinese read that bit too)
This year's Songkran festival will not affect the current drought situations & water-saving measures in place in many provinces..(Really?)
AoT will see record numbers of passengers using their airports (No mention if that is tourists coming IN, or Thais/Tourists going OUT..?}

....& so on, & so on..Blah,blah,blah..The TaT must have had their staff doing overtime to generate so much crap!

I DID read that the water fighting (Sorry TaT..err, I mean 'splashing') started in Pattaya yesterday!..On the 9th..!!
The whole thing is just so messy..So when do businesses re-open,? when does the water stop..? Does the 11th, 12th,13th, (possibly 14th) go on till the 21st?
It seems a farce when the P.M. has to be seen to step in and try clarrify things after various others have made a right cock of it all..! :banghead:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen several announcements on FB claiming Hua Hin starts tomorrow :? Wishful thinking by a few, I hope.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Water starts today the 11th to the 13th on soi 80
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I DID read that the water fighting (Sorry TaT..err, I mean 'splashing') started in Pattaya yesterday!
Regarding Pattaya, Songkran always lasts for 10 days and has for years. I believe they also call it the Pattaya Festival.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The mayor has actually admitted that the water stoppages are in order to redirect water supply for 'Songkran' festivities!
Hua Hin’s water management authorities have said there will be a temporary suspension of the water supply from the Khao Laeng Water Production Plant.

The suspension, aimed at reallocating water resources to meet the festival’s heightened demand, will affect significant portions of the city from 09:30 to 15:30.

This will result in weak water flow or no water supply to large parts of Hua Hin between the hours of 09:30 to 15:30.
https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-new ... -festival/
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s good to see that they’ve got their priorities right!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:The mayor has actually admitted that the water stoppages are in order to redirect water supply for 'Songkran' festivities!
Hua Hin’s water management authorities have said there will be a temporary suspension of the water supply from the Khao Laeng Water Production Plant.

The suspension, aimed at reallocating water resources to meet the festival’s heightened demand, will affect significant portions of the city from 09:30 to 15:30.

This will result in weak water flow or no water supply to large parts of Hua Hin between the hours of 09:30 to 15:30.
https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-new ... -festival/
For 10th April. Didn't really notice.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bangkok this morning:

"Bangkok, a deserted city with "empty cars and sparse people," first day of Songkran holiday.
PPTV photographers travel around capturing images of traffic in Bangkok. In the areas of Rama 1, Rama 4, Ratchaprasong and Victory Monument roads from 7:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m., it was found that the roads were empty, there were few cars, and few people due to the long holiday of Songkran Festival.
Expected this afternoon There will be people coming out to travel. To celebrate Songkran Day At various department stores Resulting in traffic congestion as usual (on April 12, 2024)"

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... bUAnGXDCu7

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I have to say I have never seen the celebration start this early before here in HH. Normally a bit of water splashing the night before the big day by some kids and of course in Sou 80 and Bintabaht, but this year full on action all over Soi 94 by mid day early afternoon!

I also know about two accidents, one close to Binta Burger and one near Cheers/ Ga Hanoi.

Well time to get ready for tomorrow/today. My water blaster is charged and ready

YNWA

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, no matter how wet or not wet everyone gets over the next few days, have a happy time! :thumb: :cheers:
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Have a good one
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Is the water over now?