FA Cup & Prediction League 2024

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: FA Cup & Prediction League 2024

Post by pharvey »

There's been the obvious stories with Giant Killing and Maidstone, but fair play to them - I guess there's BB and his version of the FA Cup stuffing things up for his club :wink: :duck: But I'm guessing the vast majority of Maidstone fans are loving life at the moment - money to the club, national attention and it's working wonders for local businesses by all accounts! Hell, they'll get the odd quid for being on TV tonight.

I've probably given them the kiss of death now, so apologies there! But would be nice to see the romance of the FA Cup continue... And hell, at 16/1 odds Maidstone is worth a £1 bet!! :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:31 am There's been the obvious stories with Giant Killing and Maidstone, but fair play to them - I guess there's BB and his version of the FA Cup stuffing things up for his club :wink: :duck: But I'm guessing the vast majority of Maidstone fans are loving life at the moment - money to the club, national attention and it's working wonders for local businesses by all accounts! Hell, they'll get the odd quid for being on TV tonight.

I've probably given them the kiss of death now, so apologies there! But would be nice to see the romance of the FA Cup continue... And hell, at 16/1 odds Maidstone is worth a £1 bet!! :D

Well if you did, you’ll be a £1 worse off - but I’m sure you’ll survive!! After their previous heroics, Maidstone were given a bit of a pasting by Coventry losing 5-0, still they’ve bagged a few hundred grand along the way so good luck to them!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:19 am Well if you did, you’ll be a £1 worse off - but I’m sure you’ll survive!! After their previous heroics, Maidstone were given a bit of a pasting by Coventry losing 5-0, still they’ve bagged a few hundred grand along the way so good luck to them!!
A quid down it is.. :( As you say though, they've added a few to their own account and given their fans something to smile about along the way.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:31 am I guess there's BB and his version of the FA Cup stuffing things up for his club :wink: :duck:
Of course there is a huge difference - Maidstone are a reasonably well positioned team in National League South. Little money, and their ambition will be reaching the National League. The money they will have made from this competition will mean an awful lot to them. If used wisely, it could turn their fortunes/ambitions right around next season.

If you are trying to compare with a club like Plymouth Argyle, there is a whole world of difference. After being dumped by the Japanese sugar daddy, and Everton's mis-management sent them into administration, they have been gradually pulling themselves out of the mire, and have just pulled themselves back into the 2nd tier of English football after a massive battle over quite a few years. The only similarity is that neither team was going to win the FA Cup this year.

Plymouth have worked wonders in recent years, not by having a sugar daddy finance things, but through sheer hard work and very good management. The have bought and re-vamped their stadium. They have created a massive footprint in the local community, most home games are sold out, and most away games sees the away supporter allocation sold out. This is massive for a club that couldn't field a team of adults a few years back when we played at Oxford United, and when a player threw his shirt into the crowd at Bristol Rovers, club officials had to beg for the shirt back, else they wouldn't have had enough shirts for the next game.

Plymouth don't actually need a cup windfall these days - needing that extra cash is a thing of the past. Yes, it would be a bit of a bonus, but wouldn't change the club's fortunes in the same way as cash could change Maidstone's. They have clawed their way into tier 2, and this is a consolidation season. A few extra quid from a cup competition would not make up what they would lose from cup distraction resulting in relegation to the 3rd tier.

Of course, it would be great if an Arab nation could finance success, or they could sell 40% of the club in the way some tier 1 clubs do, but if I'm honest - that is just free money, and I'm much happier watching hard graft and good management. There is a lot more satisfaction doing it the Plymouth way.

There's proper football and Premiership prima donnas.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh come now BB, only said in jest.... Even I realise that there is a considerable difference in the positions of Plymouth Argyle and Maidstone - and yes, I understand the points you've made above and previously raised regarding PA's priorities other than the likes of the FA Cup.

As most know, I'm not a huge follower of the sport but have to say I do enjoy some of the various Cup competitions where at least teams are going for a win rather than just a draw (Chelsea aside of course :D :wink: ). There is of course the romance of the "David vs Goliath" bit....

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

No doubt who was taking all the glory from last nights games, as Haaland scores 5 of City’s 6 goals against Luton - elsewhere Newcastle came out top of a nervy penalty shootout against Blackburn, and Leicester winning by the odd goal against Bournemouth (AET).

It’ll be interesting to see how Liverpool get on tonight and what sort of team they put out, with all of their injuries.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:52 amIt’ll be interesting to see how Liverpool get on tonight and what sort of team they put out, with all of their injuries.
There isn't a team this season that hasn't suffered with an overload of injuries. At the core of it is how many significant players have been out for a long time. Liverpool are having to deal with no more or less a problem than any other team. They could have 3 back tonight.

https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

FA Cup & Prediction League 2024

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well that table shows that Liverpool are joint top with Man Utd, so they have had more injuries than most teams - some like Wolves have had only one!!

Edit.
I’ve just looked at that chart again and assume the players out are those as of today, which still means that currently Liverpool have more players injured (same as Msn U) than any other team.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Whenever Chelsea play Leeds, all the media love to highlight the 1970 cup final replay between the two teams. It does rather emphasise the amount of play acting that goes on today. The only serious ingury was Jones atttack on Bonetti, which left him limping for the rest of the game and directly to Leeds opening goal. Still all was well in the end, we won our first FA cup after being beaten semi-finalists in the two previous seasons and losing to the spuds in the 67 cup final.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/68418810
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Liverpool came through a fairly testing game against Southampton - the 3-0 scoreline being quite flattering, mainly down to Southampton missing good chances and some good saves by the goalie. Elsewhere Man Utd overcame Forrest 1-0 and Chelsea won by the odd goal in a 3-2 win over Leeds.

Two standout games in the quarter finals - Man Utd v Liverpool and Man City v Newcastle.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:03 am Liverpool came through a fairly testing game against Southampton - the 3-0 scoreline being quite flattering, mainly down to Southampton missing good chances and some good saves by the goalie. Elsewhere Man Utd overcame Forrest 1-0 and Chelsea won by the odd goal in a 3-2 win over Leeds.

Two standout games in the quarter finals - Man Utd v Liverpool and Man City v Newcastle.
Certainly 3-0 flattered Liverpool, but then again a very young side - an 18 year old scores 2, a 16 year old on for the last 20 odd minutes etc. From what I saw Southampton should have had a couple in the first half and could well have been ahead, but Liverpool controlled the 2nd half.

You would have thought on current form Man City will stuff Newcastle.

Christ, I almost sound like I watch the sport!! :duck:

[EDIT] Then again, I certainly don't really know it!! :D

BigBoy is knocked off top spot after the latest Round, with JJBones taking top spot and the Yellow Cap :thumb: caller has the dubious honour of the Wooden Spoon.....
HHF-FAC.JPG
HHF-FAC.JPG (43.42 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Until the Quarter Finals then :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ You do! :shock: You're a closet wendy. :laugh: :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:29 pm ^ You do! :shock: You're a closet wendy. :laugh: :cheers:
Shhhhh.... :oops:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

What a game! First time I've been happy for a united goal, it was a decent watch, wanted more and extra time. But that end to the match... cracking entertainment!
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Best game I've watched all season. Brilliant.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.