2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: 2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by PeteC »

Race starting in 10 minutes. TRUE channel 607.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Imho F1 has become boring. Not enough fight for winning. The last year's only Hamilton and Verstappen. I know F1 needs to be the top end wrgds to development and finding new cutting edge technologies, but racing where everyone has the same equipment is SO much more competitive and entertaining!

YNWA

YNWA
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

huahin4ever wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:27 pm Imho F1 has become boring. Not enough fight for winning. The last year's only Hamilton and Verstappen. I know F1 needs to be the top end wrgds to development and finding new cutting edge technologies, but racing where everyone has the same equipment is SO much more competitive and entertaining!

YNWA
:agree: with you 100%
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

joelle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:31 pm
huahin4ever wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:27 pm Imho F1 has become boring. Not enough fight for winning. The last year's only Hamilton and Verstappen. I know F1 needs to be the top end wrgds to development and finding new cutting edge technologies, but racing where everyone has the same equipment is SO much more competitive and entertaining!

YNWA
Well sorry, but.....

"The last year's only Hamilton and Verstappen..." Have you lost a couple of years there? Mercedes haven't been close - LH less so!! I understand what you are "trying" to say - And of course, Red BS and Crashappen are boring/arrogant/obnoxious etc :wink: ... But hat's off (at least to the engineers and designers) the car is a Rocket Ship.

However, F1 is not simply about them. Do either of you truly follow the sport? Or are you only looking at who comes in "First Place". Some great battles today - tyre selection/strategy didn't work for some, but certainly did for Leclerc - did you even notice? Russell vs Piastri, Alonso holding things up to benefit himself and Aston with some class driving, Norris losing a place simply down to a 0.2 second difference in a Pit Stop... Cracking race from Tsunoda also getting into the points in his "Home GP" :thumb:

"Not enough fight for winning...." Did you see how pi$$ed off Norris was at the end of the race? Or for that matter, Piastri for losing a place to Russell on the final lap? I guess not, as you were likely watching the trophy handout or the latest news on Homer and the Ex-Spice Girl. :roll:

Anywho, for those interested: -
F1-JAP-RES1.png
(188.19 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
F1-JAP-RES2.png
(164.2 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
As for the HHF/Superbru Prediction League: -

BigBoy gives up his lead to parahandy who storms into the lead - with vitalspark bringing up the rear, discussions could be interesting at home!!
HHF-F1-R4.png
HHF-F1-R4.png (111.61 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Next up is the Chinese GP over the weekend of 19-21.04.2024 - NOTE: This weekend also has a Sprint Race!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

pharvey wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:27 pm
joelle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:31 pm

YNWA
Well sorry, but.....

"The last year's only Hamilton and Verstappen..." Have you lost a couple of years there? Mercedes haven't been close - LH less so!! I understand what you are "trying" to say - And of course, Red BS and Crashappen are boring/arrogant/obnoxious etc :wink: ... But hat's off (at least to the engineers and designers) the car is a Rocket Ship.

However, F1 is not simply about them. Do either of you truly follow the sport? Or are you only looking at who comes in "First Place". Some great battles today - tyre selection/strategy didn't work for some, but certainly did for Leclerc - did you even notice? Russell vs Piastri, Alonso holding things up to benefit himself and Aston with some class driving, Norris losing a place simply down to a 0.2 second difference in a Pit Stop... Cracking race from Tsunoda also getting into the points in his "Home GP" :thumb:

"Not enough fight for winning...." Did you see how pi$$ed off Norris was at the end of the race? Or for that matter, Piastri for losing a place to Russell on the final lap? I guess not, as you were likely watching the trophy handout or the latest news on Homer and the Ex-Spice Girl. :roll:

Anywho, for those interested: -
F1-JAP-RES1.png
F1-JAP-RES2.png
As for the HHF/Superbru Prediction League: -

BigBoy gives up his lead to parahandy who storms into the lead - with vitalspark bringing up the rear, discussions could be interesting at home!!
HHF-F1-R4.png
Next up is the Chinese GP over the weekend of 19-21.04.2024 - NOTE: This weekend also has a Sprint Race!!
Wo ho calm down, each to their own opinion, and there's certainly no need for judgement or assumption from you !
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpe5XhRtPM.jpg
phpe5XhRtPM.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 281 times

What are the changes to the F1 sprint format?

The first of six sprint weekends this season takes place in China, but the format is slightly different to last year's events.

Qualifying for the shorter sprint race will now be held on Friday instead of Saturday, following the only practice session of the weekend.

The 100km sprint will then take place as the first track action on Saturday, ahead of main qualifying for the grand prix in its regular slot later in the day.

Sunday's race also remains unchanged.

The other five sprints weekend take place in Miami, Austria, Austin, Brazil and Qatar.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

joelle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:02 pm Wo ho calm down, each to their own opinion, and there's certainly no need for judgement or assumption from you !
My apologies - no judgment, but I have to stick by some assumptions :wink: Seriously though, us Welsh can get a tad stroppy when things don't go our way - sporting results followed closely by overnight stays with my dear friends at the Royal Gwent are not helping (not least that I'm not allowed an alcoholic beverage after they've performed unspeakable acts with a camera and a cable :roll: ).
Overall results of the F1 races may be boring these days, but the ins and outs of things especially on Race Day can be far from it. The technology and engineering behind the setups, strategy, decision making etc. are quite something.

^ As to the "Sprint", We'll have to see PeteC, but I'm getting the feeling that the "Sprint" is going to be a bit of a non-event. It's very clear that teams have not closed the gap (at least enough) on Red BS or the "Rocket Ship" that is the RB20. Neither do I believe that teams truly want to race in this add-on for fear of any damage/penalties for the ensuing Main Race....

:cheers: :cheers:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

pharvey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:07 pm
joelle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:02 pm Wo ho calm down, each to their own opinion, and there's certainly no need for judgement or assumption from you !
My apologies - no judgment, but I have to stick by some assumptions :wink: Seriously though, us Welsh can get a tad stroppy when things don't go our way - sporting results followed closely by overnight stays with my dear friends at the Royal Gwent are not helping (not least that I'm not allowed an alcoholic beverage after they've performed unspeakable acts with a camera and a cable :roll: ).
Overall results of the F1 races may be boring these days, but the ins and outs of things especially on Race Day can be far from it. The technology and engineering behind the setups, strategy, decision making etc. are quite something.

^ As to the "Sprint", We'll have to see PeteC, but I'm getting the feeling that the "Sprint" is going to be a bit of a non-event. It's very clear that teams have not closed the gap (at least enough) on Red BS or the "Rocket Ship" that is the RB20. Neither do I believe that teams truly want to race in this add-on for fear of any damage/penalties for the ensuing Main Race....

This I agree, but still find the races boring now, specially with, as you call him, Crastapen, although the Mercedes is a great performing car. Also as being busy in the UK didn't get the chance to watch Sunday's race.
Have a pleasant day ☺️
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:07 pm overnight stays with my dear friends at the Royal Gwent
LOL, I read that and thought, "I didn't know pharvey was a golfer." :oops: :oops: :oops:
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:23 pm
pharvey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:07 pm overnight stays with my dear friends at the Royal Gwent
LOL, I read that and thought, "I didn't know pharvey was a golfer." :oops: :oops: :oops:
And if you mention "dropped" or "lost balls" or for that matter "in the rough"..... :banghead: Hold that thought, brekkie is arriving (just checking for hidden cameras).... :(
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

"BigBoy gives up his lead to parahandy who storms into the lead - with vitalspark bringing up the rear, discussions could be interesting at home!!"

Discussions are certainly interesting in the 'casa'. It's normally Mr.P who reminds me to make my picks, so I ask him (font of all knowledge about F1) for some advice as to who I should pick for pole, etc. I think he's giving me duff gen...
OK, I'll take some of the blame as I tend to pick the best looking drivers - Le Clerc certainly is on the podium there. And I have a terrible soft spot for Ricardo - who can resist that smile? I have affection for Alonso as I think he's a nice bloke (but Mr.P tells me he's not that nice). What's a girl to do?? Maybe I should change tactics and pick the prettiest car. It's got to be the Sauber, but it's not quick enough. Decisions, decisions.

Sorry for the quietness recently from here in Spain. We've settled into a lovely routine of no work, Spanish lessons, coffee/beer chats at local cafes and bits of travel in between. How I ever found time for work is a mystery to me. Life here suits us perfectly, and we were lucky to be able to get all our paperwork done before the 'dreaded Brexit deal'. We can stay here for as long as we like, and it's a short 2.5 hour flight to the UK from Jerez airport (just up the road) to visit friends and family. Wine is silly cheap too - which is an added bonus!

Hope that all of you in the Land of Smiles are enjoying what life gives you. xx
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Vital Spark wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:04 am Sorry for the quietness recently from here in Spain. We've settled into a lovely routine of no work, Spanish lessons, coffee/beer chats at local cafes and bits of travel in between.
Wonderful to hear from you VS - very much missed!! :thumb: Can't comment on the "handsomeness" of F1 drivers, but happy Crashappen wasn't mentioned! :wink:

My dear LHG is heading to Barcelona for a long weekend shortly and I'm jealous beyond belief (can't make it myself this time). Truly happy that you are both enjoying things out there - issues with "Brexit" were never in the equation for us as the LHG holds a Chinese passport (though nowadays has Permanent Residency for the UK)....

Have to agree with Mr P on a few points getting back to F1..

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What F1 needs IMO is a once a year show highlighting how a race is really run. Start upon arrival at the venue and all of the prep work done by a team and driver, then the practices, qualifying and the race. "A day in the Life" sort of show with maximum and detailed explanation (live audio/video) of everything including adjustments and repairs. One hour show, change teams every year etc. I think that would go a long way in making layman viewers more educated and aware of how the sport really works.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

YNWA!

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting what he says about..."jumping ship to Ferrari..." I've just done that as well. The Arabs getting their claws into McLaren was the straw for me. At least Ferrari remains independent and are more exciting than the rest at the moment.