Christmas Yule Log

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Christmas Yule Log

Post by Big Boy »

A bit of a long shot this, but my son has just requested we have a Christmas Yule Log this year. I saw them being advertised a few weeks ago, but I had zero interest, and it went straight over my head.

Does anybody know where I can buy or order a Christmas Yule Log please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Christmas Yule Log

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:39 pm A bit of a long shot this, but my son has just requested we have a Christmas Yule Log this year. I saw them being advertised a few weeks ago, but I had zero interest, and it went straight over my head.

Does anybody know where I can buy or order a Christmas Yule Log please?
I believe you can have one made by PARIS BAKERY BISTRO Soi 102 Hua hin
Opening time : 07:00 - 15:00. Close Thursday.
Phone : 063 267 3003
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you. That is is where I thought I'd seen the advert, but couldn't find the advert. I will pass the info on to my son - he can do the footwork.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The Paris Bakery is the way to go. My daughter used to work for them and now she works for his brother's coffee shop and restaurant. However she's still well known in the 102 shop. We've had several very fancy birthday cakes made there.
The owner is a trained baker so knows what he's doing. I suggest you call in there and describe exactly what you want and he'll make it. You won't be disappointed.
You could mention my daughter, Tania, who he knows very well.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I thought a yule log was burnt in the fireplace? If it's bad enough I guess both would happen.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

migrant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:36 pm I thought a yule log was burnt in the fireplace? If it's bad enough I guess both would happen.
This is not Charles Dickens anymore, yule logs are made out if chocolate!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 am
migrant wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:36 pm I thought a yule log was burnt in the fireplace? If it's bad enough I guess both would happen.
Or at least covered in chocolate :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The good news is my son managed to order one from Paris Bakery yesterday morning.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:45 am
The tradition goes back much further than Dickens. It is believed to be a Pagan belief, and a log was burnt to provide light at the winter soltice in case the sun never came back. There are many theories and old beliefs surrounding it, but the modern chocolate version sounds to be the best! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Picked it up this morning, and being Thailand, confusion reigns, of course. We ordered the big (six persons) log, but they had a 4 person log for us. No problem though because I'm sure the 4 person log would easily feed 10. It looks good and I'm looking forward to it.

Will definitely use them next year.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was delicious - probably the nicest Yule Log I've ever had. How lucky were we that they got the order wrong, and we only had the 4 portion cake :shock: ?

cake.jpg
(172.17 KiB) Downloaded 3509 times

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:59 am It was delicious - probably the nicest Yule Log I've ever had. How lucky were we that they got the order wrong, and we only had the 4 portion cake :shock: ?
Not quite what I was expecting it to look like, but glad it was a success!! :thumb:

Just one question though..... What's with the red "Fireman's Axe"? - just in case the candles went pear-shaped? :D :wink: :duck:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did wonder about the axes as well. A strange Christmas Cake decoration, but TIT.

The cake just oozed with chocolate - perfect for a diabetic :oops:. Actually, my blood sugar level was up slightly this morning, but only 8.3, which many diabetics would consider brilliant, so no real harm done yesterday.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm sure it was delicious. A bit surprised that it didn't look like a log considering the 'Christmas Yule Log' originated in France so I'd have expected a French baker to produce a 'log'.

My daughter showed me this vid of Paul Hollywood making a log which was quite entertaining and the end result was quite amazing.

For some reason the link didn't work. So here is the link without the youtube brackets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYEptGelYk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:27 am I'm sure it was delicious. A bit surprised that it didn't look like a log considering the 'Christmas Yule Log' originated in France so I'd have expected a French baker to produce a 'log'.

My daughter showed me this vid of Paul Hollywood making a log which was quite entertaining and the end result was quite amazing.

For some reason the link didn't work. So here is the link without the youtube brackets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYEptGelYk
What makes you think it originated in France? Germany maybe, but long before there was France.
pharvey wrote:Just one question though..... What's with the red "Fireman's Axe"? - just in case the candles went pear-shaped?
How can you cut a log without an axe? :cheers:
I posted back a bit about how it came to be.

https://www.sttammanylibrary.org/blogs/ ... %20to%20us.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!