Govt to cut alcohol taxes and tariffs

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Govt to cut alcohol taxes and tariffs

Post by STEVE G »

Perhaps this government is a bit less killjoy than the last:

Thailand's cabinet has approved a tax cut on alcoholic beverages and entertainment venues to boost tourism, a government spokesperson said on Tuesday (Jan 2).

Taxes on wine will be reduced from 10 per cent to 5 per cent and on spirits from 10 per cent to zero, Chai Wacharonke told reporters, adding that excise tax on entertainment venues will be halved from 10 per cent to 5 per cent.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... sm-4020711
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand News Summary

Post by HHTel »

And you think the punters will get the benefit?
I don't think so ..... TIT.

It's a windfall for the bars, restaurants and clubs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As far as I can see, this government is heading for a massive car crash. Give away this, give away that, reduce revenue schemes, maintain numerous subsidies. Where is the money to finance all of this coming from. I thought the country was meant to be broke.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Tax revenue losses would be offset by additional tourist receipts, Finance Ministry Permanent Secretary Lavaron Sangsnit said in a separate briefing.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:
Tax revenue losses would be offset by additional tourist receipts, Finance Ministry Permanent Secretary Lavaron Sangsnit said in a separate briefing.
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tourist numbers are way down, and Malays (who mostly don't drink) make up the top arrivals now (mostly weekend border runners) ... so can't really see billions of baht flowing in through that avenue (though cheaper wine would be nice).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but there are contradictory reports also published yesterday calling it bollox. I guess its a case of believing which ever version you want to believe, but this Gov't IMHO are spending cash they don't have. Even this is a gamble on more tourists coming and spending cash.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I havent seen anything about such cuts n the English languauge media here. It's such a big change, I would have expected such media to cover it.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I read about it yesterday - not sure what the publication was. I'll try to find it.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hmm ... "The Thai government has announced a tax reduction on local alcohol" ... "reducing domestic alcohol tax to 0%,"

If I read that right, it only applies to locally produced stuff (OTOP rice wine, fruit punch, alco-pops, etc) so anything imported (decent beer, wines, and spirits) will remain ridiculously expensive as the tax on the good stuff is triple figures.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Of course, and any reference to enticing tourists is a complete con. They will assume 'local' means Chang, Leo or Singha. Most won't even realise there is OTOP rice wine, fruit punch, etc.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Surely local alcohol would include Samsong and the like, plus Chang, Leo and Singha.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

According to the Bangkok Post, the import tax on imported wine is also gone for one year:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2716918
buksida

Post by buksida »

The tax on imported wine is WAY more than 10% ... its their way of saying they're only cutting it by 5% which won't even be noticeable. Besides, the local stuff has been hiked at least once a year for as long as I can remember.

Edit: "In Thailand there is a 60% tariff on imported wines," https://mahanakornpartners.com/wine-imp ... -thailand/
Basically the 10% is just VAT, on top of the 60% import tariff which is why wine is ridiculously expensive here.