A trip to Yunnan, China.

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Bamboo Grove

Re: A trip to Yunnan, China.

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lijiang day 1

In the morning after finally learning my lessons, I took a taxi to the bus station, had some breakfast near the station and waited for my bus. Taking the bus proved to be a good choice as I arrived in Lijiang about three hours before my train would have left Dali.

Took a taxi to the hotel, checked in and went for a walk. Lijiang’s old town was even better than Dali’s, again very commercial but that didn’t bother me. Luckily nowadays the smart phones have map apps, it would have been very easy to get lost there with all the narrow, winding streets. It was enjoyable to walk around. After a few hours walk, I ate some dumplings and went back to the hotel. In the evening I went for another walk to see what the place looked like in the evening and it was just as charming, if not even more so.
Lijiang ancient town 1.jpg
Lijiang ancient town 1.jpg (143.45 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang ancient town 2.jpg
Lijiang ancient town 2.jpg (185.18 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang day 1 1.jpg
Lijiang day 1 1.jpg (126.64 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang 2.jpg
Lijiang 2.jpg (140.06 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang had been an important place in the ancient tea route and there were many statues reminding about this.
Ancient tea route.jpg
Ancient tea route.jpg (182.83 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
The only problem were the roads, they were tough to walk and very uneven so you had to keep on watching your steps.
Lijiang ancient town 5.jpg
Lijiang ancient town 5.jpg (164.1 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang ancient town 3.jpg
Lijiang ancient town 3.jpg (131.17 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Lijiang streets.jpg
Lijiang streets.jpg (229.63 KiB) Viewed 32014 times
Just outside the Ancient Town there was also a statue that is not so common any more.
Mao.jpg
(90.23 KiB) Downloaded 30363 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Lijiang day 1
Incredible history there! Might expect to see Marco Polo step around the next corner!
Wikipedia has a very well documented article worth looking at.

I do not see any power cables draped around like is found in Thailand. Do those old buildings have electric power?
What about the language? The original people evidently have their own unique dialect, so is Mandarin spoken there?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The Naxi people have their own language but Mandarin was common everywhere. I thought the Yunnanese people spoke very clear Mandarin, to me, along with Taiwanese this is the easiest to understand. Of course both Dali and Lijiang had people who had moved from elsewhere to open up business in these places and they spoke their own accents. They had electricity but I don't know where the power lines were, not that I was particularly looking for them.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This place looks very photogenic, I don't see many people there though, in Japan or Korea it would be rammed with selfie-snapping tourists ... or are you doing what I do and taking photos without the crowds in them!?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Some streets were very crowded but I try to avoid taking photos there and then. I try to find more peaceful spots. Sometimes, though, if you want to emphasize the crowds, it's a different thing. I have to admit though, that the area is quite well spread-out so it didn't feel too crowded. Plus it wasn't the holiday season for Chinese.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I visited Lijiang several years ago. Thoroughly recommend it for a visit.
Do not, however, make the mistake I did of travelling there during the spring festival!!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Any travel in China during their big holidays is best to be avoided. This Chinese New Year I have a week off and I'm planning to stay in Macau. Maybe just a couple of short visits across the border to Zhuhai and/or Shenzhen after the first three days of the festival are over.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lijiang day 2

On the second day in Lijiang I had a plan to go to Black Dragon Pool Park, I had read the scenery would be great with the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain at the background. I had decided to find a bus that would go there and this time I was lucky as I found the bus stop fairly easily and not far from my hotel. This was the highlight of my trip. Such a beautiful scenery I've only seen once in my travels in China.

I arrived at the park and noticed that there was no entrance fee, maybe because of the low season. Anyway, the only entrance fee I paid during my trip was to the Cangshan- mountain in Dali and even there I got a discount price being over 60-years old. No talk about any double or triple pricing China had in the 80’s. Then it was; Mainland Chinese paid the lowest price, oversees Chinese a bit higher and ”Foreign Guests” the highest. After a short walk, I came to the place which was very photogenic. You could see a Chinese pavilion and the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain behind. It was truly wonderful.
Black Dragon Park 1.jpg
(274.94 KiB) Downloaded 30149 times
Temple at Black Dragon Park 1.jpg
Temple at Black Dragon Park 1.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Temple at Black Dragon Park 2.jpg
Temple at Black Dragon Park 2.jpg (190.4 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 1.jpg
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 1.jpg (94.05 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 2.jpg
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 2.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 31800 times

Jade Dragon Snow mountain 5.jpg
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 5.jpg (129.07 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 7.jpg
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 7.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 4.jpg
Jade Dragon Snow mountain 4.jpg (116.48 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
There was also a small museum at the temple and they had some Chinese calligraphy and Chinese paintings there. I like to latter a lot and I'm always happy to have a look at them.
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 1.jpg
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 1.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 2.jpg
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 2.jpg (106.18 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 3.jpg
Paintings in Black Dragon Park 3.jpg (132.37 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
I walked around the park and every time I could see the mountain, I just had to sit down and take a few more photos. The highest peak seen in the photos is at 5,596 meters above the sea level. The only other place I have seen such a wonderful scenery was back in 1988 at the Tianchi lake in Xinjiang’s Tian Shan mountains. Sorry about the dirty photo of the Tianchi in Tianshan mountains. It's from summer of 1988 and has been travelling a lot before a made it into a digital form. Probably my daughters played with it when they were small (that's right, blame the kids :mrgreen: :oops: )
Tianchi 1.jpg
Tianchi 1.jpg (64.83 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
After some hours in the park I walked back to my hotel through the Ancient Town and after a rest returned to the town for supper.
Lijiang ancient town 4.jpg
Lijiang ancient town 4.jpg (185.46 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Lijiang evening 5.jpg
Lijiang evening 5.jpg (175.3 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:51 pmOn the second day in Lijiang I had a plan to go to Black Dragon Pool Park, I had read the scenery would be great with the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain at the background. I had decided to find a bus that would go there and this time I was lucky as I found the bus stop fairly easily and not far from my hotel. This was the highlight of my trip. Such a beautiful scenery I've only seen once in my travels in China.
I did the bus/cable-car tour up the Jade Snow mountain. The highest you can go on the tourist trail is 4680m!! I had never been at that kind of altitude before and was quite an experience once your body become acclimatised. You had to stop and rest after every level of steps or you'd pass-out.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Ginjaninja wrote:
I did the bus/cable-car tour up the Jade Snow mountain. The highest you can go on the tourist trail is 4680m!! I had never been at that kind of altitude before and was quite an experience once your body become acclimatised. You had to stop and rest after every level of steps or you'd pass-out.
I considered that, particularly as I couldn't go to the Tiger Leaping gorge on my last day in Lijiang but as it was late December, I didn't want to freeze.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lijiang day 3

I had booked a ticket to a trip to Tiger Leaping Gorge some two hours away by bus but in the evening before, the hotel informed me that it was cancelled because there had been a landslide in the area and the roads were closed. So I just had a lazy day with some leisurely walks in the old town during the day and the evening and the rest of the time I spent in my hotel room. Lijiang is mostly likely the most picturesque place I have visited in China. Full moon time was a bonus to compensate for the disappointment of not seeing the gorge.
Lijiang puvut.jpg
Lijiang puvut.jpg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lapsi kansallispuvussa.jpg
Lapsi kansallispuvussa.jpg (161.14 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang at night 1.jpg
Lijiang at night 1.jpg (166.54 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang at night 2.jpg
Lijiang at night 2.jpg (156.58 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
One photo with lots of people, this was a square, which had many restaurants with singers.
Lijiang at night 3.jpg
Lijiang at night 3.jpg (117.52 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang at night 4.jpg
Lijiang at night 4.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang ilta 1.jpg
Lijiang ilta 1.jpg (96.33 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang ilta 2.jpg
Lijiang ilta 2.jpg (113.87 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang ilta 3.jpg
Lijiang ilta 3.jpg (114.04 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Lijiang ilta.jpg
Lijiang ilta.jpg (120.03 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
Stinky Tofu.jpg
Stinky Tofu.jpg (116.46 KiB) Viewed 31494 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

Reminds me a little of Hoi An in Vietnam. Shame tourist visas for China are such a ballache.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

There are some similarities to Hoi An but Lijiang's Ancient City is much bigger. If I remember correctly Hoi An has quite limited space for the old buildings? Mainly near the bridge.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, its a very compact place, at least it was when I was last there ten years ago.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Shame tourist visas for China are such a ballache.
With the Macau Blue Card, it's fairly easy. A colleague of mine just went to apply for it yesterday. A lots of paper, yes but he will get it in four days, as I did, too.