Bolt ride hailing app

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Bolt ride hailing app

Post by Big Boy »

I used my Granddaughter's phone (not on my phone yet), else I would.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:04 am I used my Granddaughter's phone (not on my phone yet), else I would.
I’m sure she’d lend it to you if you asked nicely :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thats what I was going to suggest, there must be a feedback option to report bad or dangerous drivers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Thats what I was going to suggest, there must be a feedback option to report bad or dangerous drivers.
I've used bolt for cars and bikes on an almost daily basis for 2 years and very rarely have an issue. I have had hundreds

Some cars are older but generally no difference to Grab cars

I get asked for feedback from Bolt by default after every ride so can comment then

I agree with 20% discount for bolt but it will vary. Bolt drivers don't pay anything like as much commission so can offer cheaper prices

I use bolt by default, if I can't get one I'll use grab

Both are difficult to get in certain locations eg Banyan GC back to HH

To say one wouldn't use bolt again after ONE bad experience, but would use grab, is nonsense.... but clearly up to the customer.

That's like saying all the drivers are employed by one or the other which is just wrong. Or that all grab cars are nice but bolt aren't. They're not a taxi firm run by one bloke with a fleet of cars. They're freelancers with a variety of vehicles and a variety driving standards using a variety of apps.

It's pot luck(but mostly just fine). You could order a grab next week and get the same(bolt) driver you had for Shiva!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

buksida

Post by buksida »

Totally agree with you, have only had good experiences with it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just to balance the argument up, I can understand BB being somewhat cautious if after just one journey it was a bad experience, 1 out of 1 isn’t very good odds, although the next 10 might be perfect!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I will not disagree with anything anybody says about Bolt - I've only used them once. The one thing I think we'd all agree on is Thailand does have some very bad drivers, and on this occasion I hired one of them. Maybe he was just P'd at the fact we refused to walk to the end of the Soi, and he wanted to put the fear of Buddha into us. He succeeded. I had just come out of surgery earlier that day, and even if I'd wanted to, I could not have walked to the end of the Soi; neither would have Mrs BB's lungs have allowed it.

It was just sods law that after friends had warned us about using Bolt, I just happened to get the driver from Hell on my first, and currently only trip with them.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:I will not disagree with anything anybody says about Bolt - I've only used them once. The one thing I think we'd all agree on is Thailand does have some very bad drivers, and on this occasion I hired one of them. Maybe he was just P'd at the fact we refused to walk to the end of the Soi, and he wanted to put the fear of Buddha into us. He succeeded. I had just come out of surgery earlier that day, and even if I'd wanted to, I could not have walked to the end of the Soi; neither would have Mrs BB's lungs have allowed it.

It was just sods law that after friends had warned us about using Bolt, I just happened to get the driver from Hell on my first, and currently only trip with them.
Moving on, 'you' would've got a message from Bolt saying 'How was your ride?' Pity it wasn't on your phone

It's important people use that platform because I'm sure that when bad drivers(for whatever reason) get X no. of bad marks then they can no longer drive for them

And for the record, and to offer balance, I myself have had ONE terrible experience with either Bolt/Grab(honestly can't remember - if pushed I'd say it was Bolt) where the driver and I very nearly came to blows. Basically he took a job he had no business taking, he was very low on fuel and had no money to buy any more. Was on the phone screaming at his wife for money, was aggressive to me and meanwhile makes me 30 minutes late for golf and I ran out of daylight. I reported him and they assured me they took my comments very seriously.

I just put that down to very bad luck and as said over 2+ years I know I made the right call

Always report bad drivers.

Ps sometimes grab and bolt are same price but mostly not

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I have reported Grab drivers before for bad service (can't even remember why now), and was rewarded financially. This was totally out of the blue, and we used my granddaughter's phone out of desperation.

I only wrote here because my friends had warned me against using Bolt, and the only time I've used it, they were right about the standard of driving. The standard of the car was fine. I accept that I was probably very unlucky.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I use Grab from time to time in Bkk, usually when I want to go somewhere (from Thonglor) not covered by the extended BTS/MRT. One of those is a regular trip to Phaya Thai (nearest BTS Victory Monument, but traffic always bad), in time to keep an appointment to get my hearing aids cleaned and serviced. Another is to go somewhere like River City, to see an exhibition (when the weather is too hot for the longish walk from the nearest station).

I actually use Grab and Bolt, but Bolt have never, ever, been able to find me a taxi. Not once.

Which takes me to my main question - do you use grab or bolt to take you to Hua Hin airport bus or train station? I usually pre-book a taxi, for fear of not being able to get to where I need to be on time. Is this something that grab or bolt can now be relied upon to do? I pay more for the taxi to the bus station in Hua Hin, than the combined fare of the bus to Bkk, the airport link from Swampy to Ramkhamhaeng station @30b, and then a 50b taxi to Thonglor.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Outside of New Year around midnight, last Tuesday was the first time I've not managed to get a Grab. I did struggle in Bangkok back in July. I use Grab quite regularly, and they always arrive quite promptly. However, my friends who warned me against Bolt also live on the outskirts similar to you, and they often have difficulty with Grab, leaving them with Bolt as the alternative.

I have used Grab in many locations around Thailand, and my only fails were Bangkok in July and Hua Hin this week.

[Edit] I've just remembered a fail in Chiang Mai once. Driver said he was at pick-up, but we couldn't see him. Grab actually fined us for that one. There was no sensible alternative at the time, and we were using Grab a lot, so bit the bullet and paid their stupid fine (about 120฿)

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

caller wrote:I use Grab from time to time in Bkk, usually when I want to go somewhere (from Thonglor) not covered by the extended BTS/MRT. One of those is a regular trip to Phaya Thai (nearest BTS Victory Monument, but traffic always bad), in time to keep an appointment to get my hearing aids cleaned and serviced. Another is to go somewhere like River City, to see an exhibition (when the weather is too hot for the longish walk from the nearest station).

I actually use Grab and Bolt, but Bolt have never, ever, been able to find me a taxi. Not once.

Which takes me to my main question - do you use grab or bolt to take you to Hua Hin airport bus or train station? I usually pre-book a taxi, for fear of not being able to get to where I need to be on time. Is this something that grab or bolt can now be relied upon to do? I pay more for the taxi to the bus station in Hua Hin, than the combined fare of the bus to Bkk, the airport link from Swampy to Ramkhamhaeng station @30b, and then a 50b taxi to Thonglor.
I'd be amazed if you didn't get either service to take you to airport at HH or certainly the rail station

But I think both

Unless some very weird time of day/night

I live in central HH and I can get bolts to Springfield golf! So airport bus would be nay bother

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Talking of Bolt

When you get a Bolt(or Grab) it tells you the registration number of the bike or car that's coming

I've noticed recently last few months that more often than not the bike that comes is not that number(not noticed re cars)

Maybe they changed bikes and not informed Bolt?

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

buksida wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:27 pm

Grab used to be the app of choice, but this one seems to be superior. The tuk-tuk/taxi mafia must be seething!
On Thai TV this morning scenes from near Grand Hotel where Grab drivers had been fighting with Motorcycle taxi riders. One camera close up showed a gun in the belt of one guy !
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

They used to be cheap but now same coat since they applied a booking fee
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali