Unexpected traffic fines surprise owners at tax renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Unexpected traffic fines surprise owners at tax renewal

Post by Big Boy »

They've been threatening this for a while...........

Unexpected traffic fines surprise vehicle owners at tax renewal in Prachuap Khiri Khan

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/un ... e_vignette
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Unexpected traffic fines surprise owners at tax renewal

Post by HHTel »

Some traffic violations carry penalty points on your licence. Is that taken care of too?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been wondering about these penalty points too. e.g. every time I go past the (what I assume to be fake) traffic camera opposite Vana Nava. The speed limit drops from 90 to 60 and the camera is about 10 yards past the 60 sign. I don't see anybody drive there at 60. I go that way every day at least once.

If the camera is simply turned off, and they turn it on, it will be very easy to pick up a driving ban. There is no way a speeding ticket would arrive through your letter box in 12 days. The fines don't particularly bother me, but the points obviously do. If you slow down to 60 at that camera, you are likely to be rear-ended.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

This assumes all this stuff is actually enforced, which would theoretically result in most of the country being technically banned from driving. :shock: I haven't seen or heard of anyone getting points yet - many Thais don't even bother with a license and I doubt much will change on that front.

Another issue with these fines is that (in our experience having had a couple of them :oops: ), they arrive about two months after the alleged infringement and weeks after the due date.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:39 am Another issue with these fines is that (in our experience having had a couple of them :oops: ), they arrive about two months after the alleged infringement and weeks after the due date.
Yes, this is exactly my fear as outlined in my example above.

Similarly, when the rules changed and I got done for running a red light. I paid the fine, no problem, but just wondered how many other times I had done the same thing without knowing - as it was, no other fines followed for that offence, but I had unknowingly done it several times - the rest must have been before the rules changed. However, are there fines waiting for my next tax renewal? Could I be banned without knowing it?

That leads on to the next question, could I be driving whilst being unknowingly disqualified? If yes, am I actually insured in the event of an accident?

OK, the above paranoia is all hypothetical, but very possible with the Thai system. Everybody will have an opinion, but I doubt anybody actually knows the answer.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If your vehicle is registered in your wife's name then you can register (using your wife's ID details) on https://ptm.police.go.th/eTicket/#/ and check for any traffic fines. May be possible even if vehicle is registered in your own name, but I don't know.

No English language option, and, no, you cannot use a non-citizen ID, even from a pink card or yellow tabien ban (requires laser number from back of ID card).