Weekend in Ao Nang

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Weekend in Ao Nang

Post by Jack_Batty »

Just got back from three days in Ao Nang, Krabi. I actually lived down there for four months during high season last year. Tried to make a go of it, but just missed Hua Hin too much. It’s perfect for what I want and need.
Lots of new restaurants and shops are open down there and the place is jam—packed with tourists. Many more than I remember from last year. I would sit outside the cafe for my morning coffee and watch load after load of crowded buses headed for the pier to go to the islands.
Do I love Ao Nang? Absolutely. It’s gorgeous. But like my other former favorite place in Thailand, Phuket, I wouldn’t recommend a visit in high season. Especially since we already live here and enjoy the luxury of visiting whenever we want.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Weekend in Ao Nang

Post by HHTel »

One of my favourite places back in the day (10+ years ago). The last time I went I found that many of the restaurants had been taken over by the Indian community limiting what was some great food choices. Prices, especially in hotels, had soared and it had become just another tourist town. I don't envisage going again but I may give it another go sometime.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:45 pm One of my favourite places back in the day (10+ years ago). The last time I went I found that many of the restaurants had been taken over by the Indian community limiting what was some great food choices. Prices, especially in hotels, had soared and it had become just another tourist town. I don't envisage going again but I may give it another go sometime.
Still TONS of Indian restaurants, but a lot of other options as well. Indian food still figures predominantly though. I would definitely go back in low season, but never again in high season. Prices really weren’t bad though.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Haven't been to Ao Nang for about ten years but always enjoyed it there even if it is uber touristy. We were on that beach for the tsumami which was quite an experience. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:39 am Haven't been to Ao Nang for about ten years but always enjoyed it there even if it is uber touristy. We were on that beach for the tsumami which was quite an experience. :shock:
Yes, Ao Nang is a lot of fun. I did enjoy my time living there, and this visit was fun as well. I don’t know when I’ll get back down there. So much more to see in the country.

Did the tsunami do a lot of damage to the Ao Nang area. I was in Patong three weeks before it hit, but safely back in the US when it happened. I had spent a few weeks there, staying in small hotel down by the beach. Timing is everything!
buksida

Post by buksida »

It wasn't as bad as Phuket or Khao Lak since the bay is very shallow, but it made quite a mess.

DSCF1731.jpg
DSCF1731.jpg (173.11 KiB) Viewed 522 times
DSCF1744.jpg
DSCF1744.jpg (134.19 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson