Canned rabbit, once a dinnertime delicacy

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Canned rabbit, once a dinnertime delicacy

Post by Nereus »

Dinner time:
........................................................................................................
Canned rabbit, once a dinnertime delicacy, now consigned to the burrows of history

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-04/ ... /103532810

"The story of the Kingston Canning and Preserving factory — and that of the rabbit canning industry — is a fascinating one," said Kingston National Trust's Maureen Andrews.

"If you talk to people these days, the perception is that the rabbit trade was a sort of a sideline during the depression. But it was much, much more than that."

Between 1870 and 1970, more than 20 billion rabbits were trapped or poisoned in South Australia and Victoria for commercial purposes.

And by the late 1920s, the rabbit industry was reported to be the largest employer in Australia.

"Kingston had a very big canning factory which opened in 1902, but it only operated for four years until the explosion on the jetty when the cans overheated. There was also a report of botulism traced back to the cannery," Ms Andrews said.

"But it was a bustling venture in its day. The skins shed had a capacity of 30,000 and it could process 1,500 pairs of rabbits daily.

"It directly employed 14 people and exported 800,000 cans of rabbit and 10 tonnes of canned lobster and canned mutton to London."

"The Longwood cannery was founded in 1891 where it produced rabbit for the dinner table by canning one-and-a-half jointed rabbits in a tin with brine, which was then boiled for canning and sealed with lead solder," Ms Andrews said.

The Mount Gambier Rabbit and Meat Preserving Company opened works at Compton in 1897 where it operated for a little under 20 years, and at its height purchased about 4,000,000 rabbits a year.
Rabbit trapper Alf Ling delivers rabbits to Kingston's rabbit cannery circa 1900.(Supplied: Kingston National Trust)
Rabbit trapper Alf Ling delivers rabbits to Kingston's rabbit cannery circa 1900.(Supplied: Kingston National Trust)
rabbits.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Long article at the link.......................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Canned rabbit, once a dinnertime delicacy

Post by HHTel »

My dad kept chickens and rabbits so we often had a 'rabbit dinner'. I used to get the skins which I could take down the local 'rag and bone' depot for cash.
When I lived in Singapore many moons ago, rabbit was quite common at the meat markets. We were always advised that when buying a rabbit to make sure it had the head on as otherwise it was probably cat which I'm told tastes very similar.
I used to love the rabbit pie my mum made.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

My late Thai wife knew the owner of an Angora rabbit farm in Thailand, as she used to deal in the skins. I was never able to find out what became of the carcass, as she would not entertain eating one of them.

Wild rabbit was a regular dinner item growing up on a farm in Oz. I used to both trap and shoot them, and my brother in law used to sometimes bring his ferrets and catch them. My mother used to bake the bigger ones, and sometimes fry the kittens or smaller ones.
Good wholesome food! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It was certainly a regular item on our dinner table - most often rabbit stew!! The man next door used to keep rabbits so my mum didn’t have far to go to get one - I can remember on many an occasion the man opening up the rabbit almost literally from head to toe and pulling the innards out. Similarly, the man over the road used to keep chickens and as well as supplying eggs, I often saw him ring the neck of a chicken and then slug its throat and hang it by its feet over a bucket. Not sure what today’s children would make of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk