Thai law prohibits foreigners from driving passengers.

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai law prohibits foreigners from driving passengers.

Post by VincentD »

There is a list of restricted jobs that foreigners are not allowed to do. This list has been there for donkey's years. More to discourage the Indian guys on a tourist visa selling peanuts on the street, but lately many foreigners seem to be jumping on the bandwagon selling things like kebabs and the like from street stalls. No work permit, in a restricted job. If you are a high-end chef at a hotel working with a work permit, that's another story. The oldtime bar owners should know, you can only observe your business from a distance, and never be on the wrong side of the counter. It's just that the newer influx of 'business owners choose to be a highly visible part of that business. This is a big no-no, and if it becomes too visible to ignore, the BIB are forced to jump in.
BB shouldn't worry about bringing friends around, he's not running a business, nor is he a business owner.
วินเชนท์
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:02 pm The thread title was taken from the link, which was quoting the law.

We already know that Thailand has a law for everything, but they just aren't enforced. Therefore, it surely is a fact, but not enforced.
So you are stating the law does state foreigners cannot carry passengers?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not me, The Bangkok Post. Now, would a newspaper change the wording to dramatise/grab attention/sell newspapers?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB, the Bangkok Post is basically an English language newspaper for Thais, mostly written by Thais. Hence, some rather pathetic editing of what I would assume a piece written by rather junior staff.
That said, I had to go back to the article to read it in it's entirety.
They are targeting foreigners working illegally. She is not supposed to be running a spa (or salon) as it is on the restricted list of jobs. She was driving a marked vehicle (for the specific purpose of transporting her customers of said spa)so that would fall under the auspices of said business.
There is nothing wrong with a foreigner driving a personal vehicle and bringing people around as long as that foreigner is not operating it under the auspices of an illegal business.
Also, I suspect someone must have complained for the authorities to take such action.
Don't worry, they haven't put a target on a certain Ford pickup in Hua Hin yet.. :laugh:
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree with everything you are saying, and it most certainly hasn't stopped me carrying passengers. However, it is an 'unused' law that they have dragged out of the closet for this one occasion, when it suited. Who knows when the next time might be?

I'm thinking more down the lines of estate agents, driving prospective buyers to view a property.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That Swiss doctor must be really popular in Phuket now:

Phuket to crack down on illegal foreign businesses using Thai nominees
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-to- ... -nominees/

"Phuket administration has agreed to set up a centre to deal with illegal alien businesses, after complaints from Thai business operators that many foreigners have set up businesses on the resort island, using their Thai wives or other Thai nationals as nominees."
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:29 am That Swiss doctor must be really popular in Phuket now:

Phuket to crack down on illegal foreign businesses using Thai nominees
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phuket-to- ... -nominees/

"Phuket administration has agreed to set up a centre to deal with illegal alien businesses, after complaints from Thai business operators that many foreigners have set up businesses on the resort island, using their Thai wives or other Thai nationals as nominees."
As said to Harry Callaghan in The Enforcer "About as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool." :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.