The Boxing Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

The Boxing Thread

Post by pharvey »

NOTE: I'll get around to moving other Boxing Threads here soon to tidy things up a bit :thumb:

Anywho... I don't watch anywhere near the amount of boxing I used to watch, partly due to the difficulty in getting a (free) stream - not paying an additional £25 for the pleasure! Partly due to the silly-o-clock schedule (for the UK anyway).

Tonight's is an earlier one (+/- 10pm UK - coverage of the undercards begins around 6pm UK) and could be interesting - Anthony Joshua vs Francis Ngannou. The latter in only his second Pro Heavyweight bout - his 1st against World Champion Fury, dropping him on his ample arse and narrowly losing on a split decision (wrongly IMO), is an incredibly hard hitting MMA Fighter who can certainly take a punch (or an elbow, or a knee or....). Joshua at his best is an an extremely good boxer (rather than fighter) who also hits hard - his chin has been suspect on a couple of occasions previously. He certainly needs to give Ngannou his full respect as a loss will hit (if not kill off) hopes of another big payday against Fury or Usyk. AJ should take it, but most wrote FN off completely before the Fury fight (including myself) and if AJ gets caught, it could go horribly wrong very quickly.

Can't say I like what's happening in sport these days with the influence of the likes of Saudi Arabia/Gulf States and the ludicrous money involved (AJ will "reportedly" make $50m to Ngannou’s $20m – not factoring in pay-per-view points), but BIG sport is BIG money these days which also leads to some farcical events - be fair a "YouTube Influencer" vs a 58 year old Ex-World Champion as in Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson has just been announced for July 20th :roll: I pray Tyson puts Paul on his idiotic arse quickly, but fear the event will be purely theatrical.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/68504821

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:53 pm NOTE: I'll get around to moving other Boxing Threads here soon to tidy things up a bit :thumb:
Anywho... I don't watch anywhere near the amount of boxing I used to watch, partly due to the difficulty in getting a (free) stream - not paying an additional £25 for the pleasure! Partly due to the silly-o-clock schedule (for the UK anyway).
For 75 quid a year you can get all PPV sport events plus all the channels you need, even on your phone. I've used my service for a lot of years now and the only thing that stopped me watching Joshua was I was out until 1.00 am then forgot. :oops:

He's looking the part this time around, I know the opposition wasn't top drawer but was clinically despatched, can do no more than that. Praying for Fury v. Joshua in the evil KSA.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:53 am
pharvey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:53 pm NOTE: I'll get around to moving other Boxing Threads here soon to tidy things up a bit :thumb:
For 75 quid a year you can get all PPV sport events plus all the channels you need, even on your phone. I've used my service for a lot of years now and the only thing that stopped me watching Joshua was I was out until 1.00 am then forgot. :oops:

He's looking the part this time around, I know the opposition wasn't top drawer but was clinically despatched, can do no more than that. Praying for Fury v. Joshua in the evil KSA.
I missed this one - apologies. As for the boxing, well - AJ put him away with a spot of class quite frankly. Getting back to where he should be, but please don't give after fight speeches!! :roll: As you say, not top draw opposition, but he was put away where Fury couldn't. Fury of course underestimated Ngannou, but that sums Fury up. Huge bloke with an enormous reach, debateable chin and zero boxing ability - unfortunately he can hit and with his reach, keeps others at a distance. I honestly think AJ in this form will beat him - again though Fury is on a payday vs Usyk for two fights (both of which he'll lose - earn millions then quit again).

AJ vs Usyk III is a possibility, but a long way off....

As to your £75 for ALL... Share details - I'm happy with a PM.

:cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I usually watch the 'big' boxing events particularly the heavyweights and also UFC. Used buffstreams.sx for a couple years and haven't encountered many issues. A few crashes here and there like the footy but just a quick reload of the page does the trick. Used vipstand for a good 5-10 years before that but it became very glitchy. Not sure if it's fixed itself yet.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 am I usually watch the 'big' boxing events particularly the heavyweights and also UFC. Used buffstreams.sx for a couple years and haven't encountered many issues. A few crashes here and there like the footy but just a quick reload of the page does the trick. Used vipstand for a good 5-10 years before that but it became very glitchy. Not sure if it's fixed itself yet.
Yeah, I know all the streams, but especially for the BIG events - Heavyweight Boxing, they tend to drop out. I was just interested in CJ's comment in that he get's it all.....
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:39 am
Lost wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 am I usually watch the 'big' boxing events particularly the heavyweights and also UFC. Used buffstreams.sx for a couple years and haven't encountered many issues. A few crashes here and there like the footy but just a quick reload of the page does the trick. Used vipstand for a good 5-10 years before that but it became very glitchy. Not sure if it's fixed itself yet.
Yeah, I know all the streams, but especially for the BIG events - Heavyweight Boxing, they tend to drop out. I was just interested in CJ's comment in that he get's it all.....
You'll get a PM. For PPV boxing there are usually several streams in case one is glitchy.