Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PeteC

Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Post by PeteC »

This is so misleading and WRONG it makes me want to spit! Yes, they can live on that amount or less if they would live like a Thai. If they have any ambitions of living anything close to a modest western lifestyle their dreams will be dashed on the rocks very quickly. By then perhaps too late to go back as no funds left. Old foreigners left hung out to dry.

Articles like this are damaging and do nothing but encourage unrealistic hopes. :banghead:

https://thepattayanews.com/2024/03/27/c ... 500-month/

A new survey from International Living stated that Chiang Mai is one of 13 budget-friendly places where couples can retire abroad and live on as little as US$1,500/month. The report describes Chiang Mai as a lively and diverse city.

It is an area where Thais, Chinese, Indians, and foreigners live together smoothly. Chiang Mai’s charm lies in its rich history and culture. But there is still a way of life that is within reach. Housing costs are only $300 per month (approximately 10,000 baht), making it attractive to retirees looking for a comfortable and rewarding lifestyle, combined with the charm and beauty of an interesting culture.

The survey uses seven benchmarks:

Visas and benefits

Cost of living

Affinity rating

Health care

Development and governance

Climate

A study of 200 countries around the world found 13 destinations that couples enjoy after retirement and are able to live on just $1,500 per month.

In addition to examining those factors, International Living also considers the availability of high-speed internet. Networking opportunities and local people or English-speaking service providers in each country are an important factor, as well.

13 places where couples can retire abroad and live on as little as $1,500/month:

Penang, Malaysia

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Kuching, Malaysia

Hoi An, Vietnam

Querétaro, Mexico

Isla Mujeres, Mexico

Cozumel, Mexico

Armenia, Colombia

Arenal, Costa Rica

Alicante, Spain

Granada, Spain

Bergerac, France

The preceding is a press release from the Thai Government PR Department.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Re: Chiang Mai Listed Where Couple Can Retire for US$1,500/month

Post by pharvey »

Hell, I've visited many countries and worked in them for far longer than just the few weeks vacation when you fall in love with the sun, sea and well....

I have to be honest in saying despite things being stupidly expensive, I will stay in Wales - a beautiful country I live in the Wye Valley close to the Beacons and not a million miles from Pembrokeshire. I used to dream of retirement in Asia or the likes of Spain, Greece or Turkey - but have since rethought things. I have no mortgage, the NHS (in Wales) is superb, my Pension is good - whilst the Government one only favours the likes of BigBoy :neener:

Visits to Asia are always on the cards, but I no longer want to live there. South Africa was wonderful, but the same applies (SA has changed dramatically since I lived there).

I'd love to know what the equivalent in Thailand/Chiang Mai is for Mortgages/"Council Tax"/NHS etc - do they exist? As a "Foreigner" it seems you can't do a great deal.....

The LHG has got to the point where shae wants to bin her Chinese Passport and get a British/UK one as she feels the UK has taken better care of her than China/Asia ever have. It's a conversation that is difficult to be sure, but...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

$1500 a month isn't even enough for a retirement visa ...
... for one person, let alone a 'couple'
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm ........The LHG has got to the point where she wants to bin her Chinese Passport and get a British/UK one as she feels the UK has taken better care of her than China/Asia ever have. It's a conversation that is difficult to be sure, but......
Can't she keep both if she gets UK citizenship?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 am
pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm ........The LHG has got to the point where she wants to bin her Chinese Passport and get a British/UK one as she feels the UK has taken better care of her than China/Asia ever have. It's a conversation that is difficult to be sure, but......
Can't she keep both if she gets UK citizenship?
She has a Visa which basically allows her to stay indefinitely, but not citizenship. She works here, pays tax, gets a pension and the benefits of the NHS - none of which I would get in China (or I guess Thailand).

To be honest, we might not get the sun and we have an arswipe government, but I'll still stick with the UK as will the LHG.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Chiang Mai is also listed as the most polluted city on Earth. Happy retirement ... in hospital where, as a foreigner, your $1,500 wont last a day unless you have insurance.

"On Thursday morning, dust and smoke from forest fires covered the runway at Chiang Mai Airport, near Doi Suthep in Mueang Chiang Mai District. People in Chiang Mai city are unable to see Doi Suthep, which is consistent with iqair.com's air quality report, which ranks Chiang Mai as the city with the worst air quality in the world."
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am Chiang Mai is also listed as the most polluted city on Earth.
I'm amazed at that. Having visited Chiang Mai (admittedly years ago) but also many polluted cities in China and several other locations around the world including the likes of Delhi, Bhopal, Calcutta, Mumbai (you get the gist with India), industrial regions in Russia were also bad - but I guess it's all down to what type of pollution or criteria we are talking. Masses of data which can be worked into any argument - Noise, Particulate, Ozone, Chemical, Dust, Plastic... you name it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm
buksida wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am Chiang Mai is also listed as the most polluted city on Earth.
I'm amazed at that. Having visited Chiang Mai (admittedly years ago) but also many polluted cities in China and several other locations around the world including the likes of Delhi, Bhopal, Calcutta, Mumbai (you get the gist with India), industrial regions in Russia were also bad - but I guess it's all down to what type of pollution or criteria we are talking. Masses of data which can be worked into any argument - Noise, Particulate, Ozone, Chemical, Dust, Plastic... you name it.
I’d agree with that about India especially Mumbai and it’s near neighbour Dhaka in Bangladesh- both the pits when I visited in the 2005-6 timescale
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

The preceding is a press release from the Thai Government PR Department :roll:
hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm
My son currently has students from Chiang Mai because of the pollution. This is the 3rd consecutive year they have visited because of air quality. They say don't believe what you hear on TV - it's worse, a lot worse.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm My son currently has students from Chiang Mai because of the pollution. This is the 3rd consecutive year they have visited because of air quality. They say don't believe what you hear on TV - it's worse, a lot worse.
Sad news really, why has it gone downhill so much over the years? Is it down to increased traffic?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is the crop burning/forest fires.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This article, ironically from last year, explains the problem and why nothing ever gets done about it:

How Chiang Mai became the world’s most polluted city
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/1 ... luted-city

“The problem is very much tied to the big agricultural industry, which the government is not even trying to touch,” Weenarin said.
“Tycoon families on top of the economy” – including those running agribusiness conglomerates – “are very close to the government, Danny Marks, a professor of environmental politics and policy at Dublin City University, told Al Jazeera. “They donate to all major parties, are close with the military.”
“The main reason for the crisis is how politics operates in Thailand,” he said.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

We seem to be moving off topic a tad, but as I mentioned previously, pollution can be measured in many, many different ways. Pollution of the rivers (plastics, sewerage erc.) Air (particulates - rubber, chemical, smoke - simple field/farming fires or more serious).... Pollution from farming is a huge issue in Wales for example. Huge chicken farms supplying the "Big Four Supermarkets" - phosphates injected to increase growth, phosphates in their collective crap and phosphates used in fertiliser are destroying our rivers and fish life. Would anything regarding phosphates be included in the report on Chiang Mai pollution? I very much doubt it.....

Anywho, going back to topic..... To live on $1,500 here in the UK would be a no-no and I honestly can't believe anywhere else realistically for a westerner. Costs in China were getting daft before I left several years back. Pork (for some reason) was always the go to price to get the gist of what was happening.... How's that in Thailand?

:cheers: :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Everything is going up here all the time (yes, I know someone will tell me that eggs are now half a baht cheaper than last year :roll:) but in general, the cost of living in Thailand is increasing (especially food and drink ... and now utility bills and fuel which will push everything else up further). Where you'll save compared to the west is on accommodation.

Additionally, you'll pay a premium on everything if you choose to retire in a tourist town such as Chiang Mai. If I had a fixed income of $1,500 (which is only 54,526 baht - 27k each if you're a couple), I wouldn't dream of retiring in Thailand (I think someone already mentioned that it doesn't even cover the requirements for the retirement visa for an individual ... then add the tax dilemma ... and then health/insurance concerns/costs ... ). Your money will go much further in other countries in the region.

Oh yeah, then there's this ... enjoy a slow death ...

434703057_849501870555656_7246591689690009579_n.jpg
(103.89 KiB) Downloaded 407 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson