Songkran 2024 Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, they're back - I saw a couple of minor accidents yesterday. I don't think there were any serious injuries.

Interestingly, there are several versions of the truth out there again. BBC World News were reporting 60 dead on day 1. Meanwhile, local press report this https://www.thaipbsworld.com/25-killed- ... an-travel/

The truth is out there...................... somewhere.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Re: Songkran 2024 Road Accidents

Post by buksida »

Police Report 60 Deaths on the First Day of Songkran’s “7 Dangerous Days”
Nikorn Jamnong, director of the Chartthaipattana Party and president of the People’s Safety Foundation, expressed worry about an increase in accidents preceding and following the “seven dangerous days” accident period.

According to Mr Nikorn, 60 deaths occurred on Wednesday, up from 30 deaths in the same period last year. There were 50 documented motorcycle deaths, four of which were expats.

With 4,207 road deaths reported in the first quarter of this year, Mr Nikorn believes authorities must consider more than just the Songkran vacation dates when planning road safety.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/7-d ... kran-2024/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I said, the truth is out there somewhere, but us mere plebs are not likely to be told what it really is.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Two separate reports indicate 60 deaths, so that’s probably closer to the truth than the one claiming 25!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

But be sure one of the reports concurs with Gov't targets :?

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Interesting that the Chiangraitimes report talks about deaths on Wednesday whereas the Thaipbsworld report mentions Thursday - perhaps we’re looking at different days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

The holiday is so long this year that the "seven dangerous days" should probably be extended to "ten dangerous days" ... either way, its the same carnage we see every year, and nothing will ever change.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's also the counting method; killed on the spot or dies later in hospital. I don't think we ever hear or see anything published about the latter.

Also, motorcycles seem to be the star of the show once again and always.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

A figure I never see is how much does it cost to treat all those who are injured from highway accidents. Many injured will require extensive health care treatment…….
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Can you imagine trying to track all of the costs involved - technically I’m sure it’s feasible but practically it would be nearly impossible.

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PeteC wrote:There's also the counting method; killed on the spot or dies later in hospital. I don't think we ever hear or see anything published about the latter.

Also, motorcycles seem to be the star of the show once again and always.
According to thairsc.com 62 people died on the roads yesterday. 2,264 were injured.

Probably a bit early to declare how many injured will die later in hospital.

But the numbers are adjusted as and when injuries become fatalities and some of the 7 days statistics may well be adjusted by end of next week.

We shall see. If we bother to look after the news cycle moves on.
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:31 pm Can you imagine trying to track all of the costs involved - technically I’m sure it’s feasible but practically it would be nearly impossible.

Don’t the public hospitals track costs/expenditures/procedures……….
There doesn't seem to be any problem calculating exactly how much money the holidays will generate via tourism.

If you want to read about the costs of motor vehicle crashes in the US, follow the two links below.

Costs of Motor-Vehicle Crashes - Injury Facts (nsc.org)

Costs of Motor-Vehicle Injuries
Average Economic Cost by Injury Severity or Crash, 2021
Estimates are the costs by severity of injuries, as defined in sections 2.3.4 through 2.3.6 of the Manual on Classification of Motor Vehicle Traffic Accidents (7th Edition) ANSI Standard D16.1-2007.

Traffic Crashes Cost America Billions in 2019 | NHTSA

Motor vehicle crashes cost American society $340 billion in 2019, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced today. The agency’s new report, “The Economic and Societal Impact of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2019,” examines the costs of one year of crashes that killed an estimated 36,500 people, injured 4.5 million, and damaged 23 million vehicles.
buksida

Post by buksida »

BP claiming 206 in five days ... but we don't really believe much of what this govt mouthpiece publishes any longer.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... eaches-206

Thairsc reports an average of 52 per day so far this month.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

The death toll during Songkran or New Year is no higher than the average at other times of the year:

At least 20,000 people die on Thailand's roads every year, making them the ninth most dangerous in the world, according to research by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
buksida

Post by buksida »

pitsch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am making them the ninth most dangerous in the world, according to research by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Ninth? Wow ... there are eight countries where more than 385 people are killed on the roads every week? (I thought Thailand topped the list) :shock:

Agree on the Songkran stats, its the same carnage every day of the year!