Will the Premier League scrap VAR?

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Yes
14%
No
71%
Partially
14%
Decision delayed for further study
No votes

Total votes: 7

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

See the poll. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Will the Premier League scrap VAR?

Post by Lost »

No.

Semi automated offsides will be introduced (it beggars belief why we're late to the party on that). Goaline technology will remain (it beggars belief why others are late to the party on that).

VAR will continue for subjective penalties, red cards etc.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've added a "partially" option. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I watch a lot of Thai T1 and English Premiership football, and believe me, compared with Thailand, VAR in the Premiership is brilliant.

My fear is the margins are so tight, there will always be error, and the human intervention will make mistakes. IMHO the only way to eliminate human error is to eliminate human intervention. You need an automated system that makes decisions. Of course such machines would require regular calibration, and cost would be OTT.

Thailand rolls VAR to T2 next season. Until now they've only been able to afford 4 sets of VAR equipment for the whole of Thailand, hence no more than 4 games in any day, except the final day, when the Thai League decides the 4 most important games. Are there similar restrictions on Sunday's final day in England?

I'm sat on the fence regarding the poll question. I'd love to see VAR scrapped, but think that is unlikely. However, whilst there is human intervention, it will never be 100%. I think the Premiership is doing its best to make it work, and I would expect continual improvement.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think it will continue and be subjected to amendement just as the laws are.

Not that many years ago, offside was offside. It didn't matter where the player actually offside was, or whether interfering with play or not. Easy for the linesman, follow the last defender, any opposition player beyond that last defender when the ball is played forward, and the flag went up. That's long gone.

And I think we will see the end of the microscopic examination by VAR seeking to establish something that was beyond 'clear and obvious' and in England it has gone way beyond that for everything. Hence the terrible delays. Look at Chalobah's goal for Chelsea againt the spuds, first they looked for offside, when is was clearly obvious Chalobah wasn't, then they loooked for offside against Cucarella, when he clearly and obviously wasn't, and then they noticed what they thought might have been a foul by Cucarella, which until then, no-one had thought there had been. That was not something that meets the qualifying rule of has the referee missed something clear and obvious. It took them how many minutes to consider what all the players and everyone in the ground knew, including the referee, who clearly hadn't missed anything 'clear and obvious' - and that it was a perfectly good goal.

That was all beyond the remit for VAR to intervene and the officials must be re-trained to adhere to 'clear and obvious'.
Talk is cheap