Buy a condo & rent out

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Buy a condo & rent out

Post by derf1 »

I have read many of the topics in this section and I think I am starting to get some idea of some of the issues. I am looking for feedback on the idea of buying a condo and then leasing it out for most of the year. For now I would only be interested in occupying it for at most a month and it would be off season. Has anyone done this and had success in purchasing a waterfront condo and having the mortgage paid off over time by leasing it out.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Re: Buy a condo & rent out

Post by Jockey »

derf1 wrote:I have read many of the topics in this section and I think I am starting to get some idea of some of the issues. I am looking for feedback on the idea of buying a condo and then leasing it out for most of the year. For now I would only be interested in occupying it for at most a month and it would be off season. Has anyone done this and had success in purchasing a waterfront condo and having the mortgage paid off over time by leasing it out.
Derf - There are many agencies in Hua Hin (I'm not one of them), who would gladly rent your condo out charging you commision of course. A good condo can coin in a large amount for 2 / 4 week periods but could also stay empty if you don't get your marketing or agency right. Condos are also very expensive now in relation to what they were 4 years ago, but they represent (IMO) an excellent investment, particularly because of the legal issues with property, many think the condo prices are set to rise dramatically.

I noted you asked about paying off the mortgage. It would be very difficult for a Ferang (foreigner) to buy a condo using a mortgage. The Thai banks would insist you have a non immigration B visa, collatoral, proof of income in Thailand etc. The decision on the loan could take 3 months by which time the condo could be sold to someone else!

A 7 million baht condo could demand rents of 50/60,000 baht per month (short term) or about 25/30,000 a month long term (6 months to 1 year).
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by derf1 »

Jockey- thanxs for the reply, it gives good direction for more questions to ask and people to talk too. I think I can get funding outside of Thailand for mortgages but will come back with questions when I get answers to your thoughts. Thanxs and cheers
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

You can get mortgages in the UK to buy abroad - in my case, if I so desire, by re-mortgaging on my house.
Talk is cheap
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Not that I am an expert but I would be very surprised if a British high street bank would lend against a property in Thailand. As you posted Caller, if you want a sterling mortgage for a property in Thailand you can re-mortgage against your UK home and release equity to pay for a property in LoS. That is exactly what we did.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In addition to the above, some offshore banks will give you property loans secured against other investments you hold, such as pension funds, equities, or endowments.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I read Jakob and Marck from 2nd homes estate agency have negotiated a deal with a Danish bank to organise mortgages.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Re: Buy a condo & rent out

Post by Winkie »

Jockey wrote:
derf1 wrote:
I noted you asked about paying off the mortgage. It would be very difficult for a Ferang (foreigner) to buy a condo using a mortgage. The Thai banks would insist you have a non immigration B visa, collatoral, proof of income in Thailand etc. The decision on the loan could take 3 months by which time the condo could be sold to someone else!
Bangkok Bank in Singapore seem very willnig to arrange Mortgages for Foreigners buying in Thailand.

A buddy of mine has done just that with a Condo in Cha Am. It seems they were also very professional ont he legal side of the purchase also.

Winkie
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by derf1 »

Hi Jockey
What is a "non immigration B visa"? Is it attainable?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

derf1 wrote:Hi Jockey
What is a "non immigration B visa"? Is it attainable?
Read more about it here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=4160
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by derf1 »

Norseman
Thanks for the link. It has been very helpful especially if full time retirement were something that is being considered. The ramifications are significant.
up2u
Rookie
Rookie

non im b visa

Post by up2u »

we obtained our non im 'b ' visa with the help of sunbelt asia , very easy no problems at all
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by derf1 »

Dear Up2U
What is sunbelt asia?
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

derf1 wrote:Dear Up2U
What is sunbelt asia?
{removed by admin}
derf1
Amateur
Amateur

Post by derf1 »

Jockey Thanks for the link. It looks like these folks do franchise and business establishment plans but there link show a legal part to their business as well, such as how to deal with the Visa Runs. Any idea if they deal only with people that are buying businesses.
Cheers

Derf