New Business - Laundry Service - Help!!

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
simonrogers1975
Amateur
Amateur

New Business - Laundry Service - Help!!

Post by simonrogers1975 »

I am looking to set up a new company for a Laundry Business that provides free pick up and delivery in Hua Hin.

I need some advice on setting up a business, who what when how etc?

In addition who are the best lawyers to sort out the lease on a building who can provide some good advice?

Generally would it appeal to you? I am not asking for business here but if a service were there would you use it?

Again please feel free to add questions, comments, concerns etc.

Simon
Many thanks
Simon Rogers
One Life Live it
+44 7739 940 131
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hi Simon

There are some jobs that are restricted for foreigners, things that the locals are deemed capable of doing. I think a laundry/transport business may fall into that category. I do remember hairdressing as being one of the restricted categories...

Vincent
วินเชนท์
simonrogers1975
Amateur
Amateur

To be honest I was looking to set up a business in Laundry but hire Thai people to do the work. I was goign to do nothing more than to obtain new customers.

In addition I am an accountant that would be looking to teach or to set up a practice.

In summary the Laundry business would be run by Thai's, is this allowed?

Thanks for the comment

Si
Many thanks
Simon Rogers
One Life Live it
+44 7739 940 131
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Si,

Are you sure that you've done adequate market research? Every other house/shop seems to offer a laundry service already, and the prices they advertise are generally very competetive.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
simonrogers1975
Amateur
Amateur

Laundry Service

I lived in Hua Hin for a couple of months last year and then travelled around Thailand for longer period of time. My frustration was with the quality of service often varied and I always felt uncomfortable with the fact that I was taking my clothes to a shack, I do not mean any dis-respect here but if there are others like me then they may be willing to pay slightly more knowing full well that there clothes are going to be cleaned and within 12 hours if they wish. Also I do not know if many do home service. Again I am very lazy and it would appeal to me.

I appreciate your point there is a lot of competition, but I was looking to buy a few out and close them down. Tesco style of management I am afraid.

Cheers

Simon
Many thanks
Simon Rogers
One Life Live it
+44 7739 940 131
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Maybe you were unlucky - or maybe I'm just lucky - because every time I've used a laundry in Thailand my clothes have been blitzed and come back cleaner than clean!

Enterprising Thais have started laundry businesses on some of the housing developments so there is no need to go to a shack - the laundry is run from their house!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have to concur with Jaime. Wherever I've rented a house in Hua Hin, there's always been a laundry service within a couple of doors. Once they know you're in need of their services, they turn up every morning to collect any dirties, and they're usually returned by 4 in the afternoon, or whenever you return home. These people are quite enterprising, and appreciate the repeat business.

Maybe if you were travelling around, you received a second rate service because they knew there was no chance of repeat business. But I don't believe that you're looking for one off business.
I was looking to buy a few out and close them down. Tesco style of management I am afraid.
I wish you luck in this venture, they'll gladly take your money, but I don't believe they'll stop laundering - if they do, they'll simply open up again next door. There are so many, you will have to buy out hundreds to be sure of a collective market - even then, if your prices are not competetive, it won't be far to a laundry that is.

I know that my wife for one, would rather take her business elsewhere to get a better price - just don't forget, you're thinking about business in Thailand.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

My laundry lady is at my office at 9.30 prompt every monday,wednesday and Friday - clothes come back perfect by 4pm same day. I go through shirts and trousers every day so get through lots of clothes, she asks for 350 baht per month but i pay her 500 baht - it is well worth it, she is a diamond. Tough act to follow and i bet there are many other people living here get the same great service.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Simon,

there are many pitfalls to doing (or running) any kind of business in Thailand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but many of the bar owners have to sit on the outside of the bar counter - if they're behind the bar they're technically in trouble. Some even observe their businesses from the bar across the road... especially when the boys in brown make their rounds.

With a laundry the boundaries are not as well defined.

A word of advice. If you have not read reader's contributions on the stickmanbangkok.com website, it's probably time you did. There are many contributors offering very good advice, and Casanundra's article posted today on 'Investing in Thailand' seems an appropriate starting point. Skip the articles by the obvious mongers (unless that's your thing.. :)

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader20 ... er2985.htm

And most of us who have stayed here for a while eventually get local help; they clean dust, garden, even cook! - on top of doing the laundry - for about two hundred baht a day (at least in Bangkok).
วินเชนท์
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Simon, I have to agree with everybody else, every time that I have used a laundry service anywhere in Thailand, my cloths have come back perfectly washed, ironed, folded and looking wonderful.
I was there a few weeks ago and was basically paying between 30-40baht per kilo for shirts to be washed, ironed and folded.
That sort of work, involves a lot of labour and overheads (water, power etc) before you start making any profit, I would certainly be looking for other avenues to be starting a business.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
simonrogers1975
Amateur
Amateur

VincentID / JW / Big Boy,

I appreciate the feedback at such short notice. Point noted, I am already looking at pricing and my focus was the bigger clients rather than the expats or home residence such as hotels, restaurants etc. The rest of the customer base was going to be developments out of the city.

I know what you mean about the number of laundries around, a good refresher for me to know how competitive the market will be.

Any suggestions how much to pay Thai people doing this sort of work?

Have to say this is a great forum.

Simon
Many thanks
Simon Rogers
One Life Live it
+44 7739 940 131
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I've never had any problem with laundry anywhere in Thailand and if I did, well there's another laundry within 50 metres.
Its a business where floor prices are well set and charging more won't work IMO.
I mean, how much cleaner than clean can your laundry get it?
I think its the kind of business guys set up for girlfriends to get them out of the bar but its only going to provide a living for the GF at best.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Over on this side it's hard to find a laundry that can handle big things, like drapes, king size bed quilts, those hot dog shaped bed pillows etc. They are here but usually passed down by word of mouth as to where they are.

Electric dryers are becomming more common but my no means the rule. Many places still line dry which can cause big delays in the rainy season.

Dry cleaning is also hard to find for those of us with wool business suits hanging in the closet that we may need to wear once or twice a year...that is if they still fit. :shock: LOL. :cheers: Pete
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

This is a good site for information http://www.siamlaw.co.th/publications/keyaspdec04.htm

Restricted business activities

The Foreign Business Act contains three lists of restricted businesses that cannot be conducted.

Activities in List One cannot be carried out by foreigners. These activities include: media operations, agriculture and farming, trade in “ancient Thai objects.â€
simonrogers1975
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks

Again, there is a lot of information here that needs to be absorbed. Thanks for all of your contributions, good luck to all.

Simon
Many thanks
Simon Rogers
One Life Live it
+44 7739 940 131