The End Of Border Runs From Oct 1, 2006

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

ricardo wrote:Guess,

There was no mention of needing to show any money - but I didn't ask.

When I asked what they required for a Multi Non Immigrant "O" they told to bring the application, photos and my marriage certificate, plus the fee $S 240. They seemed surprised that I was questioning whether they still granted Multiple Entry Visas.

I have never been asked to show evidence of money in the bank when applying for a Multiple Non Immigrant "O" visa in either Singapore 2004 or Hull U.K. in 2005.

I am sure the B400,000 in the bank, only applies to a marriage visa which I have never applied for.
I am sure what you say is correct but that is just yet another completely different story from what I heard during that period.

In fact I had a document from Penang stating that at that time a non-immigrant O (visiting family and friends) could only be granted in the passport holders own country. The get one in Penang you had to be either married and show 400,00 baht or a monthly sum that amounted to that amount or a retirement visa that required more money. They quoted 500,000 baht or monthly income or a mixture of both whilst immigration in Thailand and all the farang media were quoting 800,000 naht. When I got my first marriage visa in 2005 (wrongly thinking that i would not have to do the 90 day Ranong trip anymore) I asked about the retirement visa and they said that if over someone over 50 years old with bank statements for the last year to show you were solbernt and had a permanent place of residence and did not have to suppliment your income by illegal working, that as low as 30,000 baht per month would usually be enough.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Guess,
I think you are getting confused between a visa and an extension; the various amounts required in a Thai bank either as a lump sum or a regular income are only required to extend a visa when you are inside Thailand so that you can stay in the country for 'up to 12 months', and reporting every 90 days to your designated immigration office. As far as I am aware there are normally only four scenarios (or variations of them) where you can do this, which are marriage to a Thai, having or being a dependent in Thailand, studying, and retirement (essentially being over 50). To obtain the relevant non-immigrant visa (all variants on the 'O' type) you are supposed to show proof of your circumstances to a Thai consulate or Embassy. From what I can gather, the gradual change has been that certainly in the countries neighbouring Thailand, only single entry versions of these visas are being issued, and eventually it seems that the idea is that you can only obtain multiple entry non-immigrant visas in your home country. However if you have the necessary funds in a Thai bank (for marriage this is currently either 400,000 baht or an average monthly income of 40,000 baht, retirement is 800,000 or 65,000) then you can apply for the extension once you arrive in Thailand, and if you need to go out of the country you need to apply for a re-entry permit so you don't 'lose' any extension that has been granted. Once you have been granted an extension, from what I can gather it is constantly renewable as long as you still meet the requirements. As far as I am aware in the last 7 years (the extent of my knowledge!) there has never been a requirement to show funds to actually get the visa, only to get an extension to it. This may of course be different for different countries, but it is certainly the case for most European countries.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

I think Wanderlust is correct about proof of funds when you apply for a 'long stay permit' within Thailand. As in this case you may not be leaving the country for upto 12 months (only reporting to immigration every 90 days) and therefore need to show you can support yourself/family.

If you obtain a non-imm 'O' for visit/support of family in your home country you are only permitted to stay here for 90 days, then you have to leave the country. In this case the Thai government website says you need to show 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family (but they never seem to ask to see it).

It's quite a useful website and may be of use to people: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#Tourist

Burger
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Wanderlust wrote:
Once you have been granted an extension, from what I can gather it is constantly renewable as long as you still meet the requirements.
And once you have completed 3 consecutive, un-interuppted '1 year long-stays' you can apply for permanent residency status and have no more worries about visas/reporting/visa runs (providing you meet certain criteria.)

Woohoo ........... I think!?

Burger
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:Guess,
I think you are getting confused between a visa and an extension;

Yes I am getting confused but it seems like a lot less confused than most. I thought I knew exactly the difference between a visa, a visa waiver, a visa extension and a visa renewal.

the various amounts required in a Thai bank either as a lump sum or a regular income are only required to extend a visa when you are inside Thailand so that you can stay in the country for 'up to 12 months', and reporting every 90 days to your designated immigration office.

I have never heard of a visa extension inside Thailand for twelve months. What I have heard of is a renewal in Thailand of an existing current visa. I have never done it myself as when my non-immigrant O based on marriage (as Lomu pointed out one year ago and many others have echoed since, there is no such thing as a marriage visa but only a immigrant O based on marriage) expired last March I was in a Private Hospital and unable to put the renewal scenario to the test. I have heard many different stories about the requirements to do this from different sources and I still don't know what is required for a renewal.

As far as I am aware there are normally only four scenarios (or variations of them) where you can do this, which are marriage to a Thai, having or being a dependent in Thailand, studying, and retirement (essentially being over 50). To obtain the relevant non-immigrant visa (all variants on the 'O' type) you are supposed to show proof of your circumstances to a Thai consulate or Embassy.

This ties up with my understanding regarding type O anyway without us muddying the waters by venturing into type I and I think type A but maybe that is finished , and type B. The point I am making is that the amount of money required to obtain the first Visa, changes dependent upon where the embassy/consulate is located, the nationality you are (even with the 40 odd accepted counties) and who you ask. There is a fifth scenario BTW that I have had and that is one that many people get which a non immigrant O for the purpose of visiting family and friends. This currently is only available at the embassy/consulate within the country that issued your passport, varies from country to country and even consulate to consulate. I have had one before and all it required was a letter from a UK citizen residing in the UK stating that they would bail me out of Thailand if I ran out of money and could not get back with my own resources. I too have heard that could now have been made single entry which case opens a completely new dialogue on that visa alone.

From what I can gather, the gradual change has been that certainly in the countries neighboring Thailand, only single entry versions of these visas are being issued, and eventually it seems that the idea is that you can only obtain multiple entry non-immigrant visas in your home country.

This ties in with the above and I have yet to see an official statement regarding any change to these visas in the passport holder’s home country. What I have seen published for sure in both neighboring countries, other countries and the passport holders own country is that tourist visas are now restricted to two month and single entry where up to now six month with up to four (in some countries) entries has been easily available from many, but not all countries, around the area.

However if you have the necessary funds in a Thai bank (for marriage this is currently either 400,000 baht or an average monthly income of 40,000 baht, retirement is 800,000 or 65,000) then you can apply for the extension once you arrive in Thailand, and if you need to go out of the country you need to apply for a re-entry permit so you don't 'lose' any extension that has been granted. Once you have been granted an extension, from what I can gather it is constantly renewable as long as you still meet the requirements. As far as I am aware in the last 7 years (the extent of my knowledge!) there has never been a requirement to show funds to actually get the visa, only to get an extension to it. This may of course be different for different countries, but it is certainly the case for most European countries.

Now this is the area where much uncertainty already existed. No official publications were readily available at consulate web sites that went down to that level of detail. From my experience and from others both before and since I got mine, and all within the seven years you specify there WAS a need to supply bank details to obtain a visa base upon marriage or at least that is what I was told. The story was: I went into Hua Hin Immigration office who said that they could not issue a new visa there so I should go to Dan Sing Khon. At Dan sing Khon they told me that I must leave the country and obtain a visa elsewhere as I had not got a current valid visa and they were only able to issue renewals. (I was already expecting that and suspect that I had been misinformed at Hua Hin and was actually already on my way down to Malaysia and only stopped at Dan Sing Khon just in case I might get lucky or be able to grease a few palms and save myself a lot of expense and an unwanted trip.) Just to prove another example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing I was told to call in on my return to Hua Hin with my visa and they would "endorse" it. I traveled on down to Penang. applied for the visa through and agent and got a multiple entry 12 month visa which was what I expected. What I later noticed that there was no mention of marriage or Thai wife anywhere on the visa or passport unlike others I have seen. I stopped off at Dan Sing Khon on return and was asked why I came back I already had got a visa. I said because your colleague told me to. I was also told that I must leave the country every ninety days again unlike other visas that I had seen that had been issued well within the last seven years. Anyway that visa ran out early this year and I was not able to renew it as I was in hospital and therefore not able to put it to the test. I had had a couple of extensions during the middle portion of the visa which were both done at Hua Hin. I did however just in the nick of time manage to get to Ranong in time to get a 90 day stamp on the day the visa expired.

So if I am getting confused between visa and an extension it means that everything I have read and heard and my own personal experience must all be incorrect to this day and what I need is someone to explain what all the terms really mean. I will summarize my understanding of terminology so that you can correct me for the benefit of all:

Visa: An official endorsement in a passport authorizing the bearer to enter or leave, and travel in or through, a particular country or region. Nicked from the dictionary but common with my understanding and the topic of this thread.

Visa extension. My understanding is that in Thailand that is a misnomer in certain circumstances. It generally applies to a stamp that a local (or border) immigration official can give you to extend you stay when the 60/90 days has been reached on the red ink rubber entry stamp. The extension length and conditions depend on visa type and of course visa validity.

Visa renewal. After you have already had and used a 12 month visa and it is still current (i.e. before the expiry date on the visa, not the rubber stamp) you can in most circumstances renew it at any immigration office and I believe in some cases can change the type. Of course the fee has to be repaid for the further twelve months. It is on this topic that the most confusion seems to apply. I have never done it myself and have not seen any official statement. My information on this is word of mouth only and varies with each person you talk to including different immigration officers.

Visa Waiver: This is what you get when you enter the country on holiday for a short stay or for a business trip short stay. It does not matter where you came from, only the passport issuing nation is considered. If you are from one of the 40 odd acceptable nations you will (after completion of a small form on the aircraft usually) get a rubber stamp that allows you to remain in Thailand for 30 days. This is the one that has stirred up the most controversy in recent weeks although it has been on the cards for over two years that changes were to be made. This is another ruling that has been interpreted differently by different immigration offices. I think that Ranong however have got it right judging by what I have been told about notices in English displayed at their office. This change has been sufficiently documented by the Thai authorities and I would suggest that anyone planning to do a crossing via posts like Mae Sai and Mae Sot that they take a copy of the statement with them in both Thai and English.

So perhaps you can tell me where I have got it wrong as it will make it a lot easier for me and others that I speak to and read this forum understand.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Burger wrote:I think Wanderlust is correct about proof of funds when you apply for a 'long stay permit' within Thailand. As in this case you may not be leaving the country for upto 12 months (only reporting to immigration every 90 days) and therefore need to show you can support yourself/family.

If you obtain a non-imm 'O' for visit/support of family in your home country you are only permitted to stay here for 90 days, then you have to leave the country. In this case the Thai government website says you need to show 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family (but they never seem to ask to see it).

It's quite a useful website and may be of use to people: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php#Tourist

Burger
Yes that showing money business has been around for ages but I have never met one single person who has had to show it. I always take my ATM Card and if they want to see cash I can go to the ATM and get it (up to 40,000 baht anyway)

When you say a 'long stay permit' do you mean a period of more than twelve months.

I have been told by immigration that three consecutive 12 month non Os can get you permanent residency and that is what I was going for.

I will check out the sites you mention.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Guess
When you say a 'long stay permit' do you mean a period of more than twelve months.
It is for a period of 12 months, known as one-year long stay permit, which is an 'extension of stay' to your current visa.
I believe it is the same thing you refer to above as a 'visa renewal'. As you know with this you can stay inside Thailand for 12 months without having to leave, only do 90 day reporting.

Extract from government website I posted link to above:
3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA
3.6. EXTENSION OF STAY
Those qualified persons can obtain an additional one year stay permit counting from the date of entry in the Kingdom pertaining to the Office of the Immigration Bureau's regulations on extension of stay. The extension of stay is at the discretion of the Immigration officer

I have been told by immigration that three consecutive 12 month non Os can get you permanent residency and that is what I was going for.
Yes I think that's right, as long as they are not broken at all.
This website might help: http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/con_i ... st_pm.html

Cheers,

Burger
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Does anybody know what the opening days and times of the immigration offices in Hua Hin and Dan Sing Khon are currently.

OR

Does anybody have any contact details for either of the above. I am assuming Hua Hion to be closed over the weekend.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

For future reference the answer to my last question is that both the Sing Korn offices. (Dan Sing Korn and Hua Hin) are only open 9:AM until 3:30PM Monday to Friday.

Anyway I have been with them for an hour or so today (about 50 minutes more than necessary) and managed to ask a few questions and got some answers verbally but I would not stake my life on them. It seems they will answer your question to the best of their knowledge but will only check the latest manual when they actually have to do it.

The questions I asked are some of those that have been put to me over the last two weeks. They were:

Q....Is their a limit on tourist visa appications in one year or can somebody keep getting repeat visas ad infinitum.
A....There is no limit. you can get one use it, exit the country and get another and re-enter.

Q.....Can the tourist visa get an extension in Hua Hin.
A.... Yes 28 days th first time and then another seven after that.

Q....What does a businessman do who travels to Thailand for a few days every month and has always used the thirty days visa waiver. Presumably he can not do that any more now after the third trip.
A... It is correct he cannot do that anymore he has to get a business visa that caters for him. The best place to get it is in the passport holders home country.

As far as the tourist vis is concerned that is good news for all those who have been doing the 30 day visa waived repeats. He can now do that three times if he wishes and then the next time go to Penang and get a Tourist Visa. The worst case will be a two month single entry visa that has been mentione many times. With that visa it will be stamped USED the first time ytou enter Thailand and a 60 day stamp will be put in the passport on the adjacent page to the visa. After 60 days ther should be a day or two left of validation left on the visa. You then get a 30 day extension which can be extende by seven more days so that the dates can be synchronised with opening times of Penang Consulate. You then get another tourist visa and go through the loop again.

Costwise it should not be much more expensive than the 30 day crossing of a year period as every three months you are doing one trip to Penang instead of three to Victoria Point.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi everyone. I live here on a one year visa which I get because I'm married to a Thai and I have to leave the country every 90 days. This law in itself makes no sense to me but who am I to argue. Anyway, due to circumstances I was having to do the visa run for a while and having had three such stamps I was worried that I would be refused entry on my last run. At Ranong they were friendly as usual but did confirm that I can only do two more runs. This confirms that the copuntdown only started from October the 1st.
It is as others have said, a blind sweeping regulation with no respect or regard given to those whos lives could be affected. If I were in a position where I would have to continue doing the runs I would have to leave the country shortly and the authorities would not even take into consideration that I have a wife and a 16 month old child with another on the way. With this in mind I ask myself if the authorities are that cold hearted that they would gladly see an expectant mother with a child be seperated from her husband and the child from her father and that because of this new regulation. My answer to that question is yes. I have been here long enouh to know that the chap behind the desk does not think about such things, he just carries out his duties. Having said all this, I worked offshore in the UK for nearly ten years and as an offshore worker I was allowed to remain in the UK, obtaining a one year visa (250.00) each year, providing I had proof of offshore employment. Had I not been employed, I would have received a six month visa which could be extended if I was able to provide proof that I had adequate funds to support myself. My point is that every country has visa laws and us that are aliens to that country are at their mercy. It took three attempts and two years before my Thai wife was granted a six month holiday visa to join me in the UK so who knows, perhaps the Thais look at this as well and maybe they think its payback time.
Anyway, I'm not taking the Thai side as I agree fully with the comments on this thread and if I was in a different situation then I know what I would be doing........I would be looking towards, Malaysia or Cambodia where we are still welcome. Even Burma is starting to catch up with Thailand as far as letting us stay - afterall your $10 visa gets you a 14 day visa now and it certainly is cheap across there.

Good luck guys, and lets all hope this will blow over.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

One other thing...............
I have read that if you overstay your visa by only one day then you are not required to pay the fine. How come is it then that on two such occasions I was required to pay my fine.

As always in the LOS, everyone in authority has their own interpretation of the law.
Thailand - Disney World for adults but I still love it here
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Takiap wrote:One other thing...............
I have read that if you overstay your visa by only one day then you are not required to pay the fine. How come is it then that on two such occasions I was required to pay my fine.

As always in the LOS, everyone in authority has their own interpretation of the law.
To my knowledge, you have to pay for all overstays - whether it's 1 day or (gulp!) 100 days...
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
ricardo
Specialist
Specialist

Post by ricardo »

There used to be 1 days grace on overstay if you left the country from an international airport.

But I think you are now charged even if you are only 1 day over.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The immigration laws regarding marriage or taking care of a Thai child are pretty clear cut.
Assuming you're legal - and I don't mean some temple wedding, I mean the proper paperwork from the Amphur Office - then you're halfway there.
Visa wise, it seems clear to me.
1. Obtain a Non O, on the basis of marriage. You'll need the marriage certificate, a copy of your wife's ID card and you. This can be obtained, for one entry of 90 days in neighbouring countries.
2. A multiple entry is difficult to get anywhere other than your home country - just one entry with those "qualifications". 90 days.
3. Within the last 30 days of your entry, apply within Thailand for a year's extension to that original visa.
4. Financial requirements are 40k per month income. It dosn't matter how that's addded up now - ie, your wife could be earning 30k and paying tax and you 10k. Whatever, as long as it's 40k. The 400k in the bank for the year is no longer acceptable, unless you have had one of these visas before. Grandfathered in.
5. That's about it, people. Thailand seems to be making sure that "us husbands" do actually take care of our wives - which isn't a bad thing.
6. As long as you can prove the income above, you'll get a year's extension and only have to report to imm every 90 days - not leave the country on a visa run.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Takiap wrote:One other thing...............

If you overstay by one day and don't make it to the border, or airport, you're illegal and face IDC and deportation.
Simple as that.