HUA HIN HOOKERS

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

HUA HIN HOOKERS

Post by Terry »

OK

Mods - you can move this to SPORT if you think appropriate.

I think it's time for Hua Hin to form an anglers or fishing club. :mrgreen:

After all - the golfers have been at it for years. :wink:

Suggesting the name of HUA HIN HOOKERS - why not? :thumb:

My particular interest is in freshwater / lake fishing (You'd never guess eh?)

But - I'm sure that there is sufficient interest out there for freshwater / sea angling matches both locally and across Thailand.

So if anyone is interested in furthering this idea then feel free to post here, p.m. me or just give me a call as below.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Terry,

FYI, John Wilson is coming over in November to make one of his TV programs.
It's being filmed in Ratchaburi.
His brother lives quite near to you.

Burger
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

I am defiantly up for joining a fishing club and so are my two friends. I am an avid Spear fisher, both fresh and salt water, and I do both air assisted and free dive spearing. I also enjoy saltwater rod and line very much, I have not been freshwater fishing for years but I would like to give it a go with someone who knows a good spot or two.
Are any of you spearos????
:cheers:
Craig
085-222-8986
When a bird is tired it stops flying,
When a Horse is Tired it stops running,
When a man is tired he says 'I understand'
Ancient Japanese proverb
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not sure how you can be an avid scuba diver and spear fisher, I guess its a bit like being an ornithologist that goes game shooting at the weekends.

I tried it once on the great barrier reef, got a nice rock cod but were surrounded by sharks within a minute or so ... never again!

Welcome to HHAD by the way.

:cheers:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

Hi Buksida,
I am a dive master and love SCUBA I only shoot Pelagics and not reef fish unless it is not going to make an impact on the reef. I have been spearing since I was about ten years old and if it is done with respect for the ocean then recreational divers will not notice the difference.
Good thing is there's not many sharks at Hua Hin, bad thing is there's not many fish either.
Craig :cheers:
Ancient Japanese proverb
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hi Craig, I'm over near Pattaya, not HH. Interesting what you say as I believe the entire Gulf is fished out, at least within about 10 miles of shore, except for squid. On the few fishing excursions I go on, we catch nothing but small red snapper (I think, they look like it) which the captian and wife promptly cook up for lunch on the boat. The times I've tried to throw them back, I was almost attacked. No idea about juvenile fish growing into big fish I guess.

Many times these fishing boats stop over top of a crater or deep pool and the captain always warns not to jump in and go for a swim. They all say that these pools, even close to shore between Koh Larn and Pattaya, have hammerheads in them. I've only seen one article where a large hammerhead was caught on tackle over here so don't know how common they are.

On the good side, every week more or less, the local paper has photos from fishing clubs who go out 10-15 miles and catch anything from barracuda to sword fish and some very big 'others'.

So, the fish appear to be there, just shy to come close to the beer bars I guess/ :shock: :cheers: Pete
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

Hi Pete,
Do you know Andy from Sea-duction? We do air assisted spear fishing regularly on the Hardeep, and at Japanese harbour. I have got a few fair sized fish. One 10 pound parrot fish, one sweetlips of equal size and a marbled stingray that was about 60 pounds. My gun misbehaved when I took a shot at a giant cuda last month, I got a small 2 kilo yellow tail cuda instead. :cry:
If you like to do fishing or even better spearing then I will be in Pattaya next weekend, you are welcome to join us for a day of fish killery.
With regards to hammerheads, I cant confirm that. There are Tiger sharks in Samisan hole, good tech-dive site. We caught one on rod and line, have pics for proof too, she was about 120 pounds. :thumb:

www.pattayafishing.com, tell him Craig sent you to get a good price, he is as tight as a ticks arse but prices are reasonable from the start really.
Ancient Japanese proverb
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks for the invite, Craig. Unfortunately you would probably see me sink out of sight never to be seen again...LOL. I'm getting a little too far up the age ladder for that stuff anymore. Pattaya fishing noted. I've never used them but will check it out the next time a group of us wants to go out. :cheers: Pete
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Have had a few enquiries about getting a Fishing club started.

Any more out there in and around Hua Hin?

Will set a date and venue for a meet up if we get a few more.
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

I have 3 friends that are ready to join and I am sure another few when i see them. I think you will be suprised at te ammount of people here that are into fishing, I was anyway!
Being here away from the hassle of the city, it is great, I am going fishing tonight with some friends, on a thai fishing boat, I will let you know how it goes. :cheers:
BTW how many people do you need to open a club?
Ancient Japanese proverb
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

NOT EVEN A SQUID

Post by Craig »

:shock: :| :oops: :( :cry: :cuss:
WHAT A WASTE OF TIME, NOT EVEN A SQUID. :cuss:
The Thai guide said he had everything ready, he said we would have fun, he said we would catch fish and he said 'let there be squid' and squid there were not.
After 2 hours fishing for bait, the guide didn't buy any in case we couldn't catch squid, we had to flag down a squid bout and swap a kilo of squid for a bottle of Singha. Seemed like a good deal considering the only bait we had were some 3" garfish that I caught using a net over the side of the boat. It didn't make much difference though we were out till past one in the morning and not even a bite! Zero, what a first fishing experience at HuaHin.
:guns: :cry:
Ancient Japanese proverb
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Craig

Sorry to hear of your first sea fishing experience in Hua Hin - but then ANY fishing can have it's off days.

Come over to my place - at least we can discuss the options over a beer or three :cheers:

We had a good day yesterday - a party of 9 guys with wives / girlfriends.

Caught plenty of fish, had a good bbq and consumed a fridge full of beer.

Much better option

:thumb:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Craig

Just another thought.

I was out squid fishing last Friday night on the Peacock with Cap'n Barry of Mermaid Cruises.

It was not a good night for squid - but we still caught plenty of other fish - enough to bbq anyway.

The thing is - blaming the fishing guide for no fish is almost the same as blaming the tour guide for the bad weather.

If you're on a decent boat with a pro crew who know what they are doing then your chances should be better.
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

Hi Terry,

I agree with what you say about blaming the guide, I was so upset, i took 4 friends out and spirits were high. I never said anything to the guide though, like you said it's not his fault.

Same happened last night i went out 'on the pull' witha mate at the hilton and nothing, not even a nibble :mrgreen:

I would like to stop by your place and see you, maybe do a spot of fishing??
Ancient Japanese proverb
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I went out a couple of times a few years ago. I'd reckon we were about 1-1.5km off-shore and down towards Kao Takieb. Some of us caught decent fish, about 2kls. We ate what we caught and gave the rest away.
Other than the above, it was nothing other than stingrays which we couldn't pull up on our tackle.
I'm sure there's more out there, but closer into shore, it's fished out. Terry and Barry would know more.