Hero for the poor is worth 180 million pounds

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Hero for the poor is worth 180 million pounds

Post by buksida »

Two rather amusing articles from the Nation today:

New comic portrays former PM as hero of the poor, but sales fall flat

Like it or not, a comic book with ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra as a hero for the poor is hitting bookshelves across the country.

In the 212-page comic, "Thaksin's Life", ends with the clear hope that the former premier will return one day to resume his unfinished mission - to help the poor.

The book is sold for Bt150. Some 5,000 copies have been printed, but sales to date have been rather flat.

"It has been on sale for days, but its response is not so good," comic-book author Posatorn Butr-anan said.

Full Story

Total assets of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family when he finished his first term in 2005 was Bt12.68 billion and debts of Bt110 million.

The figures was revealed by National Counter Corruption Commission on Friday. Prime minister and his cabinet members as well as their families were required by laws to declare their assets.

According to Thaksin's assets list submitted to the NCCC, Thaksin has Bt506 million, his wife, Khunying Pojamarn, Bt8.91 billion and his daughter, Paethongtarn Bt3.26 billion, when Thaksin finished his first term on March 14, 2005.

The laws require children of prime minister and ministers who are under 20 to declare their assets.

NCCC reported total assets of Thaksin and family as of March 14, 2006 increased to Bt12.75 billion. Thaksin owns Bt512 million, Pojamarn Bt8.99 billion and Paethongtarn Bt3.24 billion.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Was looking at that earlier and I noted that some of the ex-Cabinet ministers had increased their wealth substantially during their tenure as well. Some frightenly so.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I noticed in yesterdays Bangkok Post that Khunying Pojamarn, Mr. T's wife has returned to Thailand, for what purpose it did not say.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

STEVE G wrote:I noticed in yesterdays Bangkok Post that Khunying Pojamarn, Mr. T's wife has returned to Thailand, for what purpose it did not say.
Among other things, to file her husband's asset etc forms with the NCCC. Quite evidently, he might have a few problems coming back personally to do so and I've heard it's illegal to send them internationally by post - bit like us sending passports (that bit was tongue in cheek, but it's what the git deserves). He is also said to be asking the Brit government for a long stay visa - Make him return to his home country to apply. C'mon Squarehead, why don't you do exactly as you have made so many of us here in Thailand do?
Apparantly, the missus has also come back for beauty treatment at a spa in BKK. Well, excuse me, but I'd be keeping a watchful eye on the old dragon if I were the authorities.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

lomuamart wrote: Apparantly, the missus has also come back for beauty treatment at a spa in BKK.
That's just way too late!!!
It won't help a bit.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Norseman wrote:
lomuamart wrote: Apparantly, the missus has also come back for beauty treatment at a spa in BKK.
It won't help a bit.
You're right and it's not just because she is who she is. I look at that woman and cringe out of fear. I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her. Many articles written about how her husband often took her advise about business and government matters. There is one more snake in the grass back here in Thailand tonight! :guns: Pete
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Norseman wrote:
It won't help a bit.
Bloody hell! That's what I call way too much money. Flying with 130kg of luggage from London To Bangkok for a beauty treatment??! Sorry, forgot UK is a third world country with no spas or beauticians! :shock:
Wonder if the poor that Mr T is giving his all (except his money, funnily :? ) to help, know of his wife's thriftiness? :roll:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Farang
Ace
Ace

Thailand Detox

Post by Farang »

Charity, much as eradication of poverty, begins at home. Home in this context is understood in it's
widest interpretation, and, consequently, also entails the party headquarters.

TRT* has splendidly eradicated poverty among the party elite - "home" - even to the extent
of Toxins driver being one of the richest men in Thailand. Not to mention Mrs. Toxins maid.

Attaboy!

*TRT a.k.a. Toxin Robs Thailand
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

The malignant dwarf pocketed billions upon billions from his Temasek deal and didn't pay a satang in tax.
His overwhelming greed trumped his considerable reptilian intelligence and he now has his reward.
Had he donated or paid just 20 million tax (.000253%!) out of the 79 billion profit to build some clinics or schools he would have been a hero and won elections until he died.
But his greed was so gross that even the amazingly tolerant Thai people were disgusted. Jai dum. :twisted:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

johnnyk wrote:The malignant dwarf pocketed billions upon billions from his Temasek deal and didn't pay a satang in tax.
His overwhelming greed trumped his considerable reptilian intelligence and he now has his reward.
Had he donated or paid just 20 million tax (.000253%!) out of the 79 billion profit to build some clinics or schools he would have been a hero and won elections until he died.
But his greed was so gross that even the amazingly tolerant Thai people were disgusted. Jai dum. :twisted:
Jai dam - well said.