Visa run this this week?

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

old names for old attitudes.

Post by vincent chang »

I think Thailand should remain Thailand and not go back to the old name of Siam. Also Myanmar has the right to try to shape a new identity that is apart from its colonial past. It might be nice for some people to return to the days of french and british colonialism, but I am sure the people of the country prefer to run their own affairs without foreign interference. I am sure there are those who would like to return to the 1930s or before when a few imperial powers ran the whole world, but fortunately we live in a more enlightened age now.
lomuamart

Re: old names for old attitudes.

Post by lomuamart »

vincent chang wrote:I think Thailand should remain Thailand and not go back to the old name of Siam. Also Myanmar has the right to try to shape a new identity that is apart from its colonial past. It might be nice for some people to return to the days of french and british colonialism, but I am sure the people of the country prefer to run their own affairs without foreign interference. I am sure there are those who would like to return to the 1930s or before when a few imperial powers ran the whole world, but fortunately we live in a more enlightened age now.
I'm sure all the forced labour and those in detention centres in the wonderfully democratic country of Myanmar would agree with you :shock:
vincent chang
Banned
Banned

all those in detention camps.

Post by vincent chang »

Since Myanmar is a former British Colony, I am sure the Good People of Britain would be happy to grant political asylum to all the oppressed people of that country looking to get out. My mother had the privelige of being born and raised in the then British colony of South Africa, lived under apartheid rule, etc, but luckily was able to escape to America. That was in the 1950s, everything is changed for the better now under self governance. Democratic rule will take a long time to achieve, Even here in Thailand it seems to be a far away idea.