Bomb attack in Bangkok

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

'
Who are the bombers? Elementary, my dear Watson. They are Bangkokians;
they did not get lost and they did not have to escape.

Another sharp military mind.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dawn wrote:
The year is only a few hours old, and already we have a contender for "most stupid comment made by a politician!"
Dawn, he might have competition:

With an eye on Thailand's lucrative tourist trade, which lures around 12 million visitors each year, Achiravit said his men would ensure the streets are safe.

"We are the police. We know who is good or bad by looking," he said.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

On the subject of who's responsible for these bombs, just to state that I haven't spoken to a single Thai yet who thinks that the bombs are the result of muslim extremists. Each one considers the most likely culprits to be 'factions' within the military and police who have lost out as a result of the recent change in government. Even my TRT voting Sino-Thai neighbours voiced this opinion. As they pointed out to me, if the intention was to specifically attack the tourism sector then the bombs would have been planted at the airport, Patpong, Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy etc. for maximum destructive effect and international news coverage. As it is, one day on the Bangkok bombings are already way down the list of headlines outside of Thailand.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Just ask guess that pureile tosser has named TRT as the ONLY suspect arent we lucky to have such a rapier mind at our disposal
whata a tosser it could be any bugger jeez im getting too old for this i have met this guy he wasted his life he believes what officals tell him and quotes his degree what a waste of paper
As for factions within the authorities being responsible mr guess did not even mention them in his post i did and still i put that lower than a double bluff by TRT and that below the opposition however i cannot rule out any of the scenarios if i could i could have solved N ireland decades before now
If we allow wankers with agendas to rule our thinking (like guess) trust me we will be the losers
I am openenminded and will remain so no bugger knows for sure and it will be spun no matter what the truth is
Speaking from hard experience NI IRA UVF 20 yars experience
sorry to piss on anyones parade but taking sides is a loser position full stop

And finally for this post which direction does anyone think the thai baht is gonna go and who will benefit ( the railway track thais ?????) i dont friggin think so
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

sargeant wrote:since when has ABC Australian Broadcasting Corporation been Satans TV Station

The head of ABC is Donald McDonald (and no he is not related to Ronald). His brother Bruce McDonald was briefly Leader of the opposition of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly before losing his seat in 1981. The McDonalds are personal friends of Prime Minister John Howard and his wife. In case anybody has forgotten It John Howard, George W. Bush and Tony Blair who the key activists of the unsanctioned invasion of Iraq. I asked already asked in the past on another thread who is really in control of the axis powers and the reply was an anagram of Santa. I can only see that as being Satan. QED.

I have no doubt that what you have reported seeing on ABC was true. I have just suggested that it should not be taken as sincere.

:rasta: :rasta: :rasta:

It Demonstrates your one tracked bias from the get go
Quote only 2 groups can gain from this TRT and muslim fundementalists unquote what about the opposition or the present authorities not a mention from you it shows you to be pretty Gullible at best downright stupid to raving lunatic at worst are you so twitter and bisted about TRT you cannot see any other scenarios let alone anylise them
I on the other hand come from the i am NOT prepared to write anything off and have given all scenarios
you delete the south completely and swallow the police statement whole however I agree only because they would probably have claimed it but equally and unlike you i do consider things it could be that as falangs have been injured they have considered that is publicity one step to far for them and are staying quiet
You then say as the muslims are eliminated that only leaves one option for you, yes It could be a double bluff by TRT as stated by me umwah in 2 previous posts I still leave it as a high possibility
Yet you post it as a cast iron certainty how stupid

Read again what I write. That was that only two obvious candidates spring to mind. Later I wrote "If you eliminate all possibilities then no matter how unbelievable the remainder is, it must be the truth. I do appreciate at this stage that many options will have to be considered in the future when more facts become available." Seems like you did read that bit.

You tell rider to look back at the 2 days before the coup, me to what i remember was the OPPOSITION were gonna have yet another rally after many (in spite of the Kings request not to) and TRT were coming for the FIRST time to meet it the coup was to stop a blood bath correctly
So yes it probably was the opposition who you in all your worldly terrorist experince dont mention let alone anylise that did it but i am not putting it forward as a cast iron certainty

I too am not putting forward anything as a cast iron certainty. Had Yai and BKK yesterday could easily have been the work of the opposition. Bit strange that they should suddenly change MO for one day, revert back their year old tactics and then revert to violence for another day. Of course I am not discounting the fact that both attacks were the work of a breakaway group but if they were it would be totally in misalignment with the current peaceful opposition which has enjoyed some degree of success so far.

As for your writing off the authorities it shows your ignorance of reality they have been warning and saying they have information for months yet 9 bombs got laid 8 went of the police got one it could be incompetence it could be they let it happen it could be they did it themselves i hope its the first it is less likley for the second 2 but i dont write them out either

I have not written off the authorities on this topic anyway. Maybe it was written in the content of one of the web sites that I pointed to but not by me.

You then dissapear into your deranged Thaksinaphobic rectum this is the start of the third world war what are you smoking it could be any of the protaganists but it sure as hell aint the start of anything more than problems for thailand and its lovely peoples
you should send your degree back its totally useless as an unbiased analysing tool
I made a suggestion in reply to another post about the shift of world power. The World War Three scenario is written by a journalist on the web site that I pointed at. I did not write it. I really don't know what you are trying to say in that last paragraph.

The main purpose of my post was to stimulate debate and give my opinion given the little facts that are available at the current time. My post consists only of opinion and observations along with two pointers to journalistic articles written by others.

We all get sources of information and see things with our own eyes. If the sources of information do not tally then a judgment must be made. It looks like your sources are not the same as mine with regards the situation regarding Hat Yai. What was reported by the media and by personal acquaintances ties up with the article that I pointed to.

I will stress the point again. I did not write either of the articles.

So stick that in yer 'ookah and puff away :rasta: :rasta: :rasta:
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Looking at the media reports on this, I notice that his political opponents are wasting no time in blaming Thaksin's friends.

Given the timing though, could this be the work of traditionalists who are a bit hacked off by the invasion of the western New Year into the Thai calendar?

The notion of a Radical Buddhist is almost a contradiction in terms, but if this is the case, the farang community needs to take notice...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

DawnHHDRC wrote:
STEVE G wrote:
"If southerners came up here to Bangkok they would get lost and wouldn't have been able to escape," said Sonthi.
The year is only a few hours old, and already we have a contender for "most stupid comment made by a politician!" :roll:

I have no idea who is responsible; all contenders seem equally likely/unlikely. But that comment is unbelievably puerile!
Yes unbelievable, but as always I like to give benefit of doubt and wonder if could be something has has changed meaning in translation. It would be funny if said in jest and would go down well as a joke with Southerners.

I do not see what has brought on the misrepresentations, misquotations and misunderstandings by our lovable NCO. "If I was a betting man" then my money would go on a mixture of gossip mongering, my Avatar and the GEM rearing its head.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

sargeant wrote: What i will say as a Royal engineer explosives man 22 years 7 bombs all successfull takes some fair degree of training this attack has been in the oven for a fair while we can therefore expect more of them.
You'll have to explain this one. This was my initial reaction but after speaking to other and thinking about it I realized that it does not require as much planning as I first thought. Mobile phones and timers are readily available in Thailand. Explosives and detonators are easily available in Myanmar and Cambodia (apparently) according to a local expert. The timings were spasmodic so all that would be needed was for sleepers to be awakened and a rough attack time given. Also it was reported in the press that the bomb in Sapan Kwai was actually a grenade thrown from a footbridge at a police box which it missed.

Before you jump in on the defensive, I am just asking a question here not trying to contradict what you say. To summarize:

You say it must of taken a fair degree of planning.
My first re-action tallied with your statement.

Almost everybody I have spoken to since has said that it required little planning and that the bombs could be procured easily.

Anyway the debate regarding the amount of planning required hardly narrows down the suspect list. A bunch of likely lads from Petburi or Nakon Si could have done it if they had the motivation to do so.

The motivations and benefits need to be considered. I still maintain that the greatest beneficiaries would be the TRT although that in itself does not conclusively prove anything.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is another theory floating around on some Thai news sites that this attack could have been instigated by groups who gained from the last administration, and now they are getting worried by ongoing corruption investigations they are trying to create instability as a pretext for a return to the old order.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

sargeant wrote:Just ask guess that pureile tosser has named TRT as the ONLY suspect arent we lucky to have such a rapier mind at our disposal
whata a tosser it could be any bugger jeez im getting too old for this i have met this guy he wasted his life he believes what officals tell him and quotes his degree what a waste of paper
As for factions within the authorities being responsible mr guess did not even mention them in his post i did and still i put that lower than a double bluff by TRT and that below the opposition however i cannot rule out any of the scenarios if i could i could have solved N ireland decades before now
If we allow wankers with agendas to rule our thinking (like guess) trust me we will be the losers
I am openenminded and will remain so no bugger knows for sure and it will be spun no matter what the truth is
Speaking from hard experience NI IRA UVF 20 yars experience
sorry to piss on anyones parade but taking sides is a loser position full stop

And finally for this post which direction does anyone think the thai baht is gonna go and who will benefit ( the railway track thais ?????) i dont friggin think so
Sargeant,

Please read the terms & conditions, particularly no.4 and no.12. Please make your points without flaming (personal attacks on) other members. Thank you.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

sargeant wrote:And finally for this post which direction does anyone think the thai baht is gonna go and who will benefit ( the railway track thais ?????) i dont friggin think so
Sargeant,

The common situation for farang and the more wealthy Thais regards which direction the Baht will go shouldn't change much.

The Thai Baht is deposited electronically into the individuals bank account and then extracted using an ATM card. The cash then goes to pay for beer, Bar Girls, the odd bowl of noodles, the landlord and the bank that loaned you the money to get your new truck and motorcycle.

Some of the beer money goes back to the government to finance their requirements. Th Bar Girl will spend the majority of her share on phone cards to phone her family to say that she has earned no money this and they will have to wait until next week for their fresh supply of Chang and Lao Cow vouchers. Any remaining credit is used to call their mates to find of there are any new dodges known to extract more money from their customers. So ina nut shell it goes back to Thaksin owned businesses.

The odd bowl of noodles just keeps the vendor going with his own noodles free and food for his family. These vendors are the unsung heroes of Thailand.

The landlords share is a portion of the return in his investment and will get paid back to the bank who lent it them and make huge profits. The profits go to employees, to the government and some goes to the fat cat senior board members and some to share holders. Most of it goes back into the economic whirlpool.

So that is where the Baht is going as it always has done. Investment in the future like pension schemes, assurance policies and property purchases seem to have escaped the Thai/Thais and left it to the Chinese Thai and Nepalese passport holding Indian entrepreneurs.

If you are referring to the value of th Baht against other foreign currencies then it is more dependent on its value against the US Dollar, the Euro and the US dollar then the current rate is good meaning that foreign investment is still attractive to the Europeans and the British, Swedes and Irish but not do good for trading with the US. The differences are cause by the fluctuation of the aforementioned currencies and have no influence yet on the Baht which remaining resilient.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Dawn :oops: Rollocking justified rollocking accepted apologies offered :oops:

I will endeavour to overcome my medical condition and maintain decorum in the future by not overreacting and also by raising my BS threshold :D :D :D
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Guess apology offered

Just a small point unless i am mistaken the TRT strongholds are still under marshall law. The present authorities stated that their suspects were under surveilence these 2 facts dont write the TRT out by any means but it does write the opposition and the authorities in

As for making a bomb the putting together is very easy someone as skillfull as you at surfing the web could find a site somewhere that will give you chapter and verse how to assemble one in a very short time and all the parts except one are readily available it is getting the detonators that is difficult and it is to me the fact that 8 exploded that says they were high grade industrial detonators that were used agreed in this part of the world it is easier than in the west to get them but it still is not easy without leaving a trail of sorts which is why i deduce that this attack had been in the oven for some time. They can be made but homemades are extremely unreliable
Luckily the police got one they will be able to glean a mountain of information from that a bomb maker always leaves his signature
Thanks for the grenade info i havent got my 2 papers yet but i will have to thunk about that a bit i find it puzzling
As for who benefits TRT only benefit if they can convince the public it was the opposition or that they are being falsely accused not easy when the media here are stacked up against them ie a double bluff
The first result is MrT stays out of sight out of mind he wont come back for a while now for sure.Who benefits from that the opposition or the present authorities no one else I will however agree with you the statement his lawyer made smelt to me when i heard it he said MrT would return in Jan to defend himself against all charges unless i have missed something as far as i know nil zero zilch charges have been laid puzzling
In a nutshell my overreaction last night comes from your statemen{only 2 obvious candidates spring to mind } in my previous posts i gave 5 candidates and didnt write any of them out
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As far as I'm aware, no-one has "claimed" responsibilty yet.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

STEVE G wrote:There is another theory floating around on some Thai news sites that this attack could have been instigated by groups who gained from the last administration, and now they are getting worried by ongoing corruption investigations they are trying to create instability as a pretext for a return to the old order.
That theory makes a lot of sense and has echoes of the anti drug campaign four years ago with many corrupt officials killing their peers to avoid prosecution themselves.