--Accommodation & Things----some not so good!! Part 1

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
marsh
Rookie
Rookie

--Accommodation & Things----some not so good!! Part 1

Post by marsh »

Hi There,

I was in Hua Hin recently and would like to give my opinion on
a few things there.

Accomodation: The photos shown on some of the places are a bit
out of date and do not give a true likeness, check
the "Little Danish Guesthouse" actuals -----mmmm!!

"Noodles Guesthouse" rooms looked clean and well
presented

"All Seasons" Guesthouse/Hotel had good sized rooms
and was also clean.

Araya Residence" looked clean and tidy

"Jings Guesthouse" was fully booked that should tell
you something! --it looked good too.

"Fresh Inn Hotel" at 1800 baht was worth it

Doghouse" &"Top Marks" is a second choice only
due to location.

"Catwomen Guesthouse", look at the position of the
Electric water heater on their web page-- dodgy--
it should be moved higher or outwith the bath area.

"Ecosse Guesthouse" I sent them two emails on
availabe rooms -still waiting a reply, perhaps their
or my system was down!!

-------------------Above is only my opinion------I will now wait for the
"Flack" comming !!

Regards Marshy
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

look at the position of the Electric water heater on their web page-- dodgy-- it should be moved higher or outwith the bath area
Marshy,
Why don't you tell us about some of your more positive experiences in Hua Hin, you know, the things that filled you with joy and happiness.
The dimension between the centre line of the hot and cold water taps in a guesthouse bathroom, we can probably live without.

Burger
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I'm sorry, marsh, I'm confused. Did you actually stay at all of these establishments, or are you just commenting on their websites/brochures?
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
marsh
Rookie
Rookie

Electrics and Centre Lines

Post by marsh »

Hello again,

Time to get your head out of the WC bowl ---Burger--
A kid of 11 or so died in Patong only a few weeks ago, he was just
putting his Game Boy socket in!! When you get Electrocuted-----you
do NOT recover !!

Dawn HHDRC I visited all (and more) of the places mentioned after
getting a bum deal on the first place stayed.

Hey, I am not knocking Hua Hin I am only giving you
my-----FEED BACK-----you should use it!!

You take care now ---Ya Hear!! Ya All!!----Love it!!

Marshyxx
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I think that if you are going to judge Asian guest houses on their adherence to building codes, you should perhaps prepare yourself for some disapointment.
I think a useful exercise would be to spend a night on Khao Sahn Road for less than a 1000Bt first, and then anywhere you stayed in Hua Hin would be palatial by comparison, and you would be able to get out of bed without banging your head on the water heater!
marsh
Rookie
Rookie

Re Accomodation --Good & bad-Continued

Post by marsh »

Hi Ya,

I stayed in this place (that I won't mention) there was no Water Seal
on the floor drain outlet or the W.Basin outlet in the toilet, You don't
need to be a qualified anybody to know that with out these basics,
-------------Sewer smells just back right up to your room-----------

The whole toilet and adjacent bedroom stank, the place was run by
an expatriate, it did'ent stop him taking 1200bhat per night "Its high
season you see"-----Right!

No one should be expected to check on this--this is Basic Stuff !!
---And no way will Ole Grannie Brown spot this !!---------

The lesson is-----Check out your rooms before paying!!

Marshy xx
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Marshy,

Tell us about the highlight of your trip, oh go on, please, you must have had some kind of enlightening experience ?? This is Thailand after all.

No more quotes from the 'Lonely Planet Guide to Bathroom Basics' pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssse.

Burger
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Time to get your head out of the WC bowl ---Burger--
Burger, while you're down there, could you check if the U-bend is sealed!
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

LOL.

Daddy, Daddy can we go to the beach now please ?
Not yet kids I'll just be another 6 hours checking whether this bathroom meets ISO 9000 standards.
But Daddy .......Hold on a cotton picking minute, think I've found an alien hair in the shower gulley, gonna need a sample off you all before we go anywhere.

Burger
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

C'mon All!

Give the guy a break!

He has a point you know!

If people complain about obvious sub-standard conditions (if you consider sewers smells and electrical risks standard, then you've been here too long!), then the possibility exists that things improve.

Especially if the proprietors are using this forum and see the feed back.

Or, do you all just wish to simply apply 'Mei Pen Rai'

So let the guy make a point, and if you all have something constructive to add then do so.

Isn't this the reason for forums to exist?

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Precisely!
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Re: Re Accomodation --Good & bad-Continued

Post by DawnHRD »

marsh wrote:
The lesson is-----Check out your rooms before paying!!
That is a good point, that maybe all visitors would find advisable. Ask to see your room & have a good look at it before you hand over any money, or even decide to stay. Of course, not all problems will be identifiable by a preliminary look around, but any obvious dangers or bad smells etc will be.
One of my main things is to go straight to the window of any place I'm staying in. I look to see if there are any easy ways to get into my room from outside (accessible balcony, sturdy drainpipes, adjoining roof from nearby building etc). If there are, I won't stay there.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

DawnHHDRC wrote:One of my main things is to go straight to the window of any place I'm staying in. I look to see if there are any easy ways to get into my room from outside (accessible balcony, sturdy drainpipes, adjoining roof from nearby building etc). If there are, I won't stay there.
That's fair enough Dawn, as your main concern is obviously security, but for some people they might see those things and take the room because there is an easy escape route in case of fire!

@Winkie - I think the point Burger et al were making, in their humorous way, was that marshy appears somewhat obsessed with certain aspects of the accommodation, which although valid concerns are something that are so common across Asia that they are normally not used as the main reasons for staying somewhere or not. Bad smells come with the country, whether it is from the drains, the guy selling squid, tuk tuks or whatever, and if they are something you cannot abide then you are probably travelling in the wrong country/region. The same goes for electrical safety and buildng regulations - it is just something you have to live with most of the time, which is not the same as condoning it.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Are you all sure Marshy is a Guy?

i think you may find a clue in the email address
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Wanderlust wrote:Bad smells come with the country, whether it is from the drains, the guy selling squid, tuk tuks or whatever, and if they are something you cannot abide then you are probably travelling in the wrong country/region. The same goes for electrical safety and buildng regulations - it is just something you have to live with most of the time, which is not the same as condoning it.
I think this comes quite close to condoning them.

If you choose to ignore them, Mei Pen Rai, there they stay!

Talk about it, advise others (through a forum perhaps).

Yes, this country is not upto the standards of some, but if YOU don't care, who will?

I've lived here for 7 years. I keep the smells outside my home or hotel room. I insist on certain electrical standards inside my homes here in Thailand (which are much below the UK, but much above the Thai standard). Admittedly, its not so easy to apply these stadards to hotels, espcially of the 'budget' variety.

But.... like I said, maybe, the farang proprietor will see and take note of the criticism, and address those issues so that the next posting by a visitor will compliment the establishment on the stardards of electrical fittings.

With regard to your comment that these conditions are 'so common across Asia', Yes and No, only in the Countries that permit them. Singapore you would not see these, Japan neither, Taiwan to a lessor extent, same South Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia.

I still think that Marshy has a valid point, worthy of airing on this forum. Those that choose to 'only' accept those conditions, and never to 'challenge' them, well, I pity them - but I do hope that they do not get electrocuted trying to shower the 'room smell' off of themsleves!

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....