"KFC Worst Offender"

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

"KFC Worst Offender"

Post by DawnHRD »

This follows on from the "Explosion" thread, which somehow became a tribute to KFC. I made a comment on there about KFC's farming practices & would have said no more, but then I saw the following response:

"i hear somewhere that when cutting a cabbage down it screams mabey someone could elobrate on this"

So, I thought I would publish the letter that I referred to & let everyone decide whether they are willing to let animals suffer in this way, simply so they can eat their KFC chicken.

To clarify: I am not suggesting vegetarianism (although PETA does). I am not a vegetarian. I was for 10 years and then decided it was hypocritical to be buying many kilos of meat for the dogs & still consider myself a vegetarian. I was still responsible for animals being killed for food. So, I now eat meat. I do, however, object to the systematic torture of animals whilst they are alive & think they should be slaughtered as humanely as possible.

I should also like to point out that KFC is the only one of the chains contacted that refused to improve their practices. McDonald's, Burger King & Wendy's all implemented improvements. The practices described are used by KFC's suppliers worldwide, not just in LoS.

I have no intention to start an animal rights debate, I just wish to inform, so people can decide for themselves, knowing the facts. I will not post on this thread again, but will answer any genuine queries by pm.

The following is a letter published in the Bangkok Post:

KFC Worst Offender

Kudos to Eric Bahrt for his informative article on vegetarianism. Readers may be wondering why caring people are calling for a boycott of KFC.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) contacted McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and KFC, asking them to eliminate the worst abuses that chickens suffer on the factory farms and in the slaughterhouses of their suppliers, including live scalding, life-long crippling and painful debeaking.

Only KFC has refused to implement any basic improvements in animal welfare. KFC's breeding birds have their sensitive beaks seared off with hot blades soon after they are born. Broilers, or chickens raised for their flesh are bred and drugged in order to make them gain weight quickly, which often causes their hearts and lungs to failand their legs to become crippled. Archaic slaughter methods and faulty machinery cause millions of birds to be scalded alive in feather-removal tanks or have their throats slit while they are still conscious.

The best way to help these and other animals is to stop eating them. To find out more visit kfccruelty.com

JASON BAKER
Director
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) Asia Pacific
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Thank you Dawn. A timely reminder that we as people do have responsibilities on this planet other than only thinking about 'ME' all the time. The next time I fancy a KFC I'll give it a miss. They can Keep their F'in Chicken!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

An easy decision fo me to make, its crap anyway. Tastes like cardboard!
www.35mmview.com
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Burger
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

1150. Why????

For a cardboard meal????

Buy a box (cardboard not Thai p***y) and eat it .Tastes better depending what's been inside

Keep American/Canadian crap out of Thailand
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Somewhere today there was also a thread that mentioned KFC plastic buckets. Agreed they are highly un-biodegradeable.

We also talked before about 7-11 and giving back all the napkins, straws, plastic spoons/forks they stuff into your bag. Can do the same with a KFC bucket if you order the stuff. Just tell them to put your 9 pieces into 2-3 of their cardboard boxes instead, if you have no use at home for the plastic bucket.

A few at home are handy though: Soaking small laundry items. Punch holes in the bottom and great to wash vegetables or drain pasta. Good for marinading meat. Many storage uses. Martha Stewart :)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

KFC in my eyes is the worst food I have had the misfortune to eat in Thailand. I would never go near the place if it wasn’t for the fact that my partners son likes to eat there when we go shopping in Khorat.
One of my Mother-in-laws scraggly chickens that had spent its entire miserable existence living on a heap of Kwai dung, and then met a premature demise in the jaws of our pet dog one afternoon, still tasted considerably better once the remains had been cleaned of dog saliva and barbecued.
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Well, it seems that Burger and me are on the same side this time. :wink:

If I'm not wrong, than there are more about 12,300 KFC-restaurants in 80 countries...and McDonald's-restaurants are found in 120 countries and serve nearly 54 million customers each day.
IMO is this probably proof enough that their food can't be so bad.
Nobody should expect to get a 5-star-menu in a fast-food-restaurant, right?
KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc. are playing also in a higher league than most of the local noodle-soup-shops (Thai-fast-food!), especially in regards to the hygiene and cleanness.

Of course, not everybody is a friend of standardized products, and the multi-billion dollar win of these companies can make some people envy, too.
May be you can criticize the wage-structure, the terms of employment, or also the treatment of animals by some suppliers, but the good quality of the food is given certainly.

Last not least, not everybody has the same taste...but I hope McDonald's will come to town asap, too.
:mrgreen:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If every farang in Thailand stopped eating KFC, their revenues wouldn't even drop 1%. The Thai's love the stuff, including the powdered mashed potatos and that cold tuna salad they now serve instead of the standard cole slaw you get in the rest of the world.

We've talked on here before, order some KFC for a beer bar full of girls and your status will be elevated to punter supreme...LOL. Pete :cheers:
kiwi P

Post by kiwi P »

Who in there right mind would eat the crap anyways i dont eat it here and i surely wouldnt eat it in Thailand,,not when you have delici-mo Thai food,Just does'nt make sense,,,

:cheers: :cheers: Peace Out..
Every day is a good day 6ft above the ground
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

now let's me get it straight. I'm not a fast food fan, but every now and again when I'm feeling like a farang meal but can't be bothered to go out. I get a delivery job.

I was shocked. In the UK most KFC stuff is crap, small portions and overpriced. Here I've had 2 deliveries and the chicken has been succulent. Even the mrs loved it and it was very reasonably priced for the quantity supplied.

Sorry Dawn, when my stomach overules the brain I'll eat anything regardless of the raising process. Hate to say it, my favourite is Veal (snitchzel) although 9 times out of ten it's not real veal unless you are in France or Germany

Off to Khon Kaen next week for 3 weeks so although I've got the chickens running around I havent got the colonels secret recipe!!!!!!!!!!
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A friend told me he once went to KFC in Pranburi and they had run out of chicken! How about that for a limited menu choice; you could have a bargain bucket full of sweet-corn and little tubs of coleslaw.
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote:A friend told me he once went to KFC in Pranburi and they had run out of chicken! How about that for a limited menu choice; you could have a bargain bucket full of sweet-corn and little tubs of coleslaw.
Been to the same branch ... how does KF Rat sound to you? Tell the difference? ... most wouldn't!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Khon Kaeng rat is good

Still can't the KFC recipe though
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Okay, admission time, I like Thai KFC.

I am what I eat and I am an alcho.........

S##t, wrong forum!!!! :(
Talk is cheap