Getting a Thai Drivers License

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Randy Cornhole wrote:Slightly off piste but none the less relevant. I decided to buy a motorsai last year and was told to go to the police station for documentation. I was told that i needed a letter from my rental place plus id verification bla bla bla. I went to the local Hua Hin police station with all the relevant doc's and was told to come back in one week?
I then went to the Honda dealer in Hua Hin and said that I had 45,000 bht and wanted a new Honda quick! No problem she said give me the money and your passport and it will be sorted.
The bike was mine within 30 Min's and is in my name. with my passport details. So where's the problem?
I bought it on my own as a ferrang and have tax and insurance. The documents are in my name and have my passport and visa numbers on. I don't own a house (rent) and am not married.
Don't believe all you here... its all crap.
Apologies - Steering back off topic

Randy this is quite serious as I think you are gravely mistaken...
Have they given you all your documentation??? I bought a brand new motor bike and yes they gave me a bunch of documentation, tax, insurance etc and assured me that I could 'own' the bike (I had a non imm 'o' visa). Out came 44,000 baht, and I was the 'owner' of a sexy blue honda sonic! :cheers:
So far so good, but NO number plates on purchase (you have to wait for them to be authorised by the government as its a brand new bike.) Also NO green log book was issued (also has to be processed as its a brand new bike). To cut a long story short, I 'owned' the bike but it was in 'limbo' waiting for all the red tape to be sorted. 'No problem' I optimistically thought. I have plenty of time! About four weeks later a get a phone call from the dealership.
'Sorry they cannot process bike papers plates due to you not having business visa!' :cry:
The dealership BTW was in Phitsanoluk province and I had trailblazed the bike down from there into Hua Hin! A bit far to gimble it back up there to sort out! :o
I had to seek out a trusted thai person whose name the bike would be in! It all worked itself out in the end and the plates and green book arrived (in a trusted THAI name!).
So as Dr Dave has considerately explained already...
You cannot register the bike unless you have a business visa/own a company!

Or can you confirm that you hold the green book with your name inside it AND number plates on purchase???? :shock:

Will be interested to see if you have circumvented the red tape conundrum! :shock: