moving to Hua Hin

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
zetec109
Novice
Novice

moving to Hua Hin

Post by zetec109 »

Hi
i intend moving from scotland to Hua Hin in the very near future. Initially I would like to rent a house before eventually buying one. If I buy a house and rent out a couple of rooms would this be considered a business and would the house therefore have to be registered in the name of a Thai person?
Thanks
Zetec
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: I get the feeling I've read this before :? One posting is more than enough to get a response.

Repeated postings in various forums only attract a disjointed response.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Re: moving to Hua Hin

Post by lomuamart »

zetec109 wrote:Hi
i intend moving from scotland to Hua Hin in the very near future. Initially I would like to rent a house before eventually buying one. If I buy a house and rent out a couple of rooms would this be considered a business and would the house therefore have to be registered in the name of a Thai person?
Thanks
Zetec
I imagine you could possibly be liable for tax, therefore the conclusion could be drawn that you were/are working.
zetec109
Novice
Novice

apologies

Post by zetec109 »

Sorry, I am new on site. It won't happen again.
Zetec
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No problem.
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you are earning an income as a farang you'll need a work permit and it will be taxable.

Best to put it in a Thai name who needs no permit to work and seldom pays any tax!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bancoheal
Novice
Novice

Post by bancoheal »

i suppose to the letter of the law...yes, you would be tax liable etc.

but, depends who you rent to.
If it is just "word of mouth" to friends, i.e. no adverts in local papers, websites and such like, then who needs to know...........

see no, hear no, speak no

:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote:If you are earning an income as a farang you'll need a work permit and it will be taxable.

Best to put it in a Thai name who needs no permit to work and seldom pays any tax!
Are people still buying landed houses under company names in these uncertain times? I think the OP needs to consider how to buy before he worries about how to rent out some rooms and pay taxes.

Since Khun Burger went to greener pastures, Buksi, maybe not a bad idea to have one of the HHAD sponsers give an update on the "state of purchase/company purchase law for farangs.." as it now stands.

I personally haven't seen or read any new hot news on the subject inthe last 3 months. Maybe sameo, sameo, I don't know. Twice a year isn't a bad idea to let the hounds loose for an update. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Bancoheal

Even Thais get caught in the net

Renting, earning and not paying tax

Dodgy

If you are a farang you'd be on your bike (plane) home
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
zetec109
Novice
Novice

Post by zetec109 »

Even tho' I have read up on stuff I am still confused about buying a house in Thailand. Can foreigners buy a house but not own the land and how safe is this?
Thanks
Zetec
buksida

Post by buksida »

prcscct wrote: Since Khun Burger went to greener pastures, Buksi, maybe not a bad idea to have one of the HHAD sponsers give an update on the "state of purchase/company purchase law for farangs.." as it now stands.
Yeah the burgmeister and TTM have taken their little battles to a forum more deserving and welcoming of such pettiness.

As far as house ownership is concerned I would steer clear of companies unless you have a bunch of genuinely wealthy shareholders who are willing to put their arses on the line.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
zetec109
Novice
Novice

buying a house in thailand

Post by zetec109 »

I have no intention of buying a house through a company. But can farangs buy a house without a company? All I want to do is move to Thailand and live a nice peaceful life. I have seen so many houses for sale in Thailand that I am confused about the laws regarding farangs owning one. How safe is this? Can somebody please advise me.
Thanks
Zetec
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

you can own a house in your name no problem.
you can also own a lease on land in your name no problem.
its the land that you cant own in your name.
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

splitlid wrote:you can own a house in your name no problem.
I think that you may need to be a bit careful with a broad statement like that. It is my understanding, based on legal advice, that you can only own a house, or any building for that matter, if you actually build the structure in you own name. That is, the original building permit is issued in your name. It will, of course, have to be built on land owned by a Thai. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
zetec109
Novice
Novice

moving to Hua Hin

Post by zetec109 »

Thanks for advice from everyone. Think I may come out in September and stay for a couple of weeks and get some legal advice before I commit to buy.
Zetec