Anyone using Gasohol?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Anyone using Gasohol?

Post by buksida »

Had no choice but to fill up with it yesterday, no 91 pumps. While a good 20% cheaper I did notice a marked drop in performance meaning that you need to be heavier on the right foot resulting in getting through more of the stuff so not much saving.

Anyone used it? Have noticed that production cars here are underpowered and restricted anyway, even the "sports" versions.

All except those huge great 3.2 litre pickup trucks with no brakes or suspension that get driven by lunatics here that can't handle the horses and have no respect for the roads or other drivers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Buks, are you saying that the octane type is less than 91 octane, if it is, may pay to use an octane booster to boost the octane up to normal levels. Most products that you buy will boost up about 3-4 points, which should make a signaificant difference.

Did you get any engine noises that were not normally eveident when you put your normal octane petrol petrol (Mainly pinging under load). If you did, you really need to use a booster product. Only other thing you could try is when you get half way down the tank, top it up with some 98 octane petrol and see if it makes a difference.

If you want any recomendations on what use let me know and will send you the details of suitable products.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Do not know about 91 octane, but I run my 3.9 Litre V8 Landrover on Gasohol 95. Do not notice any drop off in performance, and it gobbles it up at such a rate that the couple of times that I have checked the consumption, have not really seen much , if any, difference.

It is becoming more difficult to find straight 91 / 95, and the government is set on increasing the use of Gasohol, so I guess we just have to get used to it. The answer is LPG, or NVG, and at the moment there is a big cost saving with LPG. The government is just waiting until I convert my car, and then they will withdraw the subsidy on LPG! At the moment NGV does not have the distribution points, among a couple of other drawbacks.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

May pay to read this as it seems older cars are not always suited to run on it
Not all cars are designed to use gasohol

One of the biggest fears most people have is that it will cause damage to the engine. This is unlikely, but possible if your car is not suited for use with the fuel. Check your cars manual to see if it supports gasohol. If your car is reasonably new, but your manual doesn't mention ethanol blends, or gasohol, check with your manufacturer. Do not ask a mechanic at a local garage as they probably won't know, but probably will advise you anyway. I've heard people being told not to use gasohol because it would damage the engine, even though the manufacturer guarantees the engine for gasohol.

Summary
Gasohol 95 is cheaper and has a reduced impact on the environment than regular petrol. If you have a reasonably modern car that runs on petrol the chances are that it can run on Gasohol 95. Check with your manufacturer, or a trusted garage and if your car is fit to use gasohol then you should seriously consider making the change.

The benefits of using gasohol vastly outweigh the problems. It seems that everybody wins: the motorist will save on fuel bills, the environment will benefit from reduced emissions, and the local economy will benefit in the longer term.

Will ethanol ever be the definitive fuel for motor transport in Thailand? That's another issue. There are other alternative fuels in the pipeline (sorry!) and it's possible that one of these will win out. But for the medium term it is hard to see another fuel offering all the benefits of ethanol. Flexi-Fuel cars should also allow for a graceful transition to ethanol, and owners of these cars will have peace of mind, knowing that they can run on petrol or ethanol.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

I've heard Gasohol can rot the fuel lines on some bikes over time due to the organic/petrol mix in it.
Whether there is any truth in this I'm not sure though.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

I run my car frequently with Gasahol 95

Have heard stories if reduced performance and increased fuel economy. Personally haven't really noticed any difference in either. As my travelling pattern varies each week, it is difficult to mke any conclusion regarding fuel economy. As for performance, agian its difficult to tel unless you drive at the extreme of your car's performance, and I certainly don't do that!

Having said all that, if the station stocks regular 95, I normally go for that, so I guess I am harbouring some doubts!

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My car is optimised for standard 95 gasoline, I stay away from gasohol.

The ethanol in gasohol tends to clean the engine - too clean. It removes the carbon deposits that seal the valves, and these deposits end up in the oil creating sludge problems. Depending on how pure it is - acids in the ethanol as a result of manufacture - can combine with the moisture in the fuel and create other problems. Not all seals are compatible with ethanol.

Chelsea, if only we had 98 octane here!

Part of the loss of support for the fellow in self-exile was the fact that he alienated the middle class locals by threatening to remove regular 95 from production. (You can't really run your BMW/ Audi on 91 octane, can you?) This included vague endorsements by the local-based car manufacturers saying it was safe to use... until he was out of the picture.

The only good thing about it is that it is environmentally friendly.

Here is a link to an old Bangkok Post article written by Jessada Tandhasette that throws some light on the situation.

http://www.geocities.com/bkkriders/gasohol.html
วินเชนท์
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Vincent, if you have no 98 octane petrol I am amazed a lot of people with late model Mercs, BMW, Audi etc do not get problems with the running of their vehicles as from what I know they are recommended like you said to run on 98 octane at the lowest.

Only thing they could be doing is using an octane boost addative to take it up to the 98.
Most addatives only take it up 3 points, so they should be ok with them (if they are available out there).

There is a Nulon product here in Australia that does take up 7 points, if anyone wants any details, pm me and I can forward you the info
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

With most modern cars, the engine management computers are capable of adjusting the performance to suit a range of fuels. I can run mine on 91 octane, it's just that the performance would be down. Also, going up a step to 98 octane probably won't make much of a difference unless the car is highly modified.

Most of the people who buy these cars here don't necessarily buy them for their performance potential, but more as a status symbol. So the cars are very seldom, if ever, going to be used anywhere near the limits of their performance envelope.

There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, and this guy is still using 95 octane. I do use some of his products, but nowhere near where he's at.. :)

http://www.abbottthai.com/galleries/9000se.htm
วินเชนท์