Investing in Maylasia

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm not trying to make any point, other than the obvious, by linking this article. As an optimist, I hope that Thailand eventually realises that they're in a "world", not some little enclave of SE Asia. Other neighbouring countries seem to be welcoming the departing farangs with glee.
A shame on Thailand:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.j ... ife122.xml
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Good link, lomu. The obvious point needs to be made, loud and often, and preferably by global corporations. Money talks.

Can't say I'm too sorry about the non-availability of flatpacks though... :guns: :cheers:
This is the way
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Thing is Lomu, a lot of people complain about Thailand, but I don't hear of any of them actually moving.

I's just hot air to me.

Burger
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Believe it or not, Burger, there are already many people which left TH to settle down in more foreign-friendly neighbor-countries.
I also know few of these people personally, even from Hua Hin.
It's not a countrywide mass-escape of foreigners, of course, but the tendency can't be ignored.
The question is just, which of these more friendly countries are preferred...some move to Malaysia, others to the Phils or Cambodia.

Nevertheless, most relocating-willing persons are bound to investments here, which they can't sell easily or to families they can't leave.
For those, which prefer to live in a cloud cuckoland all is running fine in TH, of course.
Good luck to them ! :wink:
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Sure Hogus, funny how all the one's on here that have said it have never been back on to report how they are getting on.

Burger
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Burger wrote:Sure Hogus, funny how all the one's on here that have said it have never been back on to report how they are getting on.
:lach: ... you're really great, Burger

Can it be that you overestimate the importance of forums like HHAD totally???? :shock:

As far as I can see it, the people known to me, who moved from TH already, have never written anything here...I'm even not sure, whether they knew or have perceived HHAD in all the time.

Just because you, some few others and me like to express our opinions here, it doesn't mean that this is also an important thing for the majority outside, right?

As I said above already, very nice perhaps but not so good to live in a cloud cuckoland only, mate!

:D :wink:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It would be interesting to know, out of around 3,000 farangs in Hua Hin, how many subscribe to this forum. It took me 5 years.

I also know of expats who have fled Thailand for more foreignor friendly countries. One couple I know even opted for China. Others to Cambodia, Vietnam and of course Malaysia. Some of these have been here for some time before making the move.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

users

Post by redzonerocker »

HHTel wrote:It would be interesting to know, out of around 3,000 farangs in Hua Hin, how many subscribe to this forum. It took me 5 years.

it says on the main index page (at the bottom) there are 2763 registered users on hhad. not all living in hua hin i'm sure but connected in some way or another :D .
quite a few visitors (unregistered) too i would say :cheers: .
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

HHTel wrote:It would be interesting to know, out of around 3,000 farangs in Hua Hin, how many subscribe to this forum.
Would be really an interesting question for another topic.
I suppose from the nearly 3000 registered users the majority are "card-index-corpses", inactive and not living in Hua Hin, or even TH...may be former or steady tourists???

If you follow HHAD-topics for a while, you'll see always the same names are posting anything...sometimes a newcomer... fakes and trolls included...

May be the mods can give us better more information!
In my eyes about 100 users are active members, perhaps....and 10% - 25% of all registered users are regular readers!?...really not sure about this.

Herewith I give the question to the Big Bosses of HHAD, to enlighten us! :thumb:

:cheers:
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

hogus wrote:
As far as I can see it, the people known to me, who moved from TH already, have never written anything here...I'm even not sure, whether they knew or have perceived HHAD in all the time.
Hogey, I wrote "funny how all the one's on here that have said it have never been back on to report how they are getting on"

On here, on here, on here, on here, on here ..... get it now ?

Burger
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Burger wrote:On here, on here, on here, on here, on here ..... get it now ?
:D ...cool down, Burgerbaby...enjoy a drink, take a girl, relax...thought you're here in paradise? :wink:

...and nice night...it's late again !
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

cool down, Burgerbaby...enjoy a drink, take a girl, relax
Done all that this morning mate, before lunch. :wink:

Apology excepted.

Buirger
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thought I'd drag this one up again.
BBC World Service, on their "Fast Track" (travel) slot are doing a series about traveling The Orient Express up from Singapore to BKK. This week they're in Malaysia and as part of the programme they focus in on a British couple who retired there a few years ago taking advantage of the "Malaysia my Second Home" scheme.
It's quite interesting. The couple settled in Malacca and speak about property rights, what the government's doing to attract retirees etc.
I'm not trying to stir up a discussion about Thailand vs the rest of SE Asia, just pointing out that it's on.
I think the programme will run for a week (don't know when that ends), but I'm sure "Fast Track" is repeated a number of times during the day.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Malaysia is a half decent retirement home for mom and pop types who want a quiet retirement. Theres no rowdy and naughty nightlife, its more 'civilised.'
LOS is more like the wilder, more adventurous cousin, it has everything that young dudes and single older dudes want. But to live in LOS you've gotta be capable of walking the line and knowing that we're just visitors here and not residents.
Malaysia is a very boring, non-sanuk place. If you don't mind the over-conservative mentality that the Malays have then maybe it's for you.
The people there can be quite friendly and talkative but forget trying to start a relationship with a malay girl unless she is Christian and you live there long term.
I was in Kota Baru and almost all the women were wearing the black shador, it's a very grim and desolate place, no bars to relax and have a beer in, a few restaurants, but who wants to go for a beer in a restaurant if you've already eaten??
I haven't been to Penang but that sounds about the closest place I'd want to be in Malaysia as it's got some nightlife (albeit rough!).
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Well... I am married to a Chinese Malaysian and she lived there all her life - well up to now !
She definately did not want to retire in Malaysia.
OK the people speak English - so what ?
try being a non ethnic Malay and get the same prices - same as Thailand - the non thnic (read muslim) Malays even legally pay more tax than ethnic Malays.
Malays get 10% discount on housing and all big purchases.
Racism there is the same as Thailand.
Just settle where you feel happy and if anyone comes up with a perfect country full of perfect people with perfect laws - PLEASE tell me where it is.
Stop complaining about other places - why didi you leave your own country ?