Scotland are better than England now ??

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Burger wrote:
Agree, England should implement that, I would go so far as only 3 foreigners in a club side.
The problem with that is that the TV companies would probably move their money elsewhere. That would then result in a lot of the current premiership sides finding themselves in financial difficulties, and having to lower the quality of their squads.

We'd probably end up with a Scottish type (Rangers/Celtic) domination with the rest making up the numbers. I accept that the premiership is currently dominated by an elite pack of 4 or 5 clubs, but at least the other clubs can still afford to put out a half decent team that sometimes provides a little resistance.

If the Premiership sides don't have the money, then the clubs in the lower divisions will not have the cash to run their youth development programmes to feed the higher division - its a vicious circle.

At the end of the day England is only looking for a squad of 24 decent players - surely there must be that many in the 220 men that get a Premiership outing every week.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Big Boy wrote:
The problem with that is that the TV companies would probably move their money elsewhere. That would then result in a lot of the current premiership sides finding themselves in financial difficulties, and having to lower the quality of their squads.
Sky (the big money) would never dump the Premiership, less TV money and lower wages (due to players from lower leagues) equates itself out maybe.
If the Premiership sides don't have the money, then the clubs in the lower divisions will not have the cash to run their youth development programmes to feed the higher division - its a vicious circle.
No, the lower divisions do not have money NOW because we are paying the dosh to overseas clubs, not lower league English clubs, this has been a problem for them for 5 years + now.
At the end of the day England is only looking for a squad of 24 decent players
I know this not relevant particularly to the debate, but Mourinho bought 24 players at a cost of 225m in his time at Chelski, ironic.

Burger
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Super Joe wrote: Scotland have arguably the best young squad in Europe.
Sounds like the fans have also got the wildest imagination.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

scotland

Post by redzonerocker »

Super Joe wrote: We are talking about the present. Scotland have arguably the best young squad in Europe.
:lach:
sorry, but i think you are getting a little carried away s-j after a couple of good results.
until you qualify & make it past the 1st round proper, that statement is lacking in substance.
of the 16 man squad that played in paris, 10 play in the scottish prem but only for celtic (4) or rangers (6).these 2 clubs need to start performing in the champions league, ie getting past the group stages on a regular basis before they can gain any credibility in european football.
i can understand your pride at the way you have performed in the qualifiers so far. the job isn't quite done yet though :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Burger wrote:Big Boy wrote:
Sky (the big money) would never dump the Premiership, less TV money and lower wages (due to players from lower leagues) equates itself out maybe.
Why wouldn't they? If the players that attract them are forced to move elsewhere because they are no longer allowed to get a game in England, why wouldn't the cameras follow the entertainment elsewhere? Don't forget, its not just the English fans that watch it - Sky currently sell their package worldwide.
No, the lower divisions do not have money NOW because we are paying the dosh to overseas clubs, not lower league English clubs, this has been a problem for them for 5 years + now.
There are still enough players being plucked from the lower leagues. Maybe they don't shine as much when put up against some of the foreign imports, but that money is a valuable lifeline for some teams.
At the end of the day England is only looking for a squad of 24 decent players
I know this not relevant particularly to the debate, but Mourinho bought 24 players at a cost of 225m in his time at Chelski, ironic.

Burger

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Big Boy wrote:
Why wouldn't they? If the players that attract them are forced to move elsewhere because they are no longer allowed to get a game in England, why wouldn't the cameras follow the entertainment elsewhere? Don't forget, its not just the English fans that watch it - Sky currently sell their package worldwide.
If you're seriously suggesting that Sky TV would take thier cameras elsewhere and not cover the Premiership when they can still show 60 of the world's best overseas players (3 per 20 teams), then I just can't believe it mate.

Burger
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sky currently pay such big money because the Premiership is sold to a worldwide audience. One of the main attractions is that the Premiership has many of the worlds greatest players featuring.

If the FA were to bar many of those players, and another country took advantage, it is totally feasible that Sky could make a lucritive deal with that country's FA. Once the new country had secured the funding, 'Premiership type' pay deals could be offered to attract the players (including English) that currently grace the Premiership. The attraction of Premiership football would fade away from England, and the worldwide package would then be elsewhere.

What I'm really saying is outside of the top 4 or 5 English clubs, very few could afford to sustain the current wage bills if TV funding was withdrawn. If that happened, 3 foreign players would be a luxury, not a given.

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

It still would have 60 of the world's greatest players playing ??

So SKY TV will turn to Italy, like Channel 4 did with no viewers, cos it's dull and slow.
Go to Spain, it all ready covers that.
Go to Germany or Holland :shock:

C'mon get real with me, they'd never drop the Premiership.

If they reduced the money, the clubs can afford it because they would be buying cheaper, lower wage players from the lower league English clubs.

The world that watches the Premiership, like the massive coverage in the Far East, does not know if John Jensen is English or Danish.
Does not know whether Gabriel Agbonglahor is from Africa or was born 2 miles from Villa's ground, and they don't care.

The Premiership wouldn't be quite as good sure, but the English national team, who I think are pathetic at present, would be stronger down the line.

Burger
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Burger,

We could go on with this for days. I think there are a lot of ifs, buts and maybes on both sides. I certainly hope SKY never pull the plug.

However, they've already lost some of the business with Setana (sp?) moving in; and have already had to resort to showing more Championship than Premiership matches this season (being a Plymouth supporter, I'm not complaining).

I think we should leave this discussion now, and let the OP resume with his thread.
:offtopic:

Points 48; Position 20
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Big Boy wrote:Setana (sp?)
Its not setana, santana or sultana! Its Setanta!
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Agreed Big Boy, think the original poster has run away though ?? :D

Burger
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I would rather watch entertaining football week in, week out in the premiership than England doing slightly better in a tournament every 2 years.

Limit the foreigners?

Why? So I can watch Neil Mellor instead of Fernando Torres.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Torres would be playing Baa Baa, according to all the previous posts.

They'd be more John Terry's, Ledley King's etc coming through and less Winston Bogard's and Ramon Vega's .... not a bad thing.

They'd be less diving, play acting etc too ... not a bad thing either (yes I know a few of our players do it too now)

I'm not sure I really care either way also Baa Baa, it was just the point about why England are crap and how they could improve.

I care about Spurs first and foremost, England 2nd, wife a distant 3rd. Actually me little old local club Brentford may claim 3rd spot from her :D

Burger
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The strangest thing is, on paper, player for player, we are producing the talent.

I also dont think we're alone, Spain and Holland are massive underachievers with the talent they've got.

Anyway, Come on Torres, Mascherano, Babel, Voronin, etc. :thumb:
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

The strangest thing is, on paper, player for player, we are producing the talent.
I don't think so mate, not when I see Emile Heskey playing up front for us.
He spends more time on the floor than a carpet fitter.

Torres looks a good signing though, adapted straight away.
Another season or two and he might be mentioned in the same breath as Berbatov :D Who is currently plying his trade in the relegation zone :oops:

Burger