Google Earth

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Google Earth

Post by KelpieKiss »

I don't know how many of you use the amazing Google Earth http://earth.google.com/

Every time in the past when I've looked at the Hua Hin area it's been a huge blur. I checked it again last night and finally they have high res satellite images of the whole area.

Now you can go on and try to find your house. It's fun!!!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

KK,
Hate to tell you this, but someone beat you to it - see http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/go ... t8018.html.
But thanks anyway... :)
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

Quite funny. I was just about to open a new topic on the subject as well.

The new resolution is excellent.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Luxrebel wrote:The new resolution is excellent.
I cannot understand this. I have downloaded the latest version, which claims to be 4.2, and Hua Hin is just a blur below about 3km eye height. I can see my Condo in Bangkok clearly, but a lot of other areas are also a blur. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Nereus,
I posted this on the other thread as well; the version of the application you have, I believe, is irrelevant, as the images are not stored in the application but online. I think all the new version will have is some improved features or some extra whistles and bells. That does not answer your problem though, which i can't understand, although maybe you are using a slow computer or internet connection? That may prevent the application showing the high res images possibly.

Edit - just realised you said you could see your Bangkok condo clearly so forget what i just said about slow computer etc!
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

Sorry Nereus, can't help. I was able to view HH really well on my old version of Google at home. Downloaded the latest version at work last week and I was also able to get the same views.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I am nowhere near an expert on Google Earth, in fact I don't suppose that I've used it more than a dozen times. The version I have on my home PC is 3.0.0762.

Using this version, I agree that the clarity on the image within Hua Hin has got a lot better, but when compared to a view of my home in England, the Hua Hin image has a long way to go ie:

England:
In this picture you can see a fair bit of detail including our conservatory, garden shed, wife's car and even paving stones in the back garden.

Hua Hin:
This picture is of the house we stayed in earlier this year when we visited Hua Hin. You can pick out landmarks such as the swimming pool of the Jed Pee Nong Hotel, but wouldn't have much luck looking for an individual paving stone.

Is this the quality of Hua Hin that everybody is raving about, or is there something better available?
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

That is the quality I was on about all right. Did you see it before? It was terrible.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I did - a vast improvement, but still a fair way to go.

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

That link still leads you to the 4.2 download ... how do we get the 4.3, bells whistles and all!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

They do the best they can with the images available from NASA etc.
If you read the fine print it says the images can be up to 3 years old but they update them all the time as possible.
The HH images are far superior to a few months ago, I found my house easily whereas it was impossible before.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

google

Post by redzonerocker »

they may have improved coverage to the remoter parts but the updating side of things doesn't seem to have changed much.
i have had a look for the first time in about 18 months & nothing has been updated in any of the areas i have visited before!
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

rzr,

The Hua Hin photo is about 500 yards from Soi Binthabaht - if that is remote, what areas have you visited? I can assure you that the photos of Binthabaht are no clearer. :?

Points 48; Position 21
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

google

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote:rzr,

The Hua Hin photo is about 500 yards from Soi Binthabaht - if that is remote, what areas have you visited? I can assure you that the photos of Binthabaht are no clearer. :?
sorry big boy, should of made myself clearer.
what i meant was, they have clearer images of areas previously obscure (not particularly remote as such), but areas of personal interest to me (homes/areas of family etc, places previously viewed) haven't changed at all in the past year to 18 months.
not that i'm making a fuss about it, but i thought they updated the views about every three months, originally?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
KelpieKiss
Banned
Banned

Post by KelpieKiss »

How do I attach a photo to the post. I'm getting very clear images of the Hua Hin area and would like to share.