Stonehead Tavern

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Stonehead Tavern

Post by Jockey »

Was driving through Hua Hin yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see the new building on the corner near the night market has been turned into a Tavern (Stonehead Tavern). It advertises draft beer, pool and live music. There are two floors but I've never been in. Can someone please report?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Same as you Jockey,
Drivin by early hours of this morn...eh-up..Wetherspoons has come to town...or very much like it.
Its been in the construction stage all year, lets see how it goes eh?
Chas
Banned
Banned

Nice place!

Post by Chas »

We went in the other night and loved it. The bar is upstairs ( downstairs is an ice cream place which we didnt try) The bar is beautifully designed in a colonial style, big leather easy chairs, low lighting. . brand new smell!

Very, VERY elegant! ( They put a LOT of money into it. .even the staff uniforms have a designer flair.)

We went in with a friend of the managers and were treated like kings. (they had Divo playing on the video screens, then the Eagles) It is now on our list of favorite places to hang out in Hua Hin.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Chas - Is the pool table good and is it free to play on? Do they sell draft beer? What type of food? Is it expensive?

Looking forward to giving it a visit.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Playing Eagles?
That's enuf reason for me to avoid the joint! :wink:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

johnnyk wrote:Playing Eagles?
That's enuf reason for me to avoid the joint! :wink:
Blimey! Your choice of venues must be pretty limited then! :D
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

JohnnyK I am with you on that one
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Chas
Banned
Banned

new pub

Post by Chas »

I was not enamored of the Eagles, who I had heard of and knew existed but would not have recognized. ( I had to ask who they were) Not my type of music (I just watched them in awe that guys as old as I am could sing so lustily and so high!)

I am not a great fan of Divo either! One tenor is usually more than enough and four is definitely WAAAAY too many . . talk about singing lustily!

Bottom line. I was just happy it wasn't football or some other sport. (Also happy not to be dealing with bar girls.)

We drank spirits but I saw draft beer on offer.

I must confess to not having noticed a pool table either. I seldom play.

Price list seemed moderate. I have seen far higher prices and there must be lower as well.

I didn't know I would be reviewing the place or I would have taken better notes. I plan to go back soon though and will try to answer all questions at that time.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

WL-that is sooo funny!
It's as if Thailand wants to drag you back in time..Eagles are always there -one way or the other -one place or the other !!

ciao4now
8)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Had a beer last night in Stonehead tavern - beautifully done place - staff were excellent, drinks are more expensive than the norm - 120baht for a small Asahi or Corona - but worth the money. Didnt try the pool table but it looked like a good quality American table, will try next time. No live music yet - the Fillipino band have not got the work permits yet.

Really nice bar much different to anything else out there, give it a try.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

whys it called the Stonehead? seems they ripped the name off the local band....who in turn adapted it from the bike club name the singer is a member of....

....and if they play eagles then this old stonehead wont be going.....
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

sandman,
Maybe you don't know this, or maybe you are being humorous, but Hua Hin means Stone Head.... :cheers:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

No I was being dumb as usual mate.....forgot entirely thats what Hua Hin meant.....

doh! :wink:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I thought HUA HIN meant head stone.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

nevets,
Taken literally in the order it is written, that is true, but as far as I know (like many languages) the order is often reversed to the meaning, and I think the name Hua Hin comes from a geographical description (like Beachy Head in the UK) of part of the coastline here (I was told it's that bit to the left of the main beach looking towards the sea with the Chinese temple on it). But please somebody correct me if i have got any of that wrong!