Billy's Bar

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Billy's Bar

Post by Jockey »

The authentic bastion of Hua Hin expat culture, Billy's bar, opened 12 years ago before the Hilton was built and is still going strong. So what's so special about Billy's bar I hear you ask? Yes? No?

Why Billy of course - that and his 400 gig music collection which he kindly donated to Surf FM (another story). But beware! Look like your enjoying yourself and the next thing you'll be asked to fill in a prediction coupon. Fair do's says I as I start to predict the obvious EPL results only to be tripped up with the likes of Bristol City Vs Norwich and Falkirk Vs Aberdeen (2 away wins obviously but a little different).

It then occurred to me that no one has ever been known to win Billys famous prediction competition and by Billy's own admission it's the only thing that makes his business viable. So beware.......

I can't believe I asked about Tear Gas and got it right in my face excluding the famous Alex Harvey! Great to listen to but lets face it, in these days a shag was the number 1 goal and the Bay City Rollers Shang A Lang was better bait,

I leave you with this thought - Hua Hin would be a very sad place without Billys Bar so please humor this Highland living legend, excuse his hunnery, get down to his bar and predict the wekends football results. I think you have more chance of winning Billy's coupon than Scotland winning the next World Cup, but I think you might have a wee bit O' fun tryin'!

By the way.... pure magic! :cheers: Tear Gas - Zal Cleminson ....!!!!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Billy's Bar

Post by margaretcarnes »

Not bovvered how the place is subsidised as long as he keeps going for another 12 years or more! Well done Billy :cheers:
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

I remember Billy starting doing business in HH taking over the Joy Guest House (gone now) in Soi Binthabat from Dutchman Jack. I must admit that I thought Billy was going to be another statistic: bar owners lasting for 1 to 2 years max. depending on how many backup saving they got. But Billy did it!! Congratulations, the next 12 years will be easy.

PS The Hilton was built in 1995. It was called the Melia.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Billy's Bar

Post by margaretcarnes »

Hi Roel, yes it was still the Melia when we moved to HuaHin. Just before they 'improved' the frontage there used to be a great Stir Fry service outside every evening. You went along the stalls and picked your own ingredients and the chef Wokked it at the end.
Dougy was there as well near Billys, with Little Big Horn, which most folks will remember for its Jukebox and of course Jeaow. Is she still around?
Back to Billy - its the one place you can rely on a decent stock of books. A bit like Tommys on 3rd Road Pattaya.
buksida

Post by buksida »

As yes Billy's is a true gem of an establishment - haven't been in there for a while though.

Remember the Big Horn too - those were the days! Jaew is now running a karaoke bar in the same area.

Anyone remember the Hurricane pub?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Remember Big Horn - Doug and Jaeow at the time 8 years ago - seems like yesterday! Billy is a gem of a guy - have had some memorable late nights there.Had my head shaved for the first time in Billys - the big canadian doing the hairdresser job did me, Billy and a few other that night - never forget waking up and almost sxxxxxx myself when i saw a distinctly shorter hair cut than ever before!
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Billy's Bar

Post by Ken »

Jockey wrote:The authentic bastion of Hua Hin expat culture, Billy's bar, opened 12 years ago before the Hilton was built and is still going strong. So what's so special about Billy's bar I hear you ask? Yes? No?

Why Billy of course - that and his 400 gig music collection which he kindly donated to Surf FM (another story). But beware! Look like your enjoying yourself and the next thing you'll be asked to fill in a prediction coupon. Fair do's says I as I start to predict the obvious EPL results only to be tripped up with the likes of Bristol City Vs Norwich and Falkirk Vs Aberdeen (2 away wins obviously but a little different).

It then occurred to me that no one has ever been known to win Billys famous prediction competition and by Billy's own admission it's the only thing that makes his business viable. So beware.......

I can't believe I asked about Tear Gas and got it right in my face excluding the famous Alex Harvey! Great to listen to but lets face it, in these days a shag was the number 1 goal and the Bay City Rollers Shang A Lang was better bait,

I leave you with this thought - Hua Hin would be a very sad place without Billys Bar so please humor this Highland living legend, excuse his hunnery, get down to his bar and predict the wekends football results. I think you have more chance of winning Billy's coupon than Scotland winning the next World Cup, but I think you might have a wee bit O' fun tryin'!

By the way.... pure magic! :cheers: Tear Gas - Zal Cleminson ....!!!!
Stumbled into his bar one night, had lots more drink with Billy who, as usual, pulled out the football predictions. By this time I couldn't even see the teams so just filled it in with no concern as to who was playing who. Went to his toilet? and promptly tripped, breaking pipes and goodness knows what else. Some people said I improved the place. Apologised to Billy and told him just to send me the bill for the damages. 2 nights later one of Billy's girls turned up at Crawfords with an envelope which I assumed was the bill for my toilet demolition job. No, my winnings from the football - obviously you didn't drink enough, Jockey. Less than 50% correct for me this week. Too little drink. :D
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Re: Billy's Bar

Post by Jockey »

Ken wrote: - obviously you didn't drink enough, Jockey. Less than 50% correct for me this week. Too little drink. :D
Well obviously I did drink enough - I've just had a phone call from the girl at Billys Bar to say I won the football sweep! - the secret has been revealed! :cheers:
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Well done jockey nice one :cheers:
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

As I said somewhere else just now, Billy's is one of my favourites. I love going back.

The first time I went to Hua Hin, I was jsut there for a wekk but I spent the whole time in the Little Big Horn. One night I was asleep on one side of the bar and Doug was asleep on the other side........young and innocent back then and afraid of being accosted if I walked down Bintabaht.

Anyway got over my fear and have been back every year bar one since!!!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Hi Mags, say hello to Billy too!

Now we are on a bit of a sentimental journey here I also will never forget the Memorable Micky Mouse Darts Competition every wednesday night in The Ship. Great fun that was. Billy trying to keep the score whilst a dozen drunks were shouting corrections.
And Buksida, from the Hurricane I remember that at one time a bunch of Thai youngsters at the table next to us were fiddling around with a gun. It went of hitting the wooden floor and that resulted in a serious reprimand by the owner "a bit careful with the gun please guys". :?
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Point of order.

The Melia had its soft opening in August 1992 :thumb:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Only been there a few times but too many expats for me

Personal thing I know but I came to Thailand to be with Thais

Don't get me wrong. Still like an occasional beer with an expat or a tourist
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

richard wrote:
Personal thing I know but I came to Thailand to be with Thais
What the smeg are you doing in Hua Hin then ... surely Narathiwat would suit you better?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Billys Bar

Post by margaretcarnes »

Er - whats a smeg?