TAxi Mafiosos in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Jermingo
Novice
Novice

TAxi Mafiosos in Hua Hin

Post by Jermingo »

Since when did the Taxi drivers take over Hua Hin???
Most of these guys arent' even from Hua Hin or even registered as taxi drivers. I can't even park anywhere without some taxi driver saying "CaaNOot" like he owns that f***en sidewalk. And to get anywhere its like 100 bht - 200bht - 300bht and so on... for a ride that would usually cost 40 bht or less anywhere else....... and the f***ed up thing is some tourists from overseas don't know the difference and pay that much!!!
It costs just as much to rent a motorcycle for the whole day than to pay for a taxi ride ONE way- and the f***ed up thing is most these people don't even know how to ride bikes well and can get themselves killed or seriously injured at the end of the night .... which has happened numerous times to students whom after goin out with buddies round town decide to drive home cos its cheaper than taking the overpriced - stingy-ass taxi drivers
All in favor for HH taxi drivers to cut or standardize their costs say AYE!!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Jermingo, I moved this from Introductions as it doesn't really fit there, plus please mind your language on here (also edited)! However if you would like to say hello to everyone please post again in Introductions. Welcome to the board anyway...
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi there Jermigngo

The problem of finding a parking spot around town which is not occupied by them "Taxi dum" is a very seriouus problem. Hua Him afficinados like me usually Park a few blocks short of the Main Downtown area. It takes a bit of walking but you won't have to confront them Taxi. The Hua HinMunicipality had tried to rgulate them black taxi parkin on the sidewwalk you know but as its gets more every darn year they just dropped the regulation thing and rely for them Taxis to regulate themselves which's clearly ain't happening.
The second problem you adress that the Young Tourists & Foreign Students front the Universities in the surrounding areas don't want to spent their money for Taxi as you mentioned. Well there's nothin we can do unless equip every Taxi with a Taxi meter. If it's gets done I'm pretty darn sure we Thais find a way to manipulate them meters ass well.

Your's The understudy!!'
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
buksida

Post by buksida »

We were actually chatting about this earlier and have come up with a few ideas for the new mayor:

1) Parking meters: These should be all over downtown Hua Hin, long term and residential permits will be available also (though not to taxis). The income from these babies will go back into improving the roads and transportation system.

2) Move ALL the taxis out of town and replace them with a central taxi rank where you can order one and its called in. Only licensed taxis will be accepted and there will be a standard fare for distances printed on a board.

3) Park and ride: setup a car park a couple of kilometers out of town whereby people can leave their vehicles for a small fee and take a free bus into town. I would rather pay 50 baht and do this than spend 30 minutes looking for a parking spot downtown.

4) Congestion charge: this one is a bit extreme but charge anyone 20 baht who wants to drive through the middle of town, active only on long weekends and peak times.

If you can afford a big fat SUV you can afford to pay a little to use the roads!

There you go ... I should have been elected yesterday!!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

taxis

Post by redzonerocker »

buksi;
taxi ranks, park & rides,meters & congestion charges :shock:
you haven't got an uncle ken back in the uk have you? :D :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Who is the new boss? Same as the old boss?

In other words, do we have the same mayor or a different one, today?

Buksi, your ideas are well thought out & might actually work. So, you should know that they will never even be considered by the authorities. Back to the drawing board & this time try to come up with some monumentally expensive & way out scheme that will allow the authorities to get backhanders from all & sundry. Thank you. ;)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I got done 400b parking in soy55 left hand side facing the sea. out side the computer shop and i don't know why.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Perhaps the tea fund needed replenishing?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Nevets

You've scored a double whammy - I think.

Firstly a parking offence only warrants 200THB not 400 - methinks you've been charged the 'farang' price.

Were you parked on the wrong side of the road on the wrong day?

There seems to be an unwritten law on some of the streets of Hua Hin whereby parking is allowed on certain sides of the road on different days of the week.

No signs of course - not even in Thai, as confirmed by Mrs.T
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Different mayor, I'm sure. The incumbent was number 1 and number 2 won it.
Dunno what it means though.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Buksida wrote:
3) Park and ride: setup a car park a couple of kilometers out of town whereby people can leave their vehicles for a small fee and take a free bus into town. I would rather pay 50 baht and do this than spend 30 minutes looking for a parking spot downtown.
Now that would be a good idea; I don't like the idea of punishing drivers with parking fees and congestion charges unless you provide them with an alternative method of getting somewhere.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Terry, you are probably right and the parking was all down both side with allotted spaces and all filled when i parked. I do have a confession to make although the fine was 400 i didn't go in and the MIB was known to my wife she only paid 100. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: so much for me going on about corruption.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Taxis

As in all things, there are good and bad.

We get probably 10% of our business from Taxis and this we welcome.

Like a lot of businesses we 'reward' a taxi driver IF he / she brings us customers with his / her own initiative.

If a customer is not a regular and arrives by taxi, we always enquire how he / she has heard of us. If the answer is a genuine - 'the taxi driver told me about you' - then the taxi gets the incentive.
If a customer says that they already knew of us and just used the taxi as a mode of transport then there is nothing in it for the taxi.

At least - this is how we try to run it. Nevertheless we get the greedy taxis who want the fare from the customer and the incentive all of the time.

The fact is the taxis operate a cartel in Hua Hin with 'fixed' prices for farangs which are at best extortionate, but hey This is Thailand.

Meters would be great but dream on and as for the amount of parking space that they take up in the town centre @&*%$1)*$

We should get Buksi elected as Mayor and allow him to clean up this mess :wink:
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Terry wrote:
We should get Buksi elected as Mayor and allow him to clean up this mess :wink:
:shock: Flashes of Batman and Gotham City
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Another imbuggerance on the streets of Hua Hin at the moment are the yard after yard after yard of motorcycles for rent. We went to cross Damnoern Kasem Road yesterday, and had to make a considerable detour to find a gap.

No consideration for pedestrians at all :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: