Foreigner Population Expolsion

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Foreigner Population Expolsion

Post by Spitfire »

To all, I have thought about this subject many times over the last few years and never really found a definitive answer, so will share with all and see what people think.

I have been coming Thailand on and off for many years but decided to come and live here permanently about 6-7 years ago.

In the tourist hotspots there has always been a lot of foreigners around of course, suppose my point is that, now, almost wherever you go the are many, many around everywhere. Not a good or bad thing, just an observation.

For example, when I first came here I was living in Korat and there were a few foreigners around, mainly Vietnam Vets and the over 45 retired guys, I was pretty much the youngest guy there at 32. Then lived in the middle of nowhere for a few years and met lot of guys living there, some under 25, which surprised me.
Now if you go to Korat you will find that there are loads of people living there, and what is noticable is the age of many now living, work etc. Many are in their early twenties and are staying.

This is the case in almost all of the cities, even the small ones like Roi Et, Loei, Lopburi etc.

This is not just restricted to the cities, if you go to any small village almost anywhere and there foreigners living in the countryside, some pretty young, anywhere you go.

Even in Hua Hin, those that live there have probably noticed this too.

Suppose it's inevitable that this will happen but the speed at which it has happened over the last few years is breath-taking.

-Those that have been here a while will have noticed this surely. Give your thoughts.
-Those that have recently moved, are thinking or planning of moving may well be able to contribute as to 'Why'.

OK, I understand that the cheaper lifestyle, good weather etc is a factor but must be more to it than that.

Not been home for a while but would like to think it has not got so bad that even the youth is fleeing.

Sorry it's so long, but would be interested to know what others think as this one often makes me wonder.

All comments welcome. Can't just be me that has noticed this.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think there is a danger this could become just another thread along the lines of:

'I hate where I live and LOS is a better/cheaper alternative and its where the missus is from'

But agree about Korat, a lot more farangs in a very short period of time. I get the impression some are refugees from other places in LOS and just want a quiter life? They even now exist in the town nearest to where my wife is from. Saw two on my recent visit and there were none two years ago.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

I can only comment on this town as its where I've spent the last 8 years and yes, the number of "semi-permanents" has exploded however they do tend to be older in Hua Hin which has always mainly attracted retirees.

I'd agree with caller in that those going off to lesser known towns are doing it because either thats where their girlfriend is from, they're fed up with the tourist traps or the Lonely Planet has covered it in more than a paragraph.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Agree with both of you.

Just how much it's speeded up recently, and the age of many, not all.

Wondering if anyone has any comments on whether what's going on in the home countries has anything to do with it? Particulary the young guys fleeing.

I hear all kinds of stories. You're in the UK caller, what are they doing to everyone?The young guys have not been here long enough to be cynical with everything yet to seek a quieter town.

Maybe you and Buksi are right, just trying to go somewhere not covered by The Lonely Planet.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I think some don't want to be in falang ghettoes, fair enough.
I also think that TiT and that means money #1.
Korat is much cheaper than Pattaya, Samui, Phuket and HuaHin.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

I can't see the attraction of moving to 'the village', unless it's out of neccessity money-wise.
For one your nearer the family :shock:

I understand certain people don't want to live in a touristy town with McDonalds and the like, but I'd wanna be near for hospitals, proper schools, good shopping etc
If you want to be close to these facilities but live in a quieter farang-free area, a village life amongst Thais, no bars, authentic thai restaurants, a traditional rural bush existence with no shops and away from mainstream civilisation as we know it, people walking around in grass skirts going out hunting for the days food etc, you could try Cha Am.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Super Joe wrote:I understand certain people don't want to live in a touristy town with McDonalds and the like, but I'd wanna be near for hospitals, proper schools, good shopping etc
Surprisingly, cities like Korat have all that!

I agree with your other view about living in a village - I couldn't do it.

Agree about Cha-am as well! :D
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Caller, i was wondering about whether the likes of the bigger places like Korat have as good a hospitals as Petchaburi, schools etc. Never actually been there, only Buriram.
To be fair it wouldn't be hard to better Hua Hin's schools and hospitals.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Spitfire, man of Isaan, trust Kendo in blighty, city pub or trendy bar,£4.00 one bottle of beer not wine, Diesel is now £1.28 litre, people are leaving on mass,everyone is getting dicked in the U.K economy.
You know my wife is from up the road a bit in Surin, and our small city is Prasat, i can not belive how many farangs i see every time i go back, and as for Surin we Have a Big C, Macro, and a large Tesco Lotus all next to each other so there must be a market for all this, not just from the thais that fill there pick ups, up with goods to flog in the village for a very small profit.
Another poster said, about how do you handle living in a thai village, not apealing, well that could be a new thread, but i bet living in an isaan village,is a very differnt from living in other villages around the country and not just the food ! :cheers:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

"I'd like to share a revelation I had during my time here.

It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not.

You move to an area and you multiply until every natural resource is consumed.

The only way you can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus.

Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet."

Agent Smith
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Foreigner Poplutation Explosion

Post by margaretcarnes »

Like Buksi I certainly noticed the explosion in HH between 99 and 2005. Since then there must be many more, and I can see why Spitfire asks the question why.
Kendo I think has skimmed the surface of the discontent here in the UK. The price of beer is an obvious one! More important is that young people just don't see any future here. We have gone through these things on other posts many times, but rising crime, prices, and taxation are part of it. Plus a load of boring jobs in call centres. The prospect of no state pensions - and having to work to the age of 67. The Nanny State mentality. The list becomes boring.
People in their 20s and 30s want the chance of a bit of adventure while they can, and to hell with having to make provision for their old age. Who can blame them? :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Falangs can go and live upcountry but it doesn't mean total isolation.
I certainly wouldn't/couldn't live in Nakhon Buttphuk 50 miles from anywhere but there is a mid-point between the extremes.
When I lived in Khon Kaen there were some decent traditional Thai moobans, with houses both wood and modern, out past the lake near the end of the songthaew lines.
They were 10 mins from Big C, Pizza Hut etc. but miles away in feeling from a city, certainly not a city like Phuket or Pattaya.
I'm sure renting or buying would be a lot cheaper than in the falang areas not to mention the visual bonus of fewer sweaty, pot-bellied alcoholics in dirty tank tops and flip flops. :cheers:
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

As i have said before on here , you don't have to go far to be away from falang land.
I live 45min from HH and 25min from Cha-Am and 30min from Phetchaburi .
Its in Thailand the real Thailand where everything is Thai and we have shops close by and entertainment karaoke style if you want many food outlets , WATS and even a monkey sanctuary with elephant and a tiger. Fishing on the river and walks in the country side if you want. You see just outside your Falangland There is the real Thailand to see and become part of. :cheers:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Have been off-line for a day or two but will answer your question to caller, superjoe.

I think Korat is the second or third biggest city in Thailand, even the Thais disaggree about it and Chang Mai.

Has everything, Bangkok hospital etc, St.Mary's, Assumption etc, huge Mall, farang restaurants.

It is cheaper, big bottle of beer in farang bar still only 70 baht, and it's close to Bangkok( about 250km )

The main problem is that it is not close to the beach so it does not have the same vibe as somewhere like Hua Hin, these places tend to make you feel more optimistic about things, and no sea breeze to cool it down.

Korat is an industrial city, lots of factories on the outskirts, probably why the Thais don't promote it. They would rather have everyone by the beach.

Gets VERY hot March to October(often in the 40's).

Police are not too annally retentive, as in Hua Hin(can't even fart there without getting attention).

Some tourists at certain times of the year but they look as if they have got off at the wrong bus stop.

American soldiers at certain times of the year also, so prices can hike.

Strangley enough, not really any girl bars, suppose because it's conservative central for the Thais and I heard that the Thais only let that happen somewhere there is a lot of tourists.

Some may disagree or have something to add, but that's my take on it in a nut-shell.

But enjoyed living there and still enjoy staying there when I pass through.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

spitfire wrote:Strangley enough, not really any girl bars,
Although funnily enough, the 'Irish' Bar next to the Sima Thani suddenly had an influx of ladies when the Thai air force/army personnel were staying there in April.
Talk is cheap