Electricity cut off

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Electricity cut off

Post by buksida »

A quick word of warning, make sure you pay your electric bill before the due date or they will cut you off without warning.

Ours was paid yesterday, four days over, and in the afternoon they sent someone round to yank the live wires out of the junction box and leave them dangling in the open.

Rewired it myself when I got home that evening as Mrs B assumed it was another power cut.

Fascists :cuss:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

electricity

Post by lindosfan1 »

Apparently they only allow 3 days after the due date before they cut you off. Bit dodgy if you go on holiday at the wrong time. Also you cannot pay your bill at 7/11 if after dur date you have to go to office.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Why not arrange automatic payment?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

johnnyk wrote:Why not arrange automatic payment?
Was wondering the same thing.
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

on bill paying !!!
paid phone bill 4 days ago in 7-11
got automatic phone call to say its not paid

anyone elce have this problem??

still have receipt from 7- 11 guess its a tirp to tot??? :?
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
buksida

Post by buksida »

How do you go about setting that up and can it be done for other bills (phone, water etc)?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

buksida wrote:
How do you go about setting that up and can it be done for other bills (phone, water etc)?
I took my electric bill, bank passbook and passport to the bank and got the proper form, it was 2 facing pages all in Thai.

I signed each side and the bank stamped and/or signed both sides then I took the forms to the electric office past Tesco on the same side of the road.
They stamped/signed both pages and kept one. I took the other page back to my bank and gave it to a person at the service desk who gave it to someone who took it back to the office area. That was it, took about 40 minutes.

Can't speak about water as it comes through my developer (I'm not being ripped off so don't start :mrgreen: ) and I use only a mobile phone.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote:
I have mine with Kasikorn Bank, but the others will do it. Just take your last (paid) account along to the Bank, and fill in some forms. I have had zero problems with mine. They did decline to include the water, as they say you have 3 months grace anyway. TT&T will now also do it for the Internet connection, previously only the telephone. Great peace of mind if you are away etc.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Unfortunately this just makes the situation potentially worse. If you pay in cash and someone is in the house they can shove the receipt in the monkey's face when it comes to yank your wires out.

Mine also got cut off the day before yesterday resulting in the death of my fish worth about 2000 BHT and a few bits from the freezer thawed.

People can spend hours on the phone yapping about trivia but cannot make a simple call saying "If you don't pay within 24 hours we will cut of your supply", or is that too much like common sense.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Guess wrote:
Unfortunately this just makes the situation potentially worse. If you pay in cash and someone is in the house they can shove the receipt in the monkey's face when it comes to yank your wires out.
Surely the whole point of paying by standing order/direct debit/whatever is that the bill is paid on time, therefore there will be no need for anyone (or a monkey? :shock: ) to come round to cut you off. Even here I doubt they do it just for a giggle...

I have some friends from Norway who stay in their house for a couple of months twice a year - the rest of the time it's empty, but as there's a pool the bills don't stop. They pay both electricity and water through the bank and have had no problems whatsoever.
This is the way
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Surely the whole point of paying by standing order/direct debit/whatever is that the bill is paid on time, therefore there will be no need for anyone (or a monkey? :shock: ) to come round to cut you off. Even here I doubt they do it just for a giggle...

I have some friends from Norway who stay in their house for a couple of months twice a year - the rest of the time it's empty, but as there's a pool the bills don't stop. They pay both electricity and water through the bank and have had no problems whatsoever.
Unfortunately the electricity company use a manual system. I have been cut off two weeks after the bill was paid and reinstated after I showed them the bill. Also I have been cut off and not been able to show the bill and had to pay again.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
cozza
Professional
Professional

Post by cozza »

Not sure if anyone would go for this, but I thought I'd post and see if it would benefit anyone anyway.

I know of a Thai man who picks up electricity bills and pays them. He does it in the Huay Sai Tai - Cha am area near Hua Hin for Thai people. He charges a 20 baht fee and gives a full receipt of payment of the bill. The only problem is he doesnt speak English, but I am sure something could be arranged if required.

If anyone is interested pm me and I will try and get his details.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guess wrote: Unfortunately the electricity company use a manual system. I have been cut off two weeks after the bill was paid and reinstated after I showed them the bill. Also I have been cut off and not been able to show the bill and had to pay again.
Agree with that - although you will get a statement from the bank saying you have paid (something) - it doesn't stop the electric company and their archaic records department sending round some pelican on a battered Yamaha to yank out your cables because their 'system' is still stuck in the 70's and can't communicate with the banking technology which is firmly in the 80's.