A BAD GIRL DESERVES BAD THINGS, DOESN'T SHE?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

This is culled from an editorial in todays Nation
By JEERAWAT NA THALANG
jeerawat@nationgroup.com
The Nation
Published on June 14, 2008

Rinlada is a female character in a soap opera titled "Dao Puan Din", which is unofficially translated as "Tainted Star".

Audiences, adults and children alike, are glued to this most-talked-about prime-time drama on Channel 7 from Friday to Sunday. Rinlada is a stereotypical character who does not hesitate to do bad, bad things to her nemesis, Uamdao, the protagonist of the story.

Rinlada obviously has an inferiority complex. She was raised by Uamdao's father as a stepdaugther. She grew up with a devious desire to compete with Uamdao, including trying to steal her boyfriends - the superficial plot in almost every Thai soap and film.

This weekend, Rinlada's fate will be decided. The producer has decided to punish this bad girl by having her raped by 12 men. Women's groups are furious. Palakorn Somsuwan, the producer, defended the decision to honour the original plot, but the most revealing comment comes from Araya A Hargett, the actress who plays this part. She was quoted by Khao Sod as saying: "The soap ends in the way it should. A bad girl deserves bad things." Rinlada will face gang rape to ensure a "happy ending" to this soap.

In fact, the production crew was trying to convince the audience that Rindala "deserves" her fate. Rindala is portrayed as bad. Her father went to jail, and she was brought into a family in which everybody loves Uamdao. Rinlada took at least two of Uamdao's boyfriends and would kill anyone who got in her way. "Tainted Star" is a combination of Hollywood's "Fatal Attraction" and "The Assassin".

The episode in which Rindala successfully seduced one of Uamdao's boyfriends before his wedding to Uamdao saw ratings go through the roof. Audiences were convulsed with anger as they rooted for Uamdao. Rinlada had committed an unforgivable sin. Thus millions are anxious to see how Rinlada will be punished this weekend for her past deeds.

When rumours began spreading that the producers would hand down justice to Rinlada by having her gang-raped, the women's groups asked the producers to change the ending of the story to give the right message to society that rape and sexual assault are serious crimes. The problem, the women say, is that TV producers are suggesting to the audience that crime is acceptable in certain circumstances.

I raised this issue with one of my colleagues, asking whether the fate of Rinlada, albeit fictitious, should be considered a happy ending.

"If so, then there must be something wrong with this society," he replied.

Thais are acting as if they are highly sensitive to anything that affects their "social values", but are we that thin-skinned?

Some conservatives cried out when the Culture Ministry chose the scantily dressed "Girly-Berry" girl group as presenters for the Songkran Festival, but aren't the girls entitled to wear whatever they want as long as they don't break the law? Chotiros Suriyawong, a young actress, had to apologise to the public for wearing too revealing a dress to a Thai awards ceremony equivalent to Hollywood's Oscars, this despite the fact that her dress would pale in comparison to Jennifer Lopez's low-slung V neckline Versace outfit.

The argument from "sensitive" quarters is that "inappropriate" behaviour by young women could increase the number of sexual assaults or rapes. The simplistic rhetoric is that girls should be partly or wholly blamed for acts of aggression against them because of their poor choice of dress, that they are responsible for the circumstances that they put themselves in.

But we haven't heard any argument from these conservative quarters when TV producers try to suggest that sexual assault is acceptable. Such scenes are increasingly shown on TV, even when many young children are still awake and watching. The rating system which appears on the bottom right of the TV screen is a joke.

What is equally sad is that the TV rapists are not branded as bad guys. In "Sawan Beang", a popular TV drama also aired during prime time, the male lead character, played by heart-throb Theeradej Wongpuapan, the Thai version of Brad Pitt, committed rape. In "Sawan Beang" 's final scene, the rapist married his victim and everything was happy-ever-after. I don't know whether it was supposed to be a happy ending or a tragedy that the rapist was not prosecuted for the crime he committed.

The old adage, what comes around goes around, is a popular concept in soap operas. In "Tainted Star", the producers expect that the audience will rise to its feet when the bad girl gets her just deserts and the curtain falls.

But no sane viewer would mind if Rinlada had to go through the legal process and be jailed for some of the acts she committed. The ideal ending would show that there is still justice and redemption. Otherwise no female victim will have any choice but to turn into a bad girl with no opportunity for redemption, just like the protagonist in another classic TV drama, "Hunt".
Now

I know Thailand is a Buddhist country with deep beliefs in karma.

I also know that as a SE Asian country most Thais have a much more conservative attitude to public sexuality than most western societies.

But

Surely Thai people don't really think that sexual assault is EVER acceptable. No matter how "bad" a girl/boy is, or how they dress. Surely they realise that sexual assault is a crime, and one that deserves the full force of the law being applied to its perpetrators.

And surely Thai society, that is so conservative, don't think that broadcasting this sort of stuff in mass media that even kids watch is acceptable whilst at the same time condemning film and music stars for the way they dress.

I remember two examples from the west that seem to fit here:

1) Judge Pickles: A high court judge that, in a rape case he was hearing, implied in his summing up that the girl had deserved the attack because of the way she dressed. He was forced to resign and condemned by the press and public.

2) The film "Last Exit to Brooklyn" in which much the same thing as proposed above happens to a prostitute main character. The film was roundly condemned for its attitude that rape was a logical result of the fact the victim was a prostitute.

I know its a crappy soap opera and conforms to cliched plotlines, but I think that this really is going waaaay to far, and is a sad reflection on a developing world society. I also think its disgusting that its broadcast at times when kids are sure to be watching. What message does Channel 7 think this sends to kids?

Id be interested in peoples opinions, particularly those of Thai members of HHAD.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

sandman,
I agree with you, this doesn't send the right message at all. However, it is very clear from that article that the character is thoroughly bad (commits murder?), so the 'hang 'em high' crowd on HHAD should surely approve that she gets her comeuppance like this? :twisted:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

tv

Post by lindosfan1 »

Wanderlust you have just made the most crass stupid remark I have ever read in any thread.
If you remember from the previous thread sexual offences were condemned with a lot of others.
To suggest that rape is a form of justice or that any of us that did not agree with you would agree with this is sheer stupidity.
I notice you withdrew from the previous thread on prisons why because you know you were wrong.
I was wrong I thought you were intelligent. :cuss: :banghead: :rant:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

lindosfan,
The presence of :twisted: was supposed to indicate that I was intending this as a slightly satirical remark, but i guess the overuse of these things has meant that people never know who is trying to be funny and who isn't now. However, i think I am making a valid point in some ways, but it was by no means directed at you; many of the contributors to the prison thread wrote approving punishments as a form of retribution rather than just punishment, and equally i am sure that many people think that if something nasty happens to someone who has done something 'bad' that they deserve it. In this instance of the bad girl in the TV show (I have never seen it but going on the report) she apparently killed someone, so gang rape might be seen as being let off lightly by some; after all she will still be around to do other bad things won't she? therefore I think it would be hypocritical of some to actually write that they agree with sandman and I in this matter. Is that an intelligent enough answer? :shock:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

And i forgot to add that you know full well why iI withdrew from that other thread, and it was because I was fed up of (a) having to repeat myself, (b0 having to deal with irrelevant points that had nothing to do with where the discussion had gone, and (c)because I saw no further point in continuing in the face of the people who wouldn't read my posts properly.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

WL

s'ok mate....as C88 said I have a well developed sense of acerbic wit and sarcasm....so I took your post in the light it was intended.

lindos

if you have a serious point then make it. If you want to continue your spat with WL do it elsewhere....like the prisons thread (that just turned acrimonious ~ which killed discussion).

As the OP I wanted a discussion on the topic, not a mudslinging exercise. Pack it in or I will ask the mods to lock the sodding thread.

I really would like a Thai HHAD member to explain to me why Thai society would think this is acceptable. entertainment, or suitable prime time viewing..... I want to integrate here and this just has me scratching my head in wonder.

now

back to the discussion..... :cheers:

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

comments

Post by lindosfan1 »

Sandman67 sorry for putting that on your thread. But WL was out of order with his remark. Also I did not have a spat with WL we agreed it was a discussion. I would have made no comment on this thread had it not been for WLs remark.
I withdraw from this thread as I can see the way it is going with his comments
edited threads crosed
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Yeah, sorry sandman. I asked my Thai wife about it, making sure first that she knew about it so I don't spoil the ending (not that that seems to matter here), and she didn't really think much of it, although she knew some people were making a fuss about it. Just my take on it, but it does seem as if TV shows and movies are taken at face value here (as they used to be in the UK) and are not seen as moral guidelines for life. Maybe you (sandman) and I are so used to how things are taken so seriously in the western world that this is an over reaction by us. I guess the nearest western movie that is comparable to this is the one with Jodie Foster (not sure of the name, maybe 'The Accused'?) where she is gang raped in a bar on a pinball machine and initially when she tries to get the perps locked up she is said to have brought it on herself through her sexy dancing and what she was wearing. Not really the same but the closest parallel I can think of. However certain things are seen as taboo on Thai screens, such as any weapon being held to someone's head, alcohol and cigarettes being drunk/smoked, as these are blurred out on Thai channels. Hopefully we will get some of the Thai members responding tomorrow.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Ok, I don't watch Thai TV, and I'm sorry SM I know you wanted views from Thais (and I hope you get them), but the idea of showing a gang rape of a woman on a popular TV show sounds really out of order.

I really can't get my head around the censorship here - blurring out cigarettes, but showing gang rape? I know, from teaching young adults, that these kids are so easily influenced. What the heck is going on? Banning alcohol ads, and hiding up cigarettes in shops, but showing gang rape on a popular TV soap. I give up...

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'm not sure that it would be wise to take Thai Tv soap operas too seriously; I've seen a few and they seen to be a bit detached from reality.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

STEVE G wrote:I'm not sure that it would be wise to take Thai Tv soap operas too seriously; I've seen a few and they seen to be a bit detached from reality.
Couldn't agree more, Steve - mind you, I doubt they're much less real than most British soaps...
This is the way
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I have spoken with my wife on many occasions about these soaps , and she always said its not real its only a movie.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

VS

thanks for that....interesting to have a teachers perspective.

You and some others also raised a point I had missed....why blur out a gun or cigarette yet think its ok to show sexual violence as some form of karmic retribution or acceptable response because a woman does not conform to the conservative norm..... madness.

Steve and DM

as VS says, Thai kids are a lot more easily influenced by mass media than those in the west. Fact. So...whats the message this program will send into their empty heads? Its OK to commit rape as long as its on a bargirl? Its OK to commit rape if you marry the girl after?

I dont watch these mind rotting slices of drivel but Mrs S does.... I see the odd bits here and there.... 3rd rate hammy acted opium for the masses.... but ones that send out dangerous messages it seems.

Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Couldn't agree more, Steve - mind you, I doubt they're much less real than most British soaps...
What you trying to say Dtaii-Maii, Eastenders ain't real ??
Sure Thai soaps are fiction but I know for a fact 'enders is real, cos I watched it for 16 years. Plus if it's made up how come Mark Fowler is in the Guiness book of records for having Aids for 225 years without even getting a foot-wart (I can't spell vvveruka)
I actually went to school with him in North London (won't 'drop' the school name), his real name's Tucker Jenkins, he caught it at school off Trisha Yates but changed his name to Mark Fowler to be anonymnibus at weekends.

SJ (aka Roly)

:offtopic: Anyway sorry back to topic, if anyone sees Zammo tell him to watch out, Gripper's after him
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

sandman67 wrote: as VS says, Thai kids are a lot more easily influenced by mass media than those in the west. Fact.
Thats a pretty bold statement considering the research going on examining imagery to behaviour here in the 'west' - care to elaborate?
Talk is cheap