Phetburi Hospital - How to traumatize a 7yr old

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Phetburi Hospital - How to traumatize a 7yr old

Post by MrPlum »

Sunday morning saw my first visit to Phetburi H. Our 7yr old had a growth on her thumb which could have been triggered by a splinter. Not sure. Anyway she must have had a premonition of what was to come since she started wailing early on. Soothing noises to the effect that 'No. They won't cut off your thumb' had little effect.

Anyway, they put her on a trolley, wrapped her body in a large towel and the hospital rugby team showed up to pin her down. I didn't see the process but the screams were troubling. She now has a deep chunk taken out of her thumb and no doubt an abiding fear of hospitals (probably a good thing).

Total cost including antibiotics, painkiller & cream was 1900 THB.

If there's a next time, the slow method using a cream gets the nod.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are two hospitals in Phet - the government one and the private one (Petcharat), which one did you go to?

Hope your nipper will recover physically and mentally, it can be daunting for them :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Which hospital?

Post by MrPlum »

buksida wrote:There are two hospitals in Phet - the government one and the private one (Petcharat), which one did you go to?
I didn't know that. Posts I read just mentioned the hospital in Phetburi was better than HH.

Based on its condition, I'd have to say government. There's currently roadworks outside.

She seems fine now.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

I think there is road works outside of both. Petcharat is the second hospital, when coming from HH. Petcharat is also not so much to look at.

Recently also had a not so good experience with our 9 yr old at Pecharat.

Had to take her for Rabies and Tetenus injections. Both were done in a very painflu way (I find this quite unusual for Asia, I've always had wonderful injection experiences in Asia). She had to have 4 more Rabies injections, which we did in Bumrungrad in BKK, she was very frightened going for the next one, but it was totally painless, as it should be, and as all the reamining injections were.

It does worry me when they don't even know how to deliver an injection in the correct method.

I think the golden rule, is, if you can, do it in BKK.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....