MAC Address

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

MAC Address

Post by Big Boy »

I've had this window pop up on my computer. I recognise the trusted addresses etc, but don't understand the Unknown addresses. How can I check the Unknown MAC addresses?

I realise that I can block the devices, but don't want to block something that I might need to use.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Big Boy,
The easiest thing to do is work out what is currently connected to your network; you have 5 listed on that screenshot, so that could be a combination of devices - other computers, wireless printers, mobile phones, other wireless devices (gaming stuff?). If you turn off everything you know about and then look at your wireless network, anything listed that shouldn't be there is probably someone stealing your connection and bandwidth! Do you have a WEP or other password protecting your network?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

WL,

A friend bought and installed a wireless (netgear) router on my system when he was visiting just so he could use his laptop around the property. I have now added a security camera so I now have a use for it too.

Can you elaborate on how to password protect the local wireless net as I'm sure mine is not protected.

Thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Wanderlust,

I can't think of anything other than the 3 PCs mentioned that are connected via Radio. When I received the above message, I was in the house alone using my laptop - nothing else was working.

Regarding security, when I installed the wireless router, I chose the most secure connection possible - the password is a randomly generarated, case sensitive, alpha numeric 64 digit string of characters.

I think I'm going to have to block the devices, and see what happens :guns:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:WL,

A friend bought and installed a wireless (netgear) router on my system when he was visiting just so he could use his laptop around the property. I have now added a security camera so I now have a use for it too.

Can you elaborate on how to password protect the local wireless net as I'm sure mine is not protected.Thanks
WL uses a Mac HH so let me comment. Double click on your wireless icon to open it, either the Windows wireless icon if Windows is managing it, or the Intel Pro Wireless icon if you let it manage it. When you get in there go to 'properties' or 'configure' and you'll see the way to secure the system with a password (wp, wp2 security etc.) Once you do this your connection will appear to others trying to get in with a lock next to it. They'll have to know your password to connect. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Pete, thanks for explaining, although I do also use my wife's laptop with XP and I have a separate boot of XP available on my Mac if I ever come across something that is Windows only and I need it (about once every two years), or there is a game I fancy that isn't available for the Mac (more often). Vista though I don't have much clue with although I imagine things like that are very similar.

Big Boy,
Unfortunately however good your security and password is, they can all be broken eventually and there are bits of software that have been written to do this. Instead of blocking you could just try changing the password and see what happens, making sure of course that the other legit users know the new one!
baron_wastelanduk
Professional
Professional

mac

Post by baron_wastelanduk »

easiest way to protect yr network is just add the mac address of the devices you want to connect and that way everything else wont
u can find yr NIC mac addresss by going to command prompt and typing in ipconfig /all
that will list yr wireless card if u have and also ur 10/100 card mac addresses
then log on to yr router add in those mac addresses and bingo network secure
CDK

there are three sorts of people in this world those that can count and those that cant
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

WL uses a Mac HH so let me comment. Double click on your wireless icon to open it, either the Windows wireless icon if Windows is managing it, or the Intel Pro Wireless icon if you let it manage it. When you get in there go to 'properties' or 'configure' and you'll see the way to secure the system with a password (wp, wp2 security etc.) Once you do this your connection will appear to others trying to get in with a lock next to it. They'll have to know your password to connect. Pete
Thanks Pete, will give that a try!