Safe Tap Water

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Right, I won't drink the bottled water in the big white bottles ever since I got one that smelled and tasted like gasoline. Since that time I drink the 5 liter store bought and factory sealed bottles by Nestle, Singha, Minere, Tesco, etc., only.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

To continue this in case questions, when my daughter's school suddenly switched to the solid white jug water, it was not any foreigners who raised the alarm but all of the Thai Mother's of the students, who went totally nuts. That tells you a lot.

I got involved as a go-between to discuss it with the school management. They thought as many do that bottled or jug water is just that regardless of price and who sells it. They really didn't think too much concerning TIT. This all led to the tests conducted.

Yes, many of you and others probably drink solid white jug water daily for years and have no problems. Great. Little kids are a different subject and it is not pure water in most cases, so why risk it.

As far as boiling tap water, you kill the bacteria but don't get rid of the chemicals and heavy metals. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Thinking of getting something similar to this:

http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=265

Will read that report further up now.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'll post a label photo tomorrow Jimmy of the big bottled we use. I don't think I have their documentation anymore as we've used them for more than 5 years now. We even used it for our daughter's formula when she was an infant with no problems, although the Mrs insisted on boiling it once further and steaming the bottles. We asked her pediatrician about the company and she gave the thumbs up.

I do recall their process is similar to what is stated for the device you linked to, but it appears your device is perhaps even more comprehensive. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Safe Tap Water

Post by margaretcarnes »

Rolf - I used tap water for brushing teeth in LOS for over 5 years, without even tummy upsets - but always always rinsed with Listerine, or the local stuff which has the same shaped bottle and is probably as effective.
For small cuts and grazes its easy to carry around a tiny tube of antibiotic cream all the time. Especially during rainy season. Most infections from cuts are probably due to wading through dirty water in the streets, or by showering without treating and covering a cut first.
Its so easily done. Last year I had a very small graze on a toe. forgot to put cream on it, and ended up with a foot like a balloon. The bathroom drain was blocked and dirty water backing up.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As mentioned last night, here is the water we use. Appears to be a 18.9 liter jug, not 12-15 as I stated. I think they only distribute in Rayong and Chonburi but there are many companies like this. Interesting to note they have a Water Quality Board registration number. I need to look into this further to see if any information. Pete :cheers:

PET
Legend
Legend

Drinking Water

Post by PET »

I use tap water generated from the well at our small development for cleaning my teeth.

I use the solid plastic 12 bht containers for cooking, and after boiling also use this water for the ice maker and mixing with Electrolytes when playing sport etc

Otherwise I use Minere for drinking and after 4 years have had no problems whatsoever, although having been brought up in East Africa perhaps my stomach is more hardened than most.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

I use tap water for cleaning my teeth and for cooking, never had a problem. Bottled water for drinking.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

JimmyGreaves wrote:Thinking of getting something similar to this:

http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID=265

Will read that report further up now.
JimmyGreaves :)

We purchased a similar 6 filter system from Home Pro back in 2001 and had it fitted below the salad sink, on the island worktop in the kitchen.
Cannot remember the make but it cost then about 18K Baht.

This system had a small silent pump, that worked on the pressure drop of the small bore tap when it was opened. The holding tank was a lot bigger than the one in the pic (the size of a 19kg gas bottle) and held about 18 litres of filtered water.

The power was stepped down to 12v via a transformer/stepper (included) so cost next to nothing to run.

As it was fully automatic and included a reverse flush, which sent a blast of water back through the system and out to the drain point every day, you don't have to do anything, other than change the filters.

We always used this water for washing salad veg and for the ice/drinking water system in the fridge.

The filters need changing about every 6-9 months depending on use.

The only problem with these systems is, if you go away for several months and the filters system is not used, it is advisable to strip it down and flush it out and also drain the tank. Only a five minute job and stops any bacteria growing in the pipes.

The water tasted good and not much chance of picking up a bug, as the reverse osmosis and ultra violet filters killed them off.

Well worth the money IMHO. :cheers:

Edited by self to include line on power supply.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
PET
Legend
Legend

Drinking Water

Post by PET »

Bht 18,000 seems a lot when the plastic containers are bht 12, and as it was 8 years ago it would surely be more now.

I use one container a week so on the original cost it would take me 29 years to get my money back?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Drinking Water

Post by JimmyGreaves »

PET wrote:Bht 18,000 seems a lot when the plastic containers are bht 12, and as it was 8 years ago it would surely be more now.

I use one container a week so on the original cost it would take me 29 years to get my money back?
I don't trust the 12 baht water, even though currently we are using them, sometimes the water tastes very off especially when not ice cold. Have to take into account the convienience of not having to hunt for the water also. middle of the night no decent water, ahhh ok it's on tap.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Drinking Water

Post by Khundon1975 »

PET wrote:Bht 18,000 seems a lot when the plastic containers are bht 12, and as it was 8 years ago it would surely be more now.

PET :)

Yes it was a bit pricey but reading previous posts on water delivered in 25 Ltr bottles (frosted or clear type) and the quality of the water in them, I feel it is money well spent.

We were not looking to get our money back, just want to drink safe water.

You may well save 18k by avoiding a trip/stay in hospital. :thumb:

My wife, like most Thais, doesn't seem to be affected by "bad water", unfortunately I am and would do anything to avoid the problem.

The one listed on JG's post runs out at approx Baht 16000 and maybe it would work in Thailand.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I'm sure the one that I listed will be fine here, it's manufactured in Taiwan and the filters replacements and UV bulb can be sourced here.
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Mains tap water for teeth, washing, cooking etc.
Bottled water for drinking, except for making tea coffee as its been boiled. No problems at all.
Maybe because its mains water, not from tank ?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Safe Tap Water

Post by margaretcarnes »

Unless you have your own well Niggle the tank water will be fed from the mains anyway.
But there's bound to be an amount of gunge and bacteria build up in tanks which can't be treated. The open settlement tanks demonstrate this very well - but at least can be cleaned out.
At least a direct feed isn't sitting around festering, but by the same argument water drawn from the top of a settlement tank leaves gunge behind.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.