Isan visit

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
mo1

Isan visit

Post by mo1 »

we are planing a visit to isan in the next few weeks I would apreciate any suggestion as to the must see/ must do in the area the plan is for about a week? however it is all very flexible at this stage
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Issan is a pretty big place. It would help if you be could be more specific.
However, if you're around the southern part of it, Prasat Hin Phanom Rung (sic) in Buriram province is regarded as the best preserved Khmer temple in Thailand. Well worth a visit, IMO. The views from the top of the hill over the Dongrek hills into Cambodia are spectacular.
Alternatively, in the north there's Nong Khai. The flavour there is French and it's on the Mekong. You can travel around the river to the west and find jems of places such as Chiang Khan.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Welcome to the forum Mo1, You should get a few decent comments on this as there are some members that live in Isaan and many more that have experience of the place.

For my bit then I'd say "It depends", what is you situation? If you are with a Thai girlfriend/wife then it'll be easier than if you are a western couple. What I mean is that Isaan is a very diverse place with both ends of the spectrum. You have cities like Korat, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani etc which have everything you could want like malls/restaurants/decent hotels/7-11s/touristy things to see etc but it changes dramatically once you leave the main cities, that's when you are better off if you can speak Thai or are with one.

If you are starting from BBK or south of the capital then you're probably going to end up going through Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima), good place to start you off in a relaxed fashion, big city (No.2 or No.3) in Thailand, got everything. Plenty of places like Phi Mai (Khmer historical ruins) etc and all the familar stuff you would expect. Khon Kaen is a couple of hours up the main road and Udon Thani is a couple of hours past that.

If you only have a week or so then there is of course a limited amout that you can see but it's amazing how quickly it all becomes very rural when you leave the cities.

If you can then I'd go to a smaller city in Isaan for a day or to for the simple reason that you will certainly see the real Thailand in that area but it will give you an insight into where a lot of the Thais you will meet in the cities come from, not all but a fair few, and will gain some understanding of them and the countryside culture. I'd suggest somewhere like Buriram/Roi et/Mahasarakham/Sisakhet/Kalasin for a night or two, OK some of those are quite deep into Isaan but it'll sure show you the real side of it and if you are with a Thai woman then it's cool.

If you are a western couple then the above will be more challenging unless you've been here a long time, can speak Thai and Lao (Isaan is a mix of the two) or are up for a serious adventure.

If it's your first time and don't have a lot of time then just breeze through the main cities, will give you a taste/flavour of the culture/food/lifestyle in that part of Thailand.

Oh, generally pretty hot and dusty up there as well. Could go on with this post for a long time but better to leave you to find some of it out for yourself. Have a look in the guide books for lists of hotels where you are, they're useful for that, and just tell the tuk-tuk or taxi to take you there, once there then you can plan what to do. You'll also find that it's generally cheaper in Isaan than a lot of other places for stuff like beer, food and accomodation.

:thumb:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Spitfire wrote: "Oh, generally pretty hot and dusty up there as well..."

If you're going up there in a few weeks' time, you'd be better off taking a pullover or jacket with you because the evenings and nights will likely be quite chilly this time of year.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes Mo1, give us some idea of which part of Issan you're going to and if it's near my place in Nong Ki I'll give you some places to visit.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

As others have said, I think you have to tell us a bit more of your plans to be able to give you some input.
Remember that Isaan is half the size of Germany or around 160.000 km2.
It's a huge area with different cultures and languages.
Not only Thai and Lao are spoken, but also Khme,r each with a variety of dialects.

As Spitfire points out if you are a western couple, you have to be able to communicate in one of the languages or do the travelling in company with a English speaking tourist guide/driver.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I saw the sun rise over Chiang Khan - I'll never forget it. http://www.thaiworldview.com/lao/isan17.htm
and:
http://www.geckogo.com/Attraction/Thail ... ical-Park/
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

If you have the time and inclination try Lanna country in the NW ie. Chiengmai up to the Lao and Burmese borders.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I saw the sun rise over Chiang Khan - I'll never forget it.
Lomu, that's where my wife is from! We are in the process now of looking for land there to build our next house!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
mo1

Post by mo1 »

thanks everyone for your input, Iam traveling with my thai wife and we had in the past seen a lot of the north part ie, chaingmai, chiangrai, nan,
the golden triangle my wife comes from nan as for time spent in isan we are flexiable
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

My wife is from Khorat. I've spent a fair amount of time in pickup trucks with her famiily diving through Issan. I liked everything along the Mekong from Nong Khai down to Mukdahan and then over to Phimai on our return to BKK.

:thumb: