how to make a front-yard garden look nice?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
jimmyray
Novice
Novice

how to make a front-yard garden look nice?

Post by jimmyray »

Hi,
The only spot I have in my yard that is sunny enough for a vegetable garden is right on the edge of the front yard. Any ideas on how to make a front-yard garden look nice? Mine is the first house in the subdivision, so anyone entering the neighbourhood will see it.
Last edited by jimmyray on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

how to make a front yard look nice?

Post by margaretcarnes »

You could try building raised beds - railway sleepers make good edging but are hard to come by - but something like that which isn't cemented in so is easy to dismantle if necessary.
There's also the advantage of having more depth for a half decent compost and irrigation. Full sun though could make growing more Western type plants and veg tricky. I tried tomatoes from seed on the patio and they germinated too quickly, went leggy and died, despite some shade. Maybe storing seeds in the fridge first would help? Or maybe a cloche would provide humidity - and more moisture.
There are expats who have grown some veggies very successfully though - it might help if you know what type of plants you want.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

plants in small or big pots put together can look nice , and can be taken to the next house if you move. :)
Poe

Post by Poe »

Pay my GF to do it.....she has done a pretty good job with ours.
When Chuck Norris does a push up, he isn't pushing himself up, he is pushing the earth down.