The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by PeteC »

Royal Enfield setting up 10 more shops to earn sales

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1 ... earn-sales

Indian mid-sized motorcycle manufacturer Royal Enfield plans to generate sales by adding 10 stores in Thailand next year despite the sluggish market caused by the pandemic impact.

Siddhartha Lal, managing director of Eicher Motors, which oversees the Royal Enfield brand, said the company aims to become No.1 in the global mid-sized motorcycle segment, emphasising daily riding and leisure purposes.

"In Thailand Royal Enfield began with one store for three years. The company now has 26 stores and plans to expand to 36 by March 2021," he said.

The spread of the coronavirus affected the Thai motorcycle market, which decreased by 22% between April and July.

The market has started to pick up since June, said Royal Enfield chief executive Vinod K Dasari.

He said international markets have been performing very well and Royal Enfield's global strategy has been successful.

The company has more than 600 stores across 60 countries including 77 exclusive stores in nodal cities across the world.

In Asia-Pacific, where 103 stores have opened, Royal Enfield is focused on retail expansion. The store network grew by 50% in priority markets across the region.

In 2019, the company announced Thailand would be its second production facility after the local market responded well to mid-sized motorcycles.

Royal Enfield plans to open an assembly factory for bikes in Chachoengsao during April to June 2021.

The manufacturer signed a contract with a local vehicle assembler, United Auto, to operate the factory at Gateway City Industrial Estate in the province. The initial assembly capacity is 1,200 units a year, based on Royal Enfield's sales in Thailand of roughly 100 motorcycles a month.

Vimal Sumbly, head of business in Asia-Pacific for Royal Enfield, said sales increased from 889 in the first year to 3,146 motorcycles in the fourth year.

The company sold 3,146 motorcycles last year, increasing from 1,487 sold in 2018. From the 2018-19 fiscal year to 2019-20, the company's retail grew by 112%.

Royal Enfield's market share stands at 5.5% in the mid-sized motorcycle segment (250-750cc) in Thailand.

"We also had 321 bookings during the 41st Bangkok International Motor Show," he said.

Bookings increased despite the impact of the outbreak. Last year, the company received 314 bookings at the event.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good news, they may be targeting the sub-400cc market that will negate the need for another license.

RE's are a lot more affordable than others that are assembled here such as Triumphs. I rode one in Nepal and it was a tank, very well put together machine.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I see a lot of Royal Enfields in Europe now, there's one parked just around the corner from where I live and it does look good, all black with just a small gold logo on the tank.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Our neighbour in the UK had a friend come round on a Royal Enfield a few weeks ago. It looked good, from a distance, in its matte green battle dress. Up close, it’s nothing short of agricultural and takes motorbikes back half a century.

Probably great if all you want is a cheap, go anywhere bike that can be repaired at the side of the road (if you can find one) with a can-opener and a shoe.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Harley-Davidson to exit world's biggest bike market

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54290245

Harley-Davidson is pulling out of India, the world's biggest motorcycle market.

The iconic US motorcycle brand is stopping manufacturing and massively scaling back its sales operations.

Harley's decision comes weeks after Toyota said it wouldn't expand further in India due to the country's high tax regime.

The exit is a blow for Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's efforts to lure or retain foreign manufacturers.

Harley's departure involves $75m (£59m) in restructuring costs, around 70 redundancies and the closure of its Bawal plant in northern India.

The plant was opened in 2011 but Harley-Davidson has struggled to compete with local brand Hero as well as Japan's Honda.

About 17 million motorcycles and scooters are sold each year in India.

More setbacks
While it is cheaper than many other developing economies, India has proven a tough market to crack for foreign automakers.

General Motors pulled out of the country in 2017 while Ford agreed last year to move most of its assets into a joint venture with Indian vehicle giant Mahindra & Mahindra.

US President Donald Trump has previously complained about India's high taxes, specifically mentioning the levies placed on Harley-Davidson bikes.

India's import tariffs were slashed by 50% but the brand has still struggled in the competitive market.

Harley has also been suffering its own problems and recorded its first quarterly loss in more than a decade between April and June this year.

It has been cutting hundreds of jobs under its new chief executive Jochen Zeitz and focusing on core markets and models.

Harley History
The iconic US motorcycle brand was founded in 1903 and has built a very loyal customer base. It has owners' clubs all over the world.

It hit the global stage in 1969 thanks to the classic road movie Easy Rider starring Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Jack Nicholson.

Its bikes, nicknamed "hogs", are also made in factories in the US, Brazil and Thailand.

Harley has been looking to grow the brand beyond baby boomers in the US, with smaller models and all-electric versions.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

More on Royal Enfield setting up manufacturing in Thailand.

https://bangkokherald.com/business/roya ... choengsao/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big bike riders set to face tough tests
The Land Transport Department has issued new criteria for big bike riders, saying they must bring medical certificates when applying for a driving licence.

Yongyut Nakdaeng, deputy director-general of the department, said on Wednesday the ministerial regulation on the application, issuance and renewal of driving licences requires big bike riders to have more training and tests.

Medical certificates for driving licence application and renewal must prove that the driver does not have congenital diseases or symptoms that medical professionals deem unsafe for riding.

The department would work with the Medical Council of Thailand to define the diseases or symptoms that big bike riders must prove they don't have, Mr Yongyut said.

Apart from the prohibited diseases in the old regulation, new prohibited diseases which are being considered are epilepsy, diabetes, high-blood pressure, bipolar disorder, autism and a height of less than 90 centimetres.

The medical certificates will be applicable for the application and renewal of all types of driving licences -- for personal cars, motorcycles and public vehicles.

The ministerial regulation on the application, issuance and renewal of driving licences will be effective on Feb 19.

The deputy director-general said big bike riders would have to present a health certificate when they renew their licences since their physical fitness deteriorates as they age. They might have diseases or other health conditions that prevent them from riding a big bike safely, he said.

Training and tests for big bike riders were being formulated, he said.

The government stepped up rules as the vehicles presented a high risk of road accidents, he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ough-tests
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

800_58643969ece86b4.jpg
800_58643969ece86b4.jpg (378.77 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Royal Enfield’s new Meteor 350 roars into 37th Thailand Motor Expo

https://www.nationthailand.com/auto/30398915

Royal Enfield, global leader in the mid-size (250-750cc) motorcycle segment, is showcasing its iconic motorcycles at the much-anticipated 37th Thailand International Motor Expo 2020, Impact Challenger Hall 3, Muang Thong Thani. Included in the display is the firm’s recently launched Meteor 350, an easy-cruiser motorcycle.

"We are delighted to showcase the very first 350cc motorcycle from Royal Enfield for the Thai market,” said Vimal Sumbly, Asia-Pacific head of business for Royal Enfield.

“Our motorcycles have received an excellent response in Thailand right from the very start, and Thailand is our No 1 market within the APAC region.

“Thailand is the third home for the brand after the UK and India. The Meteor 350 is the latest in a planned series of new models, building on the enormous success of the 650 Twin models that we launched two years ago."

Royal Enfield boasts 30 outlets across Thailand – 15 exclusive showrooms and 15 authorised service centres. By March 2021, it expects to have 36 stores, making the brand more accessible to motorcycling enthusiasts.

The 37th Thailand International Motor Expo runs from December 2-13 at Impact.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

India's love affair with classic British motorbikes

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54997191. (Photos)

Classic British motorbike maker BSA announced last month the brand was being revitalised under its Indian billionaire owner, continuing a growing trend.

Another famous British bike brand - Norton - was taken over by an Indian firm earlier this year with equally ambitious growth plans.

They follow in the footsteps of the historic Royal Enfield, which is enjoying success under new Indian ownership.

Business experts are not surprised: Indian manufacturers are known for liking to buy into well-known but struggling brands in the hope of turning them around..... (Continued at link)
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know its a long shot as there are not many bikers on here ...

Has anyone had any dealings with Royal Enfield Hua Hin? They just held an open/test ride day on March 27.

The Meteor looks like a great little bike for the price and comes in under any new 'big bike' license requirements. May go for a test ride myself!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Spares, does anyone know where crashed motorbikes go in Hua Hin, I have a 2017 PCX 150 and I am looking for some plastic parts. I know it's a long shot but the new prices are horrendous.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Harley-Davidson hits new milestone with Pan America 1250

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... erica-1250 (A few photos at link)

There is a lot of speculation about why Harley-Davidson wants to make an adventure touring model that doesn't match the rest of its line-up, which is all about the Sportsters and Touring bikes.

The answer is that Harley-Davidson started to make changes by developing the Milwaukee-Eight engine a few years ago to make its bikes friendlier for all riders as well as improve the power and electronics across all models.

After launching the Softail family, the company unveiled the great touring fleet and now the all-new Pan America 1250 Special Touring Adventure with a brand new liquid-cool V-Twin 1250cc engine. The design still follows the mini shark nose, which I like because, after all, this is Harley-Davidson.

The Bangkok Post team created a test ride route somewhere in Nong Ya Plong in Phetchaburi Province. I love the idea of not only testing the Pan America but the chance to make this story a documentary. Nothing is more perfect than riding with a cowboy.

Let's get into the riding.

After warming the engine for a few minutes and then revving the rpms just a little, the engine is not quiet and doesn't sound like other HD models. The riding modes are easy to use -- Auto, Sport, Road, Rain, Offroad and Offroad Plus.

With a 1.75m tall plus Timberland booth, only one foot can be placed firmly on the ground. For short riders, automatic adjustable seating available.

The Pan America is easy to handle. Although the engine is not as smooth as the BMW R1200 GS, it does have its own character.

The bike is good on the tarmac but many people are interested in its performance on gravel.

Trying the Offroad Mode and riding on low rpm, the torque is good as usual. The traction control works nicely if you want to play it safe. However, since there was a canal along our ride, I couldn't switch off traction control while the bike was moving. Instead, I needed to stop first to turn it off. When riding through water, both my legs could not snatch onto any part of the frame, so I had to use my knees and press the foot peg. I think using endure boots can help when it comes to standing and riding on gravel roads.

The bike's grip to the ground does not have an understeer, which usually causes problems for a heavy bike like this, but it was enough to make me feel comfortable. Also, thanks to the design of the new chassis and frame, I can now push it a little further on muddy surfaces and it performs well. After getting used to the bike, I give it a good grade when it comes to adventure riding that involves climbing hills and making turns.

On a freeway, going 100-120kph is comfortable but it is also outstanding at 160kph to pass other vehicles. The Pan America is outstanding in this manner. Feeling safe is the key. Also, it's not too hard to do a wheelie.

Besides endurance riding, I also tried it in the city. Riding through heavy traffic within Bangkok gave me a clear understanding of what the Pan America can do. It's very friendly and at 255kg for an adventure bike, it is well-balanced and easy to control. The heat from the engine didn't cause any problem.

But for short rides, it will have a hard time, especially when going at slow speeds or parking on slopes.

I don't really like the cable clutch that comes with the bike. I prefer hydraulic clutches because the cable always needs to be readjusted after using it for a while. Also, it is annoying how difficult it is to find the neutral gear.

Overall, I love the balance and design of the Pan America. The bike doesn't look bulky. The centre stand works well and this is important to me. The new V-Twin 60-degree engine is powerful for touring and cornering. The power at low to medium range is more than enough when it is time to climb hills with narrow roads.

This bike makes me want to ride to Chiang Rai now.
SPECIFICATION

Pan America 1250 Special at 952,000 baht

Displacement: 1,251cc
Power: 150hp
Torque: 94 ft-lbs
Engine layout: 60-Degree V-Twin
Final Drive: Chain
Weight (fully fuelled): 559lbs
Fuel tank volume: 5.6gal
TFT instrument: 6.8"
Seat height: 33.4"-34.4", 32.7"-33.7" ARH
Suspension: 7.5" Travel Front/Rear, Semi-active damping with electronic preload adjustability
Wheels: Cast wheels 120/70 R19, 170/60 R17, Tubeless spoke option
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Can you imagine the confusion and panic if you pulled in to the Thai DMV to get a license plate for this? :shock:

_121238224_img_spec.jpg
_121238224_img_spec.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

Start-up launches £495,000 hoverbike in Japan

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59065674

A Japanese start-up is hoping to convince motorists to swap their cars for a $680,000 (£495,000) hoverbike.

ALI Technologies' XTurismo Limited Edition went on sale in Japan, earlier on Wednesday.

Electronics giant Mitsubishi and footballer Keisuke Honda are two backers of the Tokyo-based company.

ALI Technologies says the hoverbike can fly for 40 minutes at up to 100km/h (62mph) on a single charge.

The company aims to have manufactured 200 single-rider 300kg (47-stone) hoverbikes by mid-2022.

Each is equipped with a conventional engine and four battery-powered motors.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BMW R nineT Urban G/S "40 Years GS Edition"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... dventurers (More photos at link)

4130475.jpeg
(115.41 KiB) Downloaded 756 times

BMW Motorrad Thailand is marking 40 years of its GS family by introducing a limited edition of the BMW R nineT Urban G/S "40 Years GS Edition", inspired by the R 100 GS. This exclusive model has a unique black and yellow paint finish and is only available in Thailand.

R nineT Urban G/S "40 Years GS Edition" retains a distinctive look with milled Option 719 cylinder head covers, Option 719 seat holders, seats in black and yellow, yellow hand protectors, and a chrome-plated manifold -- all of which underscore the detailing and precision of this model. The bike's off-road capabilities, Cross Spoke wheels II, off-road tyres and raised Scrambler silencer complete the look of 40 years of GS' eventful history.

It comes with an iconic air/oil-cooled boxer engine that has been enhanced to meet the EU-5 pollutant class standard. Its peak power output is now tuned to 80kW (109 hp) at 7,250rpm, while the maximum torque is 116Nm at 6,000rpm. Newly designed cylinder heads and newly designed throttle valve parts and cylinder head covers.

My favourite part is Riding Modes Pro, which is now included as standard in all R nineT urban G/S models. This Dirt Mode allows greater stability of the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and engine drag torque control (MSR). The engine set-up is geared towards optimum throttle response, with DTC and ABS Pro brake systems set up for road use with high frictional values for maximum safety during acceleration.

Meanwhile, engine drag torque control (MSR) reduces dangerous rear-wheel stamping to a minimum when braking and downshifting simultaneously, ensuring the motorcycle stays precisely on track. Another newly added standard feature in the R nineT models is a new suspension strut which now has travel-dependent damping (WAD). In addition, an easily accessible handwheel now allows convenient adjustment of the spring preload on the suspension strut.

For a more modern touch, the indicator lights are now "invisible" when not illuminated. A full adaptive LED headlamp -- including daytime running light and white indicator lights in LED technology -- are also equipped in the R nine T Urban G/S "40 Years GS Edition". The extended range of standard equipment in the R nineT models is supplemented with a USB charging socket.

For riders who love boxer engines but feel that the body of GS Adventure is too bulky, the R nineT Urban G/S will be the only one for you or at least for now.

At 899,000 baht, there are only nine units available of The BMW R nineT G/S "40 Years GS Edition".
buksida

Post by buksida »

900K :shock:

I can get 2 Ducatis for that. :duck: