Premier League 2021-22

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2021-22

Post by caller »

Chelsea had 7 players out with covid plus injuries when forced to play. I believe, but stand to be corrected, the only team to have such a refusal in the premiership. I also believe it to be the case that Chelsea are the only Permier team not to have a game cancelled due to covid. Again, I could be wrong.

We have already recalled Kenedy from his loan spell, I would also like to see Gallagher recalled from Palace and Broja from Southampton. Gilmour is injured. Tuchel said a meeting would be held to discuss the situation and the need to recall players.

I don't know where the Premier League have come up with Africa from, as Liverpool and others are also affected. It has always been accepted by the clubs, that it is a consequence of signing players that represent such Countries and their absence is accepted. In my opinion, it should not be used as a reason to cancel games. It is unfair on those that are expected to put a team out without such an excuse.
Talk is cheap
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

caller wrote:Chelsea had 7 players out with covid plus injuries when forced to play. I believe, but stand to be corrected, the only team to have such a refusal in the premiership. I also believe it to be the case that Chelsea are the only Permier team not to have a game cancelled due to covid. Again, I could be wrong.

We have already recalled Kenedy from his loan spell, I would also like to see Gallagher recalled from Palace and Broja from Southampton. Gilmour is injured. Tuchel said a meeting would be held to discuss the situation and the need to recall players.

I don't know where the Premier League have come up with Africa from, as Liverpool and others are also affected. It has always been accepted by the clubs, that it is a consequence of signing players that represent such Countries and their absence is accepted. In my opinion, it should not be used as a reason to cancel games. It is unfair on those that are expected to put a team out without such an excuse.
Agreed. Which is why we played you at the Bridge recently when we had such a problem with Covid/injuries that 2 of our players had never played first team football before, not even as a sub. We got on with it. (Since had about 2 or 3 games cancelled on us).

Amazing to think now we got a draw!!

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Much more important than whether clubs are flouting the rules or not, how about the survival chances of Rafa at Everton (i.e. more than this week) and can the “richest” club in the world (Newcastle) avoid relegation?
1. Everton- will sack Rafa tomorrow or after the emergency meeting. So zero chance IMO

2. Newcastle - "can" they survive the drop? Of course, its possible. I suspect your Q. is really 'will' they?

Truth is I don't know, or rather I don't have a strong feeling for it. I kind of think they might just get out of it. And probably at the expense of Everton who crucially they play twice in a short space of time soon, with Chris Wood heading the winning goals!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

All of the teams in the drop zone need to put a string of results together if they’re to avoid the drop, but at the moment none of them seem capable of doing so - it looks like getting dirty come May!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

There are supporters of various teams on this forum and until now the banter has been quite good natured. Lost has taken the hate and rage to a whole new level, he needs to calm down.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

caller wrote
We have already recalled Kennedy from his loan spell, I would also like to see Gallagher recalled from Palace
We would rather you didn't he plays well for us. :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

arcadianagain wrote:There are supporters of various teams on this forum and until now the banter has been quite good natured. Lost has taken the hate and rage to a whole new level, he needs to calm down.
I think hate and rage are very strong words and certainly do not describe what I'm reading from Lost. If they did I wouldn't any part of this thread.

He's forthright and opinionated about his 'cause' but it's a forum for exchanging said opinions.

He's upset about something that most Prem League fans are angry about too.

Football by its very nature is very emotive but personally I think he's on the right side of the line.

Just my opinion

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

arcadianagain wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm There are supporters of various teams on this forum and until now the banter has been quite good natured. Lost has taken the hate and rage to a whole new level, he needs to calm down.
I'm assuming this is some sort of sarcasm/satire/humour?

If not... put the drink down for today, fella. You've had enough. :wink:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif (418.98 KiB) Viewed 277 times
:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 pm Everton- will sack Rafa tomorrow or after the emergency meeting.
I think you're right there, colonel. From reports I'm reading, there doesn't seem to be any way back for him. Had a fan run on to the pitch yesterday trying to get at him! 😂

I'd be very surprised if he's still in charge for your next game.

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

arcadianagain wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm There are supporters of various teams on this forum and until now the banter has been quite good natured. Lost has taken the hate and rage to a whole new level, he needs to calm down.
Sorry arcadianagain, to come back to your post, I just went back through my posts to try understand this 'hate and rage' you talk about. Was unsure for a moment if I had said something particularly nasty that I should apologise for. Aside from just posting some facts on the arsenal issue, I can't identify what has ruffled your feathers.

If it's the use of 'plonker' or saying Arsenal are a 'disgrace' then I apologise for the offending language. 'Hate' and 'rage' is certainly not how I intended my posts to come across.

Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I’d agreed, Lost had lost it with this issue l, but happy to accept that tue decision has defo gone in Arsenal’s favor here.

But who is to blame? Arsenal for their appeal or the Premier League for approving it?

Rules are there to be broken in football these days and with so much at stake for clubs, manager and players, a governing body with a strong hand is needed to rule.

The calls for ‘disgrace’ should not be aimed at Arsenal, but at the Premier League in general.

I get it though Lost…if you can’t win a trophy, then try your best to claim some sort of moral victory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Just because I love harping on about subjects I know little or nothing about :oops: ...... My understanding is: -

- There's simply far too much money and BS in the sport - especially the Premier League.
- The powers that be have introduced a new rule in order to minimise the effect of Covid on clubs, which is open to abuse.
- Arsenal have taken full advantage and made a somewhat debatable application for a postponement - which has been agreed to. Yep, Arsenal have pretty much extracted the urine, but this could have been stopped in it's tracks by the governing body.
- Top teams are extremely rich and have IMO huge squads and should be able to field a team regardless - again, it all comes down to money.
- As has been inferred earlier in the thread, clubs seem to wield too much power, the governing body is too weak or dare I say easily lead?

I know I am biased towards rugby, but just to go back to a comparison (if possible) with respect to Covid. After a complete fiasco in South Africa, Cardiff Rugby players, coaches and Management were forced into isolation both in SA and upon their return to the UK - 40+ people!! They still managed to field a team however for the following two matches, fielding some returning from injury, semi-pro's, academy players and even the bloody GROUNDSMAN (retired Cardiff player)!! :shock:

Yes, they suffered significant losses against two top teams, but in actually playing the matches gained huge respect, put some coffers in the bank and gave many of the players much needed game time and match experience. I for one applaud them!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 pm
Sorry arcadianagain, to come back to your post, I just went back through my posts to try understand this 'hate and rage' you talk about. Was unsure for a moment if I had said something particularly nasty that I should apologise for. Aside from just posting some facts on the arsenal issue, I can't identify what has ruffled your feathers.

If it's the use of 'plonker' or saying Arsenal are a 'disgrace' then I apologise for the offending language. 'Hate' and 'rage' is certainly not how I intended my posts to come across.

Whilst you have been guilty of milking the thread in support of the Spuds, I don’t believe there’s been any hate or rage shown, so for once I’m on your side. But it’s been fully aired now so best left……..until the next diabolical decision is made!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:Much more important than whether clubs are flouting the rules or not, how about the survival chances of Rafa at Everton (i.e. more than this week) and can the “richest” club in the world (Newcastle) avoid relegation?
1. Everton- will sack Rafa tomorrow or after the emergency meeting. So zero chance IMO

2. Newcastle - "can" they survive the drop? Of course, its possible. I suspect your Q. is really 'will' they?

Truth is I don't know, or rather I don't have a strong feeling for it. I kind of think they might just get out of it. And probably at the expense of Everton who crucially they play twice in a short space of time soon, with Chris Wood heading the winning goals!

You were a day out Colonel- they sacked him today!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59532271
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:14 pm

You were a day out Colonel- they sacked him today!!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59532271
Well I did say Monday OR after the meeting, which was today, so I'm claiming I called it! Hahaha

But for the record I'm not going to claim after the event that I was 'against' his appointment per se. Nor was I for it , I was neutral.

I was not one of half the fan base who were dead against it simply due his history with LFC. I thought he 'might' make us very steady but very boring. The opposite is true we started like a train then fell to bits, albeit with injuries, along with some seriously poor management, tactics and subs in my book.

It also goes to show that some of these 'top' managers are/were only 'top' because they got to work with top players!

Actually, i honestly believe his disappointing tenure at Everton has absolutely no connection with LFC whatsoever. Its simply that's he's just outdated now, and crucially today's players don't like his style or tactics. I seriously doubt he'll manage in the Premiership again and will struggle in Europe too.

Apparently he NEVER praises a player, always finds a way to criticise them even if they scored a screamer to win a game! Sorry, but in todays world that's never going to work.

In modern football parlance this is called 'toxic' . And I think that's about the size of it. The board have rightly seen that, with this attitude and style, he would never ever be able turn that around, and that the players desperately need to be lifted if they are to survive relegation.

Bad appointment with hindsight.

Truth is the majority of Everton fans simply didn't know or appreciate just how lucky they were to have David Moyes as their Manager. I was not one of them. Top man!