What kind of dried seafood is in this photo?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

What kind of dried seafood is in this photo?

Post by Homer »

I've seen these dried .. things .. at the day market and have no idea what they are. Or how they are turned into this shape.

Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: What kind of dried seafood is in this photo?

Post by Spitfire »

From what I gather it's lots of fish put together when wet and then dried so they stick together. I think the tails of the individual fish are towards the middle of the circle. No idea what the name of it is though.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Spitfire wrote:From what I gather it's lots of fish put together when wet and then dried so they stick together.
Yep, you can see where each fish is halved down the middle.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

It looked like a bunch of little fish stuck together but I couldn't wrap my brain around why anyone would put in all that efford. But I do have two ideas: edible mini-frisbie, or maybe just a snack that can be stored in a CD drive.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Homer wrote:It looked like a bunch of little fish stuck together but I couldn't wrap my brain around why anyone would put in all that efford. But I do have two ideas: edible mini-frisbie, or maybe just a snack that can be stored in a CD drive.
It still amazes me when my missus looks at me like i'm eating an aliens head when i sit down for a fryup, yet they serve that up. :shock:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It looked like a bunch of little fish stuck together but I couldn't wrap my brain around why anyone would put in all that effort.
It's a long day watching fish dry!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Got this from someone who knows her dried seafood.

It's....

Wait for it...

Dried stingray tails.

:D :shock: :mrgreen: :cheers:
วินเชนท์
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

"haang plaa gra baehn" Stingray tails! That is exactly what they told me, but it was so hard to believe when you look at it so I did not want to burn my fingers on posting it.

And so far nobody can tell me how exactly it is produced (what holds the tails together? their own fat?) and why in this UFO shape? To be continued....
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Isn't it called Pla Wong ปลาวง (dried fish) at least that's what the lady in Bintabaht who sells the stuff told me.

A bit salty, but I loved it, simply grilled over hot charcoal and washed down with a cold beer. MMmmmm.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Roel wrote:"haang plaa gra baehn" Stingray tails! That is exactly what they told me, but it was so hard to believe when you look at it so I did not want to burn my fingers on posting it.

And so far nobody can tell me how exactly it is produced (what holds the tails together? their own fat?) and why in this UFO shape? To be continued....
The wife agrees :cheers: She says it's one of her favorites, but then she has a couple hundred favorites!! for a skinny lady
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Well Khundon1975, as said when I asked Thais what it was they told me "haang plaa gra baehn" หางปลากระเบน Literally stingray tails. And when I saw VincentD's post there were the stingray tails again. Maybe the lady who sells it can confirm this too.

Plaa wong simply means circle of fish (วง = circle), and that makes perfect sense as well.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Cheers Roel :thumb:

I'm a novice when it comes to speaking and writing Thai, (I should have asked the wife) so I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. :bow:

But I do know, those tails are scrummy. :cheers:

They must be caught by the millions, judging by the amount you see being sold around Thailand.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

The circles of dried small fish tails are made so it's easier to cook.
They are made from different species depending on availability.