Retirement Visa or Visa Based on Marriage?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
tood ling
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Retirement Visa or Visa Based on Marriage?

Post by tood ling »

ok one more time not that it matters. being married to a thai on a retirement visa is it 40,000 or 80,000 a month. do you put the fact that your married in the paper work
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote: The financial requirements are different - 800K savings in Thai bank account or min 65K income, or combination of the two as long as the total is over 800K a year are required for retirement. 400K or 40K a month required for marriage - no combination allowed with this one.
Quoting Lomu's previous post above. Being married to a Thai is not a factor concerning a retirement visa IMO. Just fill in the blanks and answer the questions that are on the forms. No need to supply more than they ask. If they want to know more they'll ask when you apply. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
tood ling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tood ling »

took awhile but l got lt. big boy l will be 140 days behind you can't wait.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've got a couple of the extension forms at home as I have to get mine again next month. You need a TM 7. It asks how long you want the extension to be so just put in 1 year and then the reason for the extension so that'll be retirement or married to a Thai.
I'm the same as tood ling in as much as can qualify for both. The essential difference is financial and the amount of savings or income for each extension have already been covered. If an applicant has an income of, say, 100K, or savings of 1 million (THBs) and they put down marriage to a Thai as the reason for the extension, I bet that the Imm officer will change it to retirement as it will make life easier for everyone - including the applicant. The extension itself dosn't mention the way it's been approved, just "premitted to stay until ....." (and the date - an extra year).
The only time it might make a difference is, as bapak has already said, you might want to do the four letter word call "work". You can't do so on a retirement extension but can change your status on the back of "marriage". As said though, the extension in your passport dosn't mention how you obtained it so I would imagine that it would be an easy task to get get Imm and then the Labour Department to change things so their records were up-to-date. I've never done that though.
Oh yes, to answer your specific question, tood ling, I agree with Pete. If you're going for retirement, there's no need to mention that your wife is Thai. It'll only confuse matters and if you qualify for retirement then that's the easist way to go.