FireFox Woes and Fixes

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: FireFox Woes and Fixes

Post by sandman67 »

I fixed the issues the drastic way

I junked FF completely and shifted to a modified version called COMODO ICEDRAGON

http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-too ... rowser.php

Its a modded version of FireFox, slimmed down and with extra added security. Runs like a dream, no hangs, no hard disk spin outs, no Adobe crashes. Lower RAM use, lower processor use. More secure, more stable.

Easy peasy to shift over your passwords and bookmarks, but you will have to re-download and install your fave plug ins like adblok and downloadhelper - almost all FF plugins are fully compatible with ID - the ones that arent are usually ones with security issues.

So.... there you go. Sometimes the easiest fix is to just pack it in and walk away, and shift to a different browser altogether.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I'm currently on 20.1.1 and getting all sorts of problems. Slowing down, windows popping up all over the place.

I know I can go back but can't remember which was the best.

Any thoughts?

Anybody other than Sandman gone the 'Icedragon' route?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Malware mate, download Spybot and scan your machine - FF20.0.1 works like a dream.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Malwarebytes and spybot at least twice a week but still get down periods. Could be conflict with Azarueus downloads though but how can I check and stop multiple new windows popping up every 20 minutes?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PET
Legend
Legend

Firefox and Adobe Flashplayer

Post by PET »

I have Firefox 20.0.1 which Buksi recommended and it is very fast.

I cannot6 download Adobe Flashplayer which I need to watch the Sky Sports Channels by streaming - I have tried with Avast disabled but still not accepted - anyone with the answer please ?>
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Download and install it manually (don't use the plugin): http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The latest edition of Firefox is 22, you may need to update that first to accept the latest Flash player.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

buksida wrote:Download and install it manually (don't use the plugin): http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

The latest edition of Firefox is 22, you may need to update that first to accept the latest Flash player.
Ok I shall give it a go but do you find 22 as good and as fast as 20.0.1?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Didn't notice the difference, I have it set on auto-update. The only problems I ever get are with the Flash player.
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

sandman67 wrote:Im a miserable neo-Luddite though who thinks mobiles are for calling people up and sending SMS texts and THAT is all.
All these tech-savvy new-age gadget-geeks are disheartening. SMS? Wots that? I have an Underwood for writing messages.

PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

PET wrote:
buksida wrote:Download and install it manually (don't use the plugin): http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Ok I shall give it a go but do you find 22 as good and as fast as 20.0.1?
Sorry Buksi, no joy I'm afraid
buksida

Post by buksida »

Did you upgrade Firefox first?
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

buksida wrote:Did you upgrade Firefox first?
Yes I have FF22 now but when I try to manually download Adobe Flash and the installation gets to 50% it stops and tells me I have to close Mozilla Firefox. If I do it continues to install and Internet Explorer then confirms a successful installation.

I have disabled Avast for this installation, but I have not done anything to Spybot - should I ?

I can watch the Sky Sports Stream on IE but it would be more convenient to do so on FF, I used to dislike the Flashplayer also but now I need it for streaming!
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are two different Flash players, sounds like you're downloading the one for IE - you need the FF one: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Latest version is 11.8.800.94

Yes, disable Spybot also.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

In FF go to Tools then Add-ons and see if the Java Platform has been disabled.
You will probably need the next generation Java Plug-in 10.25.2 for Mozilla Browsers.
Btw. I'm not using FF but Comodo Ice Dragon and no problems with that browser.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

buksida wrote:There are two different Flash players, sounds like you're downloading the one for IE - you need the FF one: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Latest version is 11.8.800.94

Yes, disable Spybot also.
OK I shall try this afternoon, how do I disable Spybot without uninstalling it ?